• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sooner or later you'll run out of memory

One more advice: Stocktake custom content your server is running. "More" doesn't mean "better". "I want it all" approach usually leads to various issues. Maybe removing some useless or similar guns (e.g. AK47/Golden AK47/MKB42 - keeping only one of them doesn't affect gameplay at all) and annoying zeds can not only help with memory issues, but also improve the overall gameplay.

Upvote 0
How about character skins?

How about character skins?

I'm wondering is there a preload/unload assets for Skins too? Any help would be appreciated.

Code:
class Skin extends PlayerRecordClass;

#exec OBJ LOAD FILE="Skin.ukx"
#exec obj load file="Skin.utx"

simulated static function xUtil.PlayerRecord FillPlayerRecord()
{
    local xUtil.PlayerRecord PRE;

PRE.Species = Class'SkinMod.SkinSpecies'; // Species (can be used to replace sounds or misc stuff)
    PRE.MeshName = string(Mesh'Skin.Skin_Soldier'); // Name of the mesh.
    PRE.BodySkinName = string(Texture'Skin_T.Skin_skin'); // Body skin name (Material #0)
    PRE.FaceSkinName = string(Material'Skin_T.Skin_skin'); // Face skin name (Material #1)
    PRE.Portrait = Texture'Skin_T.Skin_portrait'; // Portrait texture
    PRE.TextName = "Skin"; // Description text.
    PRE.VoiceClassName = string(Class'Skin.SkinVoicePack'); // Voice pack
    PRE.Sex = "M"; // M = Male, F = Female
    PRE.Menu = "SP"; // Not needed to modify.
    PRE.Skeleton = string(Mesh'KFSoldiers.Soldier'); // Unused in KF
    PRE.Ragdoll = "British_Soldier1"; // Should be this only.
    return PRE;
}

defaultproperties
{
}
BTW, I'm using character skins on ServerPerksX to enable the skins with ServerPerksMut.

Also, how about ZEDs? For example, most custom servers will have a lot of different ZEDs added to RTD and not all of them would be spawned every map. This is getting very interesting as we look deeper into it...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why do you need to dynamically load zeds? If you're running some zed mutators, that means those zeds will be spawned, i.e. memory will be allocated anyway. If you want to remove some custom zeds (e.g. via config vote option), the don't load the mutator = zed wan't be loaded into the memory.

Difference between zeds and weapons is that there could be hundreds of weapons in the trader lists, but players are using only a couple of dozens of them during the wave. So unused weapons are unloaded to free some memory. Zeds added to the squads will spawn anyway, sooner or later. So I don't see the reason of dynamic load of their data.

Upvote 0
My other post hasn't been approved yet.
What I forgot to add is that the custom zeds won't be spawned in all the waves, some are not even spawned unless called by !rtd, that's why I'm interested if there's a way to dynamically load their resources.
That's different as !rtd has a direct "spawn this", whereas the casual spawn system can't reset the specimen list. After awhile (depending on how many custom specimens you have), the less maps you can play with a full direct list of specimens. After awhile the custom ones start to run out of letters to be and will replace the default specimens, resulting in them eventually not spawning at all. Reset the server and it should fix it but I think PoosH added a fix into his mutator that. How are you using custom specimens?

Upvote 0
That's different as !rtd has a direct "spawn this", whereas the casual spawn system can't reset the specimen list. After awhile (depending on how many custom specimens you have), the less maps you can play with a full direct list of specimens. After awhile the custom ones start to run out of letters to be and will replace the default specimens, resulting in them eventually not spawning at all. Reset the server and it should fix it but I think PoosH added a fix into his mutator that. How are you using custom specimens?

Some custom zeds are not added to the squad list to be spawned by the casual spawn system. But their mutators are still loaded so !rtd can spawn them, or be summoned by an admin. But even if those zeds don't get spawned, they take up memory right?

Upvote 0
Some custom zeds are not added to the squad list to be spawned by the casual spawn system. But their mutators are still loaded so !rtd can spawn them, or be summoned by an admin. But even if those zeds don't get spawned, they take up memory right?
I personally would rather have the specimens be cached ready to be used instantly when needed. This is to slow down the load between and during waves as it could cause a little lag to clients and maybe the sync between client and server may have hitchs. Not sure if the above will happen but it's a guess to what would happen.

Upvote 0
I encounter a problem with 1st person mesh. If player spawned with weapon, the 1st person mesh would be missing, but dropping and picking it up or buying it from trader makes it reappear. Anyway to fix this problem?

Another issues, is that on certain weapons, the Refs have trouble linking to meshes and textures in cache folder. Is there a work around for this issue also?

Upvote 0
I encounter a problem with 1st person mesh. If player spawned with weapon, the 1st person mesh would be missing, but dropping and picking it up or buying it from trader makes it reappear. Anyway to fix this problem?

Another issues, is that on certain weapons, the Refs have trouble linking to meshes and textures in cache folder. Is there a work around for this issue also?

I find that it's sometimes missing the OBJ LOAD EXEC statement that leads to these kinds of things happening.

Upvote 0