• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sorry Bolts, but Semi Autos stole my heart...

Sorry gonzo but I am just as good with a bolt as any other weapon in the game. I just get sick of all the "automatics are for noobz" bull****.

"You will only understand the level of acceptance when you are evolved to a next fase".
So if you think you mastered all fases you know why we elitisch haved so much fun talking about this issue, if not you will take this seriously and that makes us elite laugh even louder.

Upvote 0
FWIW, I will use an Auto or SA if I can get one and the map dictates one.
Long range maps are better for the bolt.

IMHO, anybody that is really good with a bolt gun deserves respect and does not deserve to be called an "elitist".
That IMHO was out of line.

It takes skill to use a bolt against SMG and MP44/SVT wielding opponents.

If somebody tell you an SMG is a noob weapon, then it is mostly tougue in cheek. I use them also and do not feel insulted by that because it is a fact that noobs tend to stay away from bolts. It's just a fact and nothing more.

Upvote 0
Well see I really don't have to stretch to be effective with a bolt, that's what I am talking about, overall effectiveness.

One of my favourite weapons to assault Odessa with is the M44 carbine, and for me that includes being in on taking the objectives at close range too. But then again Odesssa is replete with rifleman cover which can be used to engage automatics with great success even at short range. It's the same with Baksan Valley my favourite weapon on it is the M38 and even in the old version when the Germans had no semi-autos I could do well with my reliable old KAR98 and wouldn't ***** (like everyone else seemed too) about the lack of German semi's.

I'm sorry but IMHO: real men can kill anyone dead with anything :p

now if only we could choke the germans with toiletpaper from the Odessa bathrooms:p just stuff em up real good:p

Upvote 0
2 v 1

2 v 1

I think the problem is not the gun, but the strategy for using it. The landser will have to hang back and pick off attacking opponents where the semi's or full auto's are more close-in combat weapons. I think the idea is for the single-shot long range rifles to hang back while the auto's engage close quarters and take objectives.
don't get me wrong, i love the bolt but sometimes have trouble when there is more than 1-2 opponents 3 feet in front of me spraying their mp's at me

Upvote 0
Real men use bolt action rifles. :p

omg! Landser youre still alive :eek:

god knows, i always loved your signature! :D

and if you are really used to bolts and semis, you of course can notice the difference in accuracy, i miss targets with a semi frequently more often then i do with a bolt. I mean its alot how someone sense this for himself, but thats how it feels for me.

Upvote 0
I have used the bolt ever since I played Red Orchestra, and since my computer is so slow, Rifleman is the only class I could use in infantry maps, since the rest of the classes were already taken. My computer got faster, and I have used the Semi auto rifle more and more, and forgot the bolt. Now I know why everybody picks the Semi Auto class first.

In use, there is very little difference in accuracy, so tiny, its bearly noticeable. Semi Auto Rifles and Bolts accuracy are identical. Sure, Semi Autos sway more, but if you rest the gun on a surface, or you go prone, the sway disappears like any other gun. Anything you can hit with a bolt, you can do the exact same with a semi. However, the Semi Auto can shoot 10 times before reloading, the bolt carries less rounds, and is much slower. The reload is much faster too, which makes a massive difference. The damage is the same, and now that you carry 5 extra rounds with a Semi, you are much more dangerous, and better. Simply put, the Semi has twice as much rounds as a Bolt, shoots much faster, has fast reload, and a bolter will be much more efficent and deadly with one.

Edit:Also, people tell me that Semi Auto Rifles are horrible sniper weapons, I disagree, Semi Autos are better than bolts for sniping. After I shoot, I have to bolt, and it ruins my aim, and I lose the target. Now, with semi, after I miss a shot, I can shoot again, and I don't lose the target. Also, the reload makes a difference. The reload is soo slow with bolt, I swear, the entire team escaped me. The Semi reload is fast, so nobody gets away.

The SVT-40 is simply a masterpiece. Its as accurate as a bolt, and with more ammo, faster firing rate, and a wicked design, with a bayonet as an extra, I don't think I will go back to bolting anyday.

Prone + Rested

Semi Auto rifles still sway SLIGHTLY... very very very little up and downwards...

Bolts do not

As for sniper rifles...
Even rested... for some reason, I have had pretty bad luck with both G43 and SVT Semi's

But I do agree about the reload time and amount of bullets it carries...

The Semi is superior... but I like to go for the challenge and often pick up the Bolt

Upvote 0
I find the sights on most of the semis to be just not my taste. Mostly regarding the front sight. On the G43, the front sight seems to obscure the target a bit much. On the SVT-40 it's a bit better, but still seems...off to me. I definitely prefer the SVT, though.

My main complaint about the semis, however, is the fact that they seem to kick a good bit more than the bolties. They seem to bounce around quite a bit, really, which makes ME less accurate with them. That doesn't mean the RIFLE is less accurate -- when rested and firing a single shot, they both seem mostly the same at effective engagement ranges (though it'll depend on the visual range on the map -- at longer ranges, IE: +400m, the boltie seems a bit more accurate). But I'm rarely just resting the weapon.

I am actually trying to train myself to use the semis more. I find if you can use the semi reliably, you can use the bolties with ease. It's like going from manual to automatic transmission (but in reverse, oddly -- I think bolties are easier to use than semis).

As for SMGs, those are specialized weapons, in my mind. They're SUPPOSED to be "noob" weapons in close. They're not really meant for precision. Spray and pray from the hip is often the order of the day, although burst fire from iron sights works too (sometimes -- depends on range and such). But SMGs are only useful at close range, really. SOMETIMES they can be marginally useful at medium range, but not that often.

That's pretty much how most weapons play out in RO. They're good at their role, and bad when you take them out of their role and try to use them for unintended purposes.

Upvote 0
I agree 100% on the SVT recoil. I own an SVT40 and it recoils less than my K98k and MN91/30 in the real world.

The reason is obviouse. The loading action soaks up the recoil and the SVT also sports a built in break which the bolts do not have.

I have been b****ing about this for a while now. The SMG recoils is also overdone. Maybe that's why the noobs can't hit anything with them LOL.

Upvote 0
Shoot a Semi Auto, and pull your mouse down, it will reduce recoil.

I admit Bolts are much better than Semi Autos in long range, but very rarely do you ever have distances that far. Theres alot of custom maps that make bolts superior. I like to play Urban Maps (Danzig, Odessa), so thats why I prefer a Semi, where most of combat involves short and medium range. Theres a custom map called Hill something (I forgot), and its almost impossible hitting people with a Semi, the bullets all go to the side, theres Germans on top of a hill, and russians have to go up.

Upvote 0
Shoot a Semi Auto, and pull your mouse down, it will reduce recoil.

I admit Bolts are much better than Semi Autos in long range, but very rarely do you ever have distances that far. Theres alot of custom maps that make bolts superior. I like to play Urban Maps (Danzig, Odessa), so thats why I prefer a Semi, where most of combat involves short and medium range. Theres a custom map called Hill something (I forgot), and its almost impossible hitting people with a Semi, the bullets all go to the side, theres Germans on top of a hill, and russians have to go up.

I do not have a problem with hitting things with the SVT40. And that is in the game AND in real life, so I disagree that it is harder to use a Semi over a bolt.
But I do have a problem with the recoil of the SVT and PPSHs in the game being totally off base.

I know about pulling the mouse down, my point is that we should not have to do that because in RL recoil is LESS than the bolt. If Tripwire wants to be fair more realistic then we would even have to use the mouse to re-steady the bolt guns after popping off a round.

My argument is to get rid of the overhyped recoil of SMGs and SAs and just make the SMGs a little less accurate when sprayed. Do this by giving them a wider spread on full auto. This would be a better and more realistic trade off.

At the same time you could fix it so that the PPSH could pop off a single round and be accurate at 100yards. If sprayed your bullet pattern will go all over as in the real world but get rid of the ridiculouse recoil. It's annoying and detracts from the realism of the game.

With that said, the SA should be exactly the same as the bolt within 100-200yards. Beyond that I would give the bolt guns a slight advantage.

But that's just what I would do. And that would probably ruin the game for everybody so Ill keep it to myself...not. :D

Upvote 0
By 'capwhores' he means the people who understand the point of the game and play to win.

There is a real disconnect with the pub players these days. Disconnected from the point of the game. Usually I try to be cool and give advice over VOIP if I see players who dont seem to know what to do. Lately however I've been handed serious bad attitude from pub players when I try to rally the team. The last couple of weeks I've had a really hard time finding good games because the servers seem to be filled with players who dont understand capzones and how they are the focus of the game.

As it is now, when I'm in the mood for some RO... I log in - check my buddy list for people I KNOW will play a good game - if I cant find anyone then I join a pub that has a map I feel like playing - then I lightly play for a few minutes to get a feel of how the players are acting on that server (are they trying to cap/ or defend the capzone, are they using the VOIP well etc. etc.) - if the players on that server cant be bothered with the capzones and simply want to run around and attack (even when they are the defending team) then I leave that server right away.

So in turn, clans are sounding better and better everyday - simply because the games are usually of higher quality. However there are a lot of things I dont get into with clans... like the inevitable drama, TeamSpeak (sorry, but I cant stand constant chatting and/or other conversations going on while I'm playing.. it drives me crazy. Open voice channels BLOW), and I dont feel I have enough time to commit to a clan. Stuck with the frustration of pub matches I guess.

REZ - 'Cmon get in the capzone!! They're about to take it... defend!!'
ROPlayer - 'F you man! You Svck!' /runs past capzone right into MG fire *dies*
REZ - 'niiice, nice. You're helping us tremendously'

If you are a new player.... please make the capzones your focus. I understand you can play however you like - if you want to ignore the capzones then thats your prerogative - but you'll never be a good player if all you want to do is 'kill, kill, kill'. The game is a bit more deep than how good of a killer you are, believe it or not.

....aaaand just to stay on topic - I am a Boltie. The only way a semi auto rifle has the advantage on me is if we both turn the same corner at the same exact time. Then with some mad hipshooting I'm probably dead, but long range the semi loses, unsurprised close quarters you lose as well. I recommend everyone master the bolts for both teams.

Last edited:
Upvote 0