• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SMG Recoil reducer D/L!

@Grobut IIRC the effects of the weapon on leaning are in ROFastAutoFire.uc (for MPs) and can be changed (IIRC) by the Spread-setting in the weapon' fire.uc , so you only need to look if the Spread is higher for the weapons questioned than for others. So you have to test it.

Edit:
Somthing interesting:
Code:
if( (ROMGBase(Owner) != none) && ROMGBase(Owner).bBarrelDamaged )
	{
		AppliedSpread = 4 * Spread;
	}
So don't get your MG hot. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All of thease "Spread" variables appear to be tied to the cone fire.. but oddly enough, leaning does affect this spread.. still, i dont see how that should affect recoil, the conefire and recoil are sepperate issues..

I'll dig around though, maybe one of all thease packages holds a clue..

EDIT: HAH! i found the little bugger! PctLeanPenalty = 1.5!

Die buggy die! :D

EDIT EDIT: She's dead Jim! just compiled and tested, leaning nolonger screws up recoil, expect to see this in 1.3!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
More detail please, what weapons? how much or how little? what are your gameplay experiances with the mutie?
Well all of the automatics you modified are just too easy now.

Because you eliminated the horizontal recoil movement it makes it so easy with each and every automatic to control the vertical recoil perfectly and keep a standing group incredibly tight, even at 100m.

For example in practice mode standing unsupported outside the Russian spawn on Odessa I was able to empty an entire drum from a PPSh and keep all of the bullets within and around the edge of one of the windows on the building across Gretskaya square, easily. Crouched and prone it is even easier, rested well forget about even aiming at me German sniper because I will fusillade you with 71 rounds before you can blink. If they were like this online in a server I would slaughter all and sundry in quite a ridiculous fashion :p

As a general suggestion I would say you need to reinstate some form of horizontal movement back into the recoil, realistically your muzzle does shift horizontally during automatic fire. But it shouldn't be as severe as it is by default in the game.

Now I'll make some weapon specific suggestions;

PPSh41 - I would say maybe increase the standing recoil a little bit, just a touch.

PPD40 - Recoil behaviour for this should be much the same as the PPSh except not quite as hard.

PPS43 - Definitely give it more vertical recoil, remember it is a much lighter weapon than the PPSh or PPD but still firing the same round at a high rate of fire.

MP40/41 - Feels great! Having experience with one I'd say by default Ostfront had it pretty close except for it being overdone when standing, the gun has nearly zero climb in reality. You've toned it down beautifully and it now feels more right, I'd say though like the other guns introduce just a touch of horizontal deviation and these will be perfect.

StG44 - I know you haven't touched this, but when you do I recommend just cutting down the horizontal movement a little and leaving the climb as it is. Remember this gun is firing an intermediate rifle cartridge not a pistol round like the other automatics, so it should buck and skit around quite a bit.

Upvote 0
Practicing offline is one thing. I would like to see one of the server admins volunteer to run this mutator for a night as a test, to see what people think.

IMHO, under the current rules set, it will drastically change RO's gameplay. Now, whether that is good or bad is for the community to decide...

Grobut, since this is your mutator, I don't feel it's my place to ask server admins to run this mod. But I would suggest that you go to the "Dedicated Server Support" forums (or maybe even the general forums) and ask someone to host it for testing. I would really like to see how this reduced recoil plays in the online game.

Upvote 0
Sounds great Pagan, let us know what people say!

Reddog: Are thouse observations based on the 1.0 version or 1.1 version? i did add in a bit more horizontal and vertical recoil in 1.1, sounds to me like you have overlooked the new release.

Rameusb5: Definately, i plan on releaseing 1.3 today, which will fix the leaning bug, and add STG and LMG's, then i'll politely ask servers if they want to have a go with this one.

Upvote 0
That sounds interesting Case, definately worth doing!

Allso, i've asked Beppo (the penetration mutie guy from INF) about the mutator base, and he says it should work just fine online, so thats a good sign!

Anyway, i'll get cracking on Case's suggestion.

EDIT: and it is done, bringing us to verion 1.4, it should now add itself to your serverpackages!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok I just tried 1.4, good stuff Grobut.

I think you've struck a good balance between controllabilty and accuracy in the standing position with most of the automatics, feels a lot more like the mod's recoil was actually. Also you've done exactly the right thing with the MG34 and 42 from the bipod in my opinion, which is to tone down the vertical climb but leave the horizontal movement in, this is great because there are plenty of videos which demonstrate these weapons pushing straight back into the user rather than climbing.

Only thing I would say is that the MG34 should climb like a ***** from the hip in my opinion, it's firing 7.92x57mm Mauser at 900rpm so no matter how heavy it is it is going to buck, hard. Check the videos of people assault firing the MG42, I know it's the 42, but it gives you an idea, you can see it bucking and them being shifted in stance with only the smallest of bursts. It'd good now that you have cut down the crazy horizontal recoil assault fire caused but I think it should still really try to climb hard.

Otherwise it's looking good.

Upvote 0