• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sorry Bolts, but Semi Autos stole my heart...

When I have rifles, I tend to stick to "ghost of the battlefiend" tactics, whether I'm using semiautos or bolt-actions. That said, I'll usually try to steal an opposing-team semiauto, so I can sneak behind their movement lanes and commence mass slaughter from behind. It takes longer for people to figure it out that way.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but in Red Orchestra, Semi Autos beat bolts in every single way, except accuracy, but you have 10 rounds, and surely you can hit your target by then.
At long ranges my bolt's accuracy will drop you before you can fire the rest of your rounds.:)

I like playing with bolts but there are times when I prefer a semi. It depends on the map. If the firefights are close to medium range, like Danzig or Odessa, I'll sometimes choose a semi. I tried a semi on Odessa last night but I wasn't quite satisfied. It's great for clearing the apartments and square but I missed my bolt for long range shots into the HQ or tower. I killed an enemy sniper who stumbled into me and proceeded to clear the HQ with his scoped bolt rifle.:)

Upvote 0
When I have rifles, I tend to stick to "ghost of the battlefiend" tactics, whether I'm using semiautos or bolt-actions. That said, I'll usually try to steal an opposing-team semiauto, so I can sneak behind their movement lanes and commence mass slaughter from behind. It takes longer for people to figure it out that way.

Knowing the sound of each gun can go both ways.

Upvote 0
I always love this discussion.

It all has to do with challenge.
When you start playing this game its a challenge to stay alive long enough to even spot an enemy.
Then you notice the grenades on your belt and you are challenged not to TK with them. Finaly you even will get some kills with them.
After that its a challenge to kill an enemy by spraying your SMG.
The next step is the challenge of mastering the SEMI.
When you are bored with that the next level is MG and at last the BOLTS.

You will only understand the level of acceptance when you are evolved to a next fase. So if you are for instance in the SEMI-Fase you cannot understand the MG

Upvote 0
Bolts all the way!!
One shot, One kill.

As a sniper you shouldnt need a semi auto, you should hit first time.And if you dont you need to question you career choice.
Dont get me wrong though, semi's have there place in the game, but for me it aint picking people off at range.
Agree 100%.

Some maps may be great for semis, as a russian sniper with SVT on Basovka for example, but I use bolts 95% of the time.

I am a decent sniper (actually I am very good) and on a map like Stalingrad I usually end up among the top 3 from kills alone. If I am the German sniper I can stop anyone moving in snipers alley, on the roof and then some. Now, I do realise I can't use a semi sniper as a german, but I don't think it would be possible to hit russians running behind the sandbags on the russian side of snipers alley 4 out of 5 times with a semi sniper. Or hit an enemy sniper/MG'er hidden there EVERY time. I do just that, even if I can see only the top of their heads through the fog.

If I play on the Russian side on Stalingrad and pick the SVT I often get a bucketload of kills UNLESS the sniper on the German side is more than half-decent. Or if the germans has a good bolter or two on their team. All it takes is hiding in the admin building and make good use of leaning. More than once I have missed my first shot with the SVT, hitting the windowsill instead. I can SEE that the bullet hits an inch from where I was aiming, which of course was on the enemy. Before I can aim again I am dead.

And no, it's not because of recoil - it's my first shot. And yes, I am very good with both bolts and semis without scope, so it's not that either.

The first couple months of RO I used bolts 90% of the time, semis if I could... which means I am excellent with bolts and semis and almost as good with MG's. I am s h i t with SMGs and tanks (well I can hit other tanks but can't angle very well). I have only the utmost respect for SMG'ers who can hit, and kill, me from 100 yards away.

Anyway, my conclusion would be that semis are super, bolts are more fun and they are superior sniperrifles. Unless you are defending a specific street/alley/entrance where you expect heavy assaulting.

Most of the time you only have one shot before the enemy is gone anyway, smart players aren't stationary and will move from cover to cover.

Bah. I hate writing posts at work, they become too fragmented since I write one sentence every 20 minutes :p

Upvote 0
Quite simply, semi-auto snipers are almost a necessity on the urban maps, notably Stalingrad. The ranges aren't nearly long enough to need to worry about inherent accuracy issues, and the 10 shots, fast reload saves your butt many times in a CQB situation.

As for Semis in general, I love 'em. :) Just use them like you would a bolt action. A bolt action with 10 rounds, speedy reload, and rapid follow-up shots. In CQB, I can easily drop enemies with single hip shots. From longer ranges, just resting the rifle and aiming works wonders.

Bolters can whine all they want about "Real Men" (Arg!), but my semi-auto will drop 5 of your "Real Men" (Arg!) before they take me down. ;)

Upvote 0
i even don't like the shorter bolt rifles, the old long barreled bolts for me all the way. I don't care about lots of bullets. 1 bullet should mean a kill and if i need more bullets in fast rapid motion, i'm playing in an area i'm not intended to be in. Sure sometimes you need to safe yourself from there but if you get killed its your own fault.

At up to medium range against enemies behind cover, leaning or just aiming above. I take a bolt above all other weapons.

Upvote 0