• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Should "relaxed realism" mode be limited to single player only?

Should "relaxed realism" mode be limited to single player only?

• Yes.

Votes: 46 41.4%
  • No.

Votes: 65 58.6%

• Total voters
Well, to be 100 % realistic, you just set your FoV to 35 - 45 degrees, depending on your monitor size. The everything looks normally sized, but it has a disadvantage: you'd see the game like you would through a window of the size of your monitor.

and thats why is not there until you are really benefiting from it that is when you are going to aim and shoot

in reality you have even more FOV than the normal 75

Upvote 0
I vote those who vote yes obviously don't want the community to grow. There is absolutely no reason to not allow them online in that mode (besides the before mentioned "they need to have it as hard as we did"). That is the whole freaking point of the mode. To introduce more people into the game we love at an easier pace. One of the major problems that has always stood out to this day about Ostfront is their first day of play. Those purchasers tended to fall into 2 categories: Those who got past the first day and learned to loved it and stuck around, and those that hit the learning curve and and quit the first day.

The two modes of play style as seen in other games such as OFP (where I first saw it) is a great way to introduce players to the game without scaring them off. That game is what got me into realism gaming!

Bud, that's what free trial weekends are for. The first day was shocking, but it was rapturous. The second day was glorious.

Ost Front was sex from day one, don't ever get the impression that it wasn't.

There is a VERY good reason not to draw the noob mode (don't argue with that label, you just showed us the reason why it's being included into the game) into the multiplayer, and that's because it will split the community right in two and segment every online group. I don't even want one quarter of the servers to be running dedicated noob-friendly game parameters unless that's a mod.

Getting pwned is a challenge, a challenge that impresses upon an individual the need to build skill. When I first played CSS (I had never played CS 1.6) back when it came with Half Life 2, I got absolutely demolished, match after match. But it was intoxicating, and I came back until I was able to get around a 1.0 KDR with these god-men who had been playing this game for years prior.

You're trying to ruin it for the people who have been playing this game for a long time for the sake of noobs.

Yes, I said it, noobs. Sweet, little friendly noobs. They're fine people, sure, but I hope you realize that our pwning them is necessary for them to become fully actualized human beings and contributing, strong members of the Red Orchestra community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like your thinking fedorov. Give us a pretty damn hardcore mode too. With no announcement scrolls, no fire indicators, no remote capping indicator, no "balance of forces" indicator while in the cap zone (possibly without the filling bar, but just the info that it's being capped), so we can't guess how many are in the zone, no radar for friendlies, the name above people only shown in very close proximity, no GPS style map, a randomized lockdown timer (to some extent, at least), with no countdown showing, no hero bonus other than weapon unlocks (if it absolutely has to be in).

Now that would be the perfect HoS for me, and I guess I'd be content if there were only a few servers in my timezone playing by those rules, as long as I got to play it that way.

You'd really think that if TWI was so willing to cater to noobs who've never even touched a Tripwire game before and don't even know this game exists, they'd be willing to cater to us hardline freaks with an uber-hardcore mode.

Upvote 0
Inconceivable! I'm sorry, is this a game, or a secret society that requires hazing to get in? Are we in Skull & Bones, or the Free Masons?

If people really don't want to play RO:HOS due to the changes from ROOST, then they can continue to play ROOST.

My guess (and the hope of TW), is by making the game more accessible, they can greatly increase the player-base. Lets say the player-base increases only 5 fold. If half the servers run Realism, then that's still 2.5x increase in player-base (at the height of ROOST, not compared to now). I say win / win.

If you just want others to suffer like you did, for the sake of fairness, or l33tness, you'll have to adjust to the real world. Life isn't fair, anybody who says otherwise is selling something.

Upvote 0
awesome

awesome

YAY my faith in the Red Orchestra community is (partially) restored when i clicked on this i thought i would be **facepalm** reading a thread filled with people going " THIS GAME IS HARD CORE REALISM, OKAY NOOB? IF YOU CANT GET THAT THROUGH YOUR SKULL THEN YOU DESERVE TO DIE. CHANGE IS BAD. PERIOD. " But instead i found reasonable people, hope to see more of this acceptance of change that will most likely expand the playerbase and be completely devoid of any sort of affect on the people who want the "hardcore" realism.

Upvote 0
Inconceivable! I'm sorry, is this a game, or a secret society that requires hazing to get in? Are we in Skull & Bones, or the Free Masons?

If people really don't want to play RO:HOS due to the changes from ROOST, then they can continue to play ROOST.

My guess (and the hope of TW), is by making the game more accessible, they can greatly increase the player-base. Lets say the player-base increases only 5 fold. If half the servers run Realism, then that's still 2.5x increase in player-base (at the height of ROOST, not compared to now). I say win / win.

If you just want others to suffer like you did, for the sake of fairness, or l33tness, you'll have to adjust to the real world. Life isn't fair, anybody who says otherwise is selling something.

What is this, a community that hazes? Listen, hazer, if you don't like it, you can get out! Go back to your HAZING community, just stay out of my community!

You'd best see things the way I do, and that's that you'd better adjust to the lack of fairness in the universe and clam it, buddeh!

That's what I read from your post.

By the way, I'm wondering where you got this idea that the player base will increase just because the game has a noob friendly mode. The figure "5x increase in player base," you obviously pulled straight out of your butt. What if Heroes of Stalingrad has a smaller player base? I'm not seeing a fantastic amount of coverage of this game, and no one is talking about it outside of the Red Orchestra fanbase, who is practically pissing their pants with excitement over it.

You'd apparently rather I suffer noobness than that any noobs suffer pwnage. I disagree with this sentiment on account of the fact that noobs can adjust to become pwnface in due time and with due diligence, whereas a noob game is just a noob game and will always be fail. I suspect these game modes won't attract anyone, they will just segment the community. Any growth of the community is up to TWI making a good product (a given), our proselytizing of it as the greatest FPS/war sim ever (which it presumably will be), and some effective advertisement on the publishing end to get the word out.

It has nothing to do with handing out training wheels. Seriously, you want to make this game noob-friendly? For one thing, what's the deal with forcing players to grind in order to get particular positions or weapons? I wonder if TWI cares that noobs won't be able to access that gear until they put a probably ridiculous amount of time into this game.

In my opinion, every server should be tossing all the PPSH's and STG44's in the hands of the noobiest failcheese players on the server, whereas the sexperts should be handling the Kar-98ks and other clunky cheap weapons.

Leveling systems are completely antithetical to balance and are just flat out cruel to the people who have dedicated hundreds of hours into Ost Front as well as the people who are new to the game who won't be able to experience the full arms and the full class experience. Does anyone care about this? Anyone at Tripwire think its cruel to give the most skilled players the FG42's while the Russians will be equipped with MN 91/30's? Anyone at all? Does anyone want to try and relieve me of all of the complaining I see in the future of noobs complaining (as I've seen countless times) about being forced to use "sucky" bolt-action rifles? Can anyone else fathom the level of noise of these complaints when you pit these players against the most skilled players who can exclusively handle superrare weapons?

I see a serious drawback to this system and I'm sticking to my guns. Whatever you do, make it universal, god's sakes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It has nothing to do with handing out training wheels. Seriously, you want to make this game noob-friendly? For one thing, what's the deal with forcing players to grind in order to get particular positions or weapons? I wonder if TWI cares that noobs won't be able to access that gear until they put a probably ridiculous amount of time into this game.

In my opinion, every server should be tossing all the PPSH's and STG44's in the hands of the noobiest failcheese players on the server, whereas the sexperts should be handling the Kar-98ks and other clunky cheap weapons.

Leveling systems are completely antithetical to balance and are just flat out cruel to the people who have dedicated hundreds of hours into Ost Front as well as the people who are new to the game who won't be able to experience the full arms and the full class experience. Does anyone care about this? Anyone at Tripwire think its cruel to give the most skilled players the FG42's while the Russians will be equipped with MN 91/30's? Anyone at all? Does anyone want to try and relieve me of all of the complaining I see in the future of noobs complaining (as I've seen countless times) about being forced to use "sucky" bolt-action rifles? Can anyone else fathom the level of noise of these complaints when you pit these players against the most skilled players who can exclusively handle superrare weapons?

I see a serious drawback to this system and I'm sticking to my guns. Whatever you do, make it universal, god's sakes.

There goes the leetness: "I can pwn you with the boltie, smg are for noobs"

I don

Last edited:
Upvote 0
By the way, I'm wondering where you got this idea that the player base will increase just because the game has a noob friendly mode. The figure "5x increase in player base," you obviously pulled straight out of your butt. What if Heroes of Stalingrad has a smaller player base? I'm not seeing a fantastic amount of coverage of this game, and no one is talking about it outside of the Red Orchestra fanbase, who is practically pissing their pants with excitement over it.

You'd apparently rather I suffer noobness than that any noobs suffer pwnage. I disagree with this sentiment on account of the fact that noobs can adjust to become pwnface in due time and with due diligence, whereas a noob game is just a noob game and will always be fail. I suspect these game modes won't attract anyone, they will just segment the community. Any growth of the community is up to TWI making a good product (a given), our proselytizing of it as the greatest FPS/war sim ever (which it presumably will be), and some effective advertisement on the publishing end to get the word out.

You are so l33t with your pwnage, I fail at your f33t.

I did pull 5 fold out of my butt, that's why I put "Lets say." It's a good assumption the player-base will increase if accessability is increased, judging that many do not stick to the game because of the steep learning curve.

We also don't know anything about the "rewards" system for heroes. It could be something as cosmetic as skins on the same weapons, or it could be access to rare uber-weapons. It'll probably be something in-between. We do have to remember that TWI actually listens to the community (so our rants do seem to have a point), and they seem to want to put out a game that both they and we would like. So far they haven't disappointed, I doubt they'll screw this up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bud, that's what free trial weekends are for. The first day was shocking, but it was rapturous. The second day was glorious.

Ost Front was sex from day one, don't ever get the impression that it wasn't.

There is a VERY good reason not to draw the noob mode (don't argue with that label, you just showed us the reason why it's being included into the game) into the multiplayer, and that's because it will split the community right in two and segment every online group. I don't even want one quarter of the servers to be running dedicated noob-friendly game parameters unless that's a mod.

Getting pwned is a challenge, a challenge that impresses upon an individual the need to build skill. When I first played CSS (I had never played CS 1.6) back when it came with Half Life 2, I got absolutely demolished, match after match. But it was intoxicating, and I came back until I was able to get around a 1.0 KDR with these god-men who had been playing this game for years prior.

You're trying to ruin it for the people who have been playing this game for a long time for the sake of noobs.

Yes, I said it, noobs. Sweet, little friendly noobs. They're fine people, sure, but I hope you realize that our pwning them is necessary for them to become fully actualized human beings and contributing, strong members of the Red Orchestra community.
Um, WHAT?

Are you trying to say that relaxed realism HUD indicators will make new players somehow less prone to be absolutely blasted away and outplayed by us old players who know the Red Orchestra game and weapon mechanics by heart?

As far as I can tell, the only real change in gameplay is the FOV zoom, and that only gives you an advantage at pixelhunt ranges...provided you know how to use normal IS and zoomed IS effectively.

You and some other people are under the impression that "relaxed realism" will somehow totally level the playfield, making distinguishing between green and experienced players difficult. Based on what we know about its features, I find that hard to believe.

It will merely reduce the confusion new players suffer when they play RO for the first time. Instead of thinking "what the hell just happened" when they suddenly die, they will think "damn I got shot from that direction again, better watch out in the future" when they suddenly die.

This benefits us oldtimers in the long run; more players running around who know what they're doing, who realize they'll survive better when they teamplay, who pose an actual challenge for experienced players. Or you actually enjoy PWNING NOOBZ so much that you would rather see new players waddle around a bit, get killed and throw their ROHOS in a dustbin?

The way I see it, the only reason newbies will be having an easier time in combat is because, based on some people's comments here, a big part of the oldschoolers will be avoiding those relaxed realism servers like a plague. Personally, I intend to play on both kinds of servers, as long as I can turn the new HUD indicators off clientside for when I play relaxed realism.

Upvote 0
i dont think that a newbie will be better at beginning with a radar.

the things that make ro so "difficult" is no crosshair and no health

Hardly... there are plenty of unrealistic games with no crosshair.

What makes RO Ost hard is that you have to think/be aware of your surroundings and the battlefield around you on demand, with no pop-ups or indicators telling you everything.

Upvote 0
Hardly... there are plenty of unrealistic games with no crosshair.

What makes RO Ost hard is that you have to think/be aware of your surroundings and the battlefield around you on demand, with no pop-ups or indicators telling you everything.

I wish we could start a pole on everything, so the community could tell you how very wrong you are...

Upvote 0
I wish we could start a pole on everything, so the community could tell you how very wrong you are...

I am not wrong. Removing crosshairs doesn't automatically make a game realistic. :rolleyes: If that is your idea of realistic, stick to CoD 4 please.

I will assume that you think things such as grenade indicators don't hamper realism or immersion?

If you really can't afford $10 speakers to hear where a gun shot came from, why do you even play PC games? Take your cluttered HUDs and immersion breaking on screen indicators elsewhere.

Upvote 0