• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Sniper Elite V2

Upvote 0
I don't know. I played on Veteran and well, for a linear shooter they're doing fine, I guess. Realistically after the first shot fired they should all be on to you, but only the ones within the block that matters for gameplay at the moment (i.e. everyone down the road, but not the ones two streets further, guarding the vantage point) react. Those do though, and they try to get closer. They don't seem to be concerned about taking cover and instead they try to swarm you. Doesn't seem to make sense, but they're really terrible shots from afar so they really don't have a choice, lol.

With regenerating health (pretty much like in Call of Duty 2) you can just hold off groups of them without much trouble. If they're 50m or farther away from you and you're not out in the open they present practically zero danger to you.
The only chance the poor fellas have is to rush you and maybe get into a close quarters battle, where their horrible aim is still good enough to drop you in a second or two.

Enemy snipers seem pretty much fixed and they only really move in and out of their little cover. Like in the first game.
They don't seem to stalk you or anything. At least the ones in the demo didn't. Since they can't kill you with one shot and you have regenerating health they aren't really a problem then. You just let yourself get shot until you see the muzzle flash and then you wait until they show up there again.

Maybe it's different on Elite and maybe they get better later on in the game, but in the demo, on Veteran, they were regrettably harmless.

You can turn off all the "tactical assists". These include a ghost image that looks like a glass version of you and it shows up where an enemy sniper saw you last so you know where he thinks you are. Not sure what good that does you except block your view occasionally...
You can also hold a focus button while you're looking through the scope and it'll blend in a red diamond that gets smaller and it shows you where the bullet will end up so you can compensate for wind and gravity (the lower your heart-rate the faster it blends in and the faster it gets smaller. What's cool is the point isn't just in the middle of the big diamond but it's somewhere, randomly, in the big diamond, so the smaller you let it get the more accurate it actually is). Kind of like the ideal racing line in Forza or GT this is pretty cool for new-comers to get an idea of how much you have to compensate. After you're used to it you can turn it off.
I think there was something else, but I forgot. Anyway, you can disable all of them (doesn't seem like you can disable the regenerating health though. I could be wrong. Didn't really check the options, but it wasn't on the custom difficulty screen).

The game now has a cover system. Works more or less like in Gears of War, except sprinting out of cover isn't quite as convenient. It's more comfortable/less fuzzy than in GTA IV or Red Dead Redemption though and as far as I could tell it's completely optional, meaning it doesn't make a difference if you're kneeling behind something or kneeling behind something "in cover".
It's not bad, but I think with the cover system in place you won't have to shoot from inside buildings but you can just walk up to windows and shoot from there. Would be weird if the AI would hold that against you somehow, what with the cover system tempting you and all.
But then, it really didn't seem like the AI was that complex anyhow.

The stupid skeleton-view got on my nerves. Occasionally you get some weird hits, like I shattered both kneecaps of some poor Kraut with one shot and then it's kinda cool that the skeleton-view points this out to you, but in general I think it's just out of place. The regular kill-cams you get occasionally, where people get hit like in Sniper Elite 1 and you don't see the skeleton, are much better, imo.

The amounts of ammo soldiers carry is completely arbitrary. When you kill someone with an MP40 you can pick up his weapon by walking over it, but you only absorb laughably few rounds this way, and you can search his dead body for a couple more, but you only get like 2-10 rounds from someone this way! Interestingly, you can't use these rounds for your Welrod pistol, because the Welrod has a separate ammo pool... but dead Wehrmacht soldiers occasionally carry +1 lone Welrod round on them for some reason...
So as far as that goes the realism:balance ratio is tilted all the way to balance.

Don't expect something like Hidden & Dangerous 2.

Upvote 0
I felt sooo much sympathy pain watching that lol :p

But if there is health regeneration, I'm out. Was looking to get it, but that's just meh.
The sniper AI in Sniper Elite 1 was interesting though. There were some snipers who were perched on rooftops and as such they werent able to move around that much, but they would relocate in the space available to them and also peek out on different times before crawling back out of sight and moving to another spot. For such a stationary foe they were pretty unpredictable.

There were also snipers on the lower ground though, and those had a lot more freedom to move around.
I had a pretty interesting fight with one of them on the first mission, where we continued missing eachother. He'd move out of sight and elsewhere, and we played a pretty cool game of hide and seek.
Other times he simply waited in his position, making me think he moved on. Then he'd crawl out and shoot me in the back hehe.

Upvote 0
Ok.. played the demo.
-I dont like the linear approach.
-Bots never give up trying to find you if you hide. and are really good at spotting you even if you are slowly crawling through shadows etc etc..
-oversimplefied ( ofc its xbox, would have liked more adjustments posebilites to scope etc)
-atlest on my xbox.. crap consol graphics =D
- no real ways to sneak around due to what seems to me too linear maps.
'
+ yay! sniper game with bullet drop, wind etc etc etc <3 <3 <3
+ love being able to sneak around in what little enviorment we get
+ fun to try to pull off shots and not getting hear ( time with explosion etc)

This is a buyer.. FOR THE PC

-- edit---

and yeh, the welrod makes way too much "pooof" sound.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
+ fun to try to pull off shots and not getting hear ( time with explosion etc)
I didn't know you could do that.

Wouldn't be worth much though, because only the soldiers who're supposed to fight you will hear you anyway. E.g. when you shoot the first guy in the demo, the one leaning in that entrance, the guys just 30something meters from him won't notice. Until you creep down and shoot one of them. Then they're all on to you. But not the absent-minded dude one building farther who you're supposed to take out with the Welrod. Similar situation in the next street. You shoot around wildly, taking out everyone on the ground plus the sniper in the building, but the guy napping, listening to music is blissfully ignorant of all of this because you're supposed to "sneak up on him" when you climb up to the vantage point later on.
None of this makes sense at all so it seems weird to me that you could somehow mask your shots with environmental sounds when hearing is such a non-issue otherwise.:confused:

Not saying you're wrong, mind you! I honestly don't know. It would just seem odd to me, considering how the game seems to work. That's all.

Offtopic: I could never picture how that could be realistically possible anyway. How do you know when exactly the explosion sound is going to happen? Maybe you see a huge red rocket fall, ok, for the sake of argument, but how accurately can you then judge how far away it's going to land? 300m makes a full second difference due to the sound's traveling time!
People are going to hear the explosion at different times too.
They're also going to hear your shot at different times. Assuming you're a super-robot who can triangulate all of that on the fly and can still time your shot perfectly: Who are you going to time it for? The guys 100m from you or the guys 400m from you? Again a full second difference.

Unless you time it perfectly, and even then unless the explosion is close and insanely loud, a shot sounds different than an explosion.

It just doesn't seem possible to use this as a viable tactic (as a freak accident, where you get insanely lucky and there is just one other group around who could hear the shots but miraculously they miss it because an explosion happened to happen at the exact same time) unless it's happening in a movie, where none of that matters.
Say, Enemy At The Gates...:rolleyes:

With barrages of explosions maybe. Under fire from a Katyusha, perhaps. Food for thought.

Upvote 0