• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Sniper Elite V2

I could never picture how that could be realistically possible anyway.

Well, I guess that masking a shot with a single other loud noise is not possible IRL. But if you have an environment where rapid loud pops and explosions happen, you could just sneak your shot in and hope it doesn't sound distinct enough from the regular bangs...

And on the demo: played it on PS3, elite sniper difficulty.

The maps are as linear as CoD maps, I'd had more hoped to have open maps with various vantage points, but alas, nope, you got no say whatsoever from where you approach objectives.
Ballisitcs are nice.
Killcams and x-ray shots are nice at first, but even the demo is long enough that both of them overtsay their welcome.
It's not difficult...

Upvote 0
Yeah, I played on Custom with everything set to the hardest possible, but I wanted to keep the tactical assists, because they're features and I want to check them out. But it definitely feels like this should be the easy mode.
So even if you just want Normal, let alone Hard or above, you're **** out of luck.:(

Killcams and the xray shots don't seem to highlight particular "special" kills well either. Seems more random than it should, imo. Iirc, this was handled better in SE1, but I could be wrong.
I don't like the skeleton-view in general. Doesn't fit at all, and even if it did I would want to know what vital organs I hit, not just what bones I shattered, but the effects on organs seem to be sorely lacking.

Upvote 0
Just tried the PS3 demo, damn was I wrong about this game! Sure it is kinda linear or at least the demo level is, but it still felt kinda open to me and I just love the gameplay/approach to it. It just feels good playing something tactical or at least pseudo-tactical after all those 08/15 cod clones. Pre-ordered the PC version for 33,99

Upvote 0
Is this even coming out on PC? It'ss available for pre-order on Steam alright but many big pages like amazon.de or zavvi.com do not have it listed for PC.

Its only on steam it seems.

Well, I guess that masking a shot with a single other loud noise is not possible IRL. But if you have an environment where rapid loud pops and explosions happen, you could just sneak your shot in and hope it doesn't sound distinct enough from the regular bangs...

And on the demo: played it on PS3, elite sniper difficulty.

The maps are as linear as CoD maps, I'd had more hoped to have open maps with various vantage points, but alas, nope, you got no say whatsoever from where you approach objectives.
Ballisitcs are nice.
Killcams and x-ray shots are nice at first, but even the demo is long enough that both of them overtsay their welcome.
It's not difficult...

Depends really, if you have even been sitting at the reciveing side of a rifle.. 200 meters ++ away.. the sound you hear there could imo be muffled by an artilleryshell or something.

Anyways, its a nice feature. Only thing that bugs me is when you shoot someone in a group they instantly know where you are.. and rush your house.. and search for ****ing ever... they never give up.

and I really really wish the maps was less linear.. more like SE1

Upvote 0
So, how do I time the shots with explosions?

I have set everything to max realisms, but it always plays out like this: Hide, shoot first guy. Get hit by enemy fire. Enemies swarm out like bees. I change position. Peek out - get shot at. Change position and hide. Still get shot at. Screw it and simply take shots at the enemies and kill them despite getting constantly hit. Area clear, move to next. Rinse and repeat.

Is there a more tactical or elegant way to play the game or is that basically it?

Upvote 0
Depends really, if you have even been sitting at the reciveing side of a rifle.. 200 meters ++ away.. the sound you hear there could imo be muffled by an artilleryshell or something.

Anyways, its a nice feature. Only thing that bugs me is when you shoot someone in a group they instantly know where you are.. and rush your house.. and search for ****ing ever... they never give up.

So, how do I time the shots with explosions?

I have set everything to max realisms, but it always plays out like this: Hide, shoot first guy. Get hit by enemy fire. Enemies swarm out like bees. I change position. Peek out - get shot at. Change position and hide. Still get shot at. Screw it and simply take shots at the enemies and kill them despite getting constantly hit. Area clear, move to next. Rinse and repeat.

Is there a more tactical or elegant way to play the game or is that basically it?
It seems there's a indicator in some parts of the game to tell when you can do it. It seemed like he was using thunder to mask his shots in the demo end trailer.

Upvote 0
Bullet cam is pretty damn awesome if you ask me.

The level design however is really lineair, usually just 1 way to go in the demo mission except for near the end I've found, where you can flank a German soldier and melee-kill him.
As such i'm a bit disappointed. Controls could use some tweaking too. Just some first impressions so far.

Upvote 0
I played the demo. My thoughts:

The bad:

1) Huge disconnect between movement and shooting. For a game based on precision shooting, this is a big issue.
2) 3rd person view is annoying. Again, for a game that is supposed to have detailed weapon behavior this is problematic.
3) No lean or prone.
4) No sights for any of the weapons saved for the scoped rifles.
5) No 3D scopes. A 2012 game based on snipers and you don't add it in? Really?
6) Weapon ballistics are so off that it makes the shooting feel very artificial. You might as well be shooting a shotgun with slugs based on how much the rounds drop from your M1903.
7) Placing your back against a wall either zooms in your camera or means you are looking at a wall and can not see your player.
8) The first part of the demo map was tiny and did not offer any room to maneuver. Essentially a straight path with some areas to hide in.
9) Does not look like there is an option to disable the "organs being shot" view. Very annoying, and combined with the large disconnect between character and weapon interaction, you feel very disconnecting from doing much of anything.

The good:

1) Graphics looked nice.
2) Frame rates were high, 80-100 with maxed out settings, 1680x1050 16AF.
3) AA looked very smooth. Maybe the engine is UE3 with DX11?
4) The demo claims there is co-op in the full game.
5) Some interesting weapons like trip mines. Maybe if later maps open up they can be of use.

Summary:

They missed a lot, at least for me The lack of first person, bad weapon modeling, lack of body stance options, and gimmcky organ shot being shot view makes the game far less fun that it potentially could have been, I might get it when it hits $5 or so for co-op, but otherwise I think it is a lot of wasted potential.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
3) No lean or prone.
On the console you can hold the crouch button to go prone. Probably the same in the PC version.

6) Weapon ballistics are so off that it makes the shooting feel very artificial. You might as well be shooting a shotgun with slugs based on how much the rounds drop from your M1903.
I noticed that too, but with the levels this small they had to exaggerate the ballistic arc or that whole mechanic would pretty much be a moot point...:(

Upvote 0
I noticed that too, but with the levels this small they had to exaggerate the ballistic arc or that whole mechanic would pretty much be a moot point...:(

And that is what kills the game (at least in the demo): the maps. Sneaking around is hard because there is no alternative route, the AI on the most difficult setting just charges you (save for snipers), using mines is also rather hard because there are not many chances you can even set them up without them seeing and charging you.

To put it simply, I don't feel like someone who is trying to sneak around, identify targets, and make a few accurate shots and escape without being found. And I think this is where the game became boring for me.

Looks like prone is indeed in, which is good. But the overall gameplay seems to be off. If the co-op works I would be interested when this goes on sale.

Graphics do look rather nice, and it is nice to get 80 frame rates in a game that looks that good.

Upvote 0
I accidentally discovered you can blow people up by shooting the grenades on their belts.

"That damn doctor never pays attention. It's always in one ear and out the other with him!"
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0