• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SMG Recoil reducer D/L!

Grobut

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2006
Denmark
CUEERENT VERSION 1.6.

Its a very small mutator called "Recoiler", which makes controlling SMG's, especially the PPSH, much easier.

What does it do? it tweaks all the SMG's slightly:

1) Random horizontal recoil (side to side kicking) is greatly reduced on all SMG's, so whilst they still do kick, they are much more predictable, and thus, shooting them is more a game of skill than chance now.

2) Recoil when standing and aiming is reduced slightly, aslong as you take the time to aim your weapon, you will be rewarded with reasonable control over it, but its still quite hard to use them at long range unless you crouch or prone, but atleast now, you can do room-room clearing without crawling along.

3) general recoil tweaks, most weapons are barely touched apart from the above two points, but especially the PPSH has been tweaked quite a bit so its not so useless (its about PPD-40 levels of usefull now).

SMG recoil has been a hot potato for a long time in this community, so, now we can all test for ourselves how lower recoil will play!
My hope is that this will show alot of people that tweaking them slightly will not spell doom and gloom for gameplay, but actually enhance it, well, lets see then.. just keep in mind that i have not aimed for 100% realism here, but for a happy medium of SMG's beeing usefull, but not

Last edited:
This mutator - if it runs on servers - will completly change the way this game is played now.
On Odessa or StalingradKessel I allways hesitated to take a SMG, I took a rifle most times. Even though both are CQB maps where SMGs should have an advantage. Now they have this advantage, maybe a little bit too much but I guess testing will show it.

So a thx from me too. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well just to make everything clear: though Yoshi has put this in "final releases" it is a beta, and has yet to be tested online (works fine in botmathes on my mashine).

I am aware of no bugs, but as allways, they could exist, and obviously, i'd love to hear all about them!

Recoiler will likely conflict with other mutators that replace or alter the SMG's, as you can't have two mods trying to mess around with the same code at the same time without problems, so avoid using them with other such mutators (using it with the Grenade mutie or a gameplay mutie, or whatever, should be fine, aslong as its not altering the SMG's, thus, it might conflict with the penetration mutator by Beppo and Geogob, i would not recomend using them togeather).

Also, i've noticed that quite a few people here are new to the UT engine and this whole mutator thing, so i'll make a quick explination of what it is here:

Recoiler will not overwrite any RO files (and if it asks you to overwrite a file when you install, DONT!), and thus, installing a mutator will not make RO incompatible with servers.

Installing Recoiler will not change any weapon properties unless the server is running the mutator (or you enable it in your mutator list for botmatches), it is purely serverside! it will not give players who have it installed any unfair advantages.

Mutators like this one basically work by paperclipping themselves to the base code, so im using RO's own code, but telling it to disregard a few lines of code in the weapons and read the code from the Recoiler package instead, its a clever system thats safe and means you can change things quite alot at a very small filesize, and without screwing up the games own files, i wish more games would use this system!

That should clear up any confusion, i hope :)

Upvote 0
Its just a mutator, so any server, dedicated or listen, should have no problems running it, aslong as its declaired in the serverpackages.

Allso works for botmathes.

But no MG's, only SMG's, i might add MG's later or make a sepperate MG mutator if people want it.

plz make a MG mutator the hipping of mgs is terrible and the accuracy is waay not enough MG should be a great weapon not some weapon that just ask for people to shoot you. Sure there are great mg players in this game. But it should be better for them. (heck i'm a rifleman only person and i'd love to see accuracy in mgs and smgs )

Upvote 0
Its a good start but i have to stress get in contact with someone on this forum who has access or fires the said guns more than once, and then refine the recoil to really realistic levels. My advice is start a thread in the history section asking for advice as a number people have posted pictures on they're extensive collections these guns included there.

Upvote 0
You made it way too easy Grobut.

I just tried the mutator and with it now it's just too easy to stand and hold the SMG's on target. I think bump the recoil back up a tad and add back in the horizontal deviation, but not as strong as it is by default.

More detail please, what weapons? how much or how little? what are your gameplay experiances with the mutie?

Upvote 0
As for an LMG mutator, i could make that easilly, IF the code used in Recoiler works online that is (no reason starting a new mutator without knowing if my base code is successfull), so, i hope someone can test this soon.

But if Recoiler works online (as i suspect), i certainly dont mind playing around with LMG accuracy, i suspect i could make such a mutator in an houer or so, since i have all the base code i need for it.

But if you guys really want it, you can help me! by digging up data on recoil and accuracy on the LMG's, vid's of them shooting, stuff like that.

As for shooting them whilst hipped, well, im open for suggestions, for gameplay's sake its obvious it should not be too easy, or people will Rambo with LMG's, but then again, right now its a useless feature, so its a question of balance, and i'd like to hear your opinions before i get into this.

But lets have Recoiler tested Online, that'll make or break my base code.

Upvote 0
I tried all the allies smg's and even though less recoil feels very good, it's too much less now. Because i hardly ever play axis nor mg i can't comment on that, all i ever play is allies smg's. The recoil is too less now. Give it like 30% more for all stances, let's see how that feels. Also, there could be a bit side movement going to the right.

Upvote 0
I tried all the allies smg's and even though less recoil feels very good, it's too much less now. Because i hardly ever play axis nor mg i can't comment on that, all i ever play is allies smg's. The recoil is too less now. Give it like 30% more for all stances, let's see how that feels. Also, there could be a bit side movement going to the right.

Unfortunately it doesen't work like that, you can't assign a recoil direction (like recoiling to the right, which would be realistic), only a totally random amount within a constraint.

Hence i've opted to tone it way down, its totally random and uncontrollable, making it a roll of the die every time you press the trigger.

But i'll certainly try to play around with recoil amount a bit.

Upvote 0
Thx for your work Grobut!! I checked your mod,my first impressions:

• MP40/41 recoil is perfect.All positions! Good job !
  • PPSH41's recoil while leaning + standing too strong.
  • PPS43 leaning + standing too strong,but just a little bit.
  • PPD40 recoil while leaning + standing too strong.
Nicely done,keep going !!

Upvote 0
Thx for your work Grobut!! I checked your mod,my first impressions:
  • MP40/41 recoil is perfect.All positions! Good job !
  • PPSH41's recoil while leaning + standing too strong.
  • PPS43 leaning + standing too strong,but just a little bit.
  • PPD40 recoil while leaning + standing too strong.
Nicely done,keep going !!
PPS recoil while standing too strong? I disagree.

I think when one compares the smg's recoil to today's weapons you would get the wrong impression (not meaning to say thats what you did sight). From what i've read in these forums about the PPS's and the PPD is that the recoil is hard to control due to some mechanism used in the weapon that causes near random shakes.

As the recoil is now it's too easy to control and to aim. (apart from the conefire)

Anyway, i'm sure there are people here with more knowledge of the smg's ingame who can comment on the recoil. I do suggest you ask Yosh to move this thread to beta testing or similar untill it's finished or at least tested online.

Upvote 0
As the recoil is now it's too easy to control and to aim. (apart from the conefire)

Have you upgraded to 1.1? last link in the first post, tweaked to more RO'ish levels.

As for moving the thread, Yoshi put it here though i clearly stated it was a work in progress, so i guess he has reason for that.. well unless he didn't read the thing, but its not like him to be sloppy, ask him if you have doubts.

Sight: odd thing that, it seems that when you lean, the weapon ignores the stance modifying properties, and im not sure what to do about it, i see nothing in the code that hints at this function, so im not sure why its doing it.

Now i can fix it by recuding the base recoil (and then tweak the stance properties accordingly), but this will also mean that shooting from hip will get much easier, probably too easy, so its not a good solution.

But i'd like to see some more feedback and suggestions, aswell as some playtesting, before i go further with this, so please, keep thouse comments comming.

Upvote 0