• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Should only the player with the fastest PC get SL, Mg, Sniper? NO - A Solution!

Capt.Cool

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
Sky high
This topic was mentioned by Zetsumi once, and I try to come up with a solution. Proberly most of us know the problem:
We enter a map, but the most desired classes like Sniper or Squadleader are already taken.

If you dont have a high end PC (at least the fastest of your team) you are always screwed with the leftover.
Here is a summary of suggetions from Apos, Zet, Reise, Smokey and D

Last edited:
I think those suggestions are still prone to giving others an unfair advantage. Put timers on the classes and people will just wait. Reset them after a round ends and people will just scramble to click "ready" first.

TBH I've been thinking about a pooling system. If a class is limited, have a button that lets you enter a pool of others who want to play it. When it reaches a certain threshold, say 5-10 players, the class will be given to a random player in the pool when the current holder of the class dies.

Upvote 0
A small delay at the beginning of a map isn't a problem with me, too long and then its just as bad as a map taking forever to load.

~edit~ However, I have known people who say they have no money for RAM, etc yet can easily go out to a bar and drop $20 or more several nights a week, or spend the money on other luxuries. Sooo, I only really have sympathy for those who truly can't spend the money on RAM etc as oppossed to those who just say that :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your idea is good too, Reise!
But I dont understand what should be unfair in my suggestion?

Put timers on the classes and people will just wait.
OF COURSE they can wait! (IF THEY WANT) Thats the whole idea! They should wait 15 sec till more players are on the server,
and then select the class at the same time - without any unfair advantage from a superfast PC.

Reset them after a round ends and people will just scramble to click "ready" first.

And OF COURSE people will scramble to click on their favorite class! :D
But its more fair if everyone could click at the same time, and maybe the fastest clicker wins, instead of the fastest PC only.

Last edited:
Reactions: COOL SHADOW
Upvote 0
My suggestion might be even more unfair, but how about you can't play the same limited role twice in a row? Meaning that players who finished the map playing one of the limited roles couldn't start the next match until they had spawned as a different class.

It's not really the solution you're looking for, Capt. Cool, but at least it's a compromise.

I never really thought that the players with the fastest computers were being unfair by taking all the "good" classes ahead of everyone else. Who knows, maybe the faster computer gives them an edge over enemies?

What I think is really needed are players (mostly true for Gr

Upvote 0
Mine is a mid end one, I think it could be considered a low end now.

(WinXP, Core 2 Duo 1,8Ghz, 9800GTX+, 3GB RAM)

Even then, I'm still one of the firsts (when not the first) to get in the game and pick a class... I don't know what people do with their monster high end PCs to load that slow, but whatever it is... I hope they keep doing it =)

Upvote 0
Already has been discussed to death:

Sorry LionbI4, but thats a different idea. Its about being forced to give up class if you suck. :rolleyes:
My suggestion is new - its about a fair system to select roles from the start!

That's ok, waiting for some clown with a ****ty PC for 5 minutes is not, simple as that.

I agree with you schneidzekk, but WHO wrote about 5 minutes? :confused:
I

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont like yours ideas Capt. Cool. It will be look like clickspam festival and usually little kiddos who can do 100 clicks per second get sniper rifle or commander role. I can imagine now click-scrits and other glitches.

My idea is more fair for experienced players. Lets say players are joining new map. sniper, commander and MG role are blocked for everyone except 3 or 5 highest ranked/skilled players. They can pick those roles or others. If they don't do it in first 15 second, roles unlocks for other mid level/skill players. + only players who passed sniper/commander/MG training can attempt to pick those roles. Its sounds like AAs but it worked there. No commander noobs who take SL role only to get PPsH.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A time before classes can be selected should work fine for the most part. Logically nobody would put this time to 5 minutes, so some people that are super slow still wont have their favourite weapon. But in ROOST over 90% of the people can join in under a minute for instance. While only 1 person, the one with the fastest computer can pick every weapon he'd like. And giving 90% of the people an equal chance of selecting a weapon is still more fair then only the 10% fastest people.

However who is able to click the fastest depends heavily on a players ping. And I don't know if I want the youngest and fastest players always to take up all the classes :p
---------------------------------

Personally what I think would be the best, would be if people could simply sign up for some weapons upon joining a server. And 10 seconds before everybody spawns, out of those lists random winner(s) are selected.

Just like in ROOST, a server would be able to select at what time the rattle is for the weaponry, so this could be set to say that the weapons will be divided among players after 1 minute. So nobody would have to wait for 5 minutes before starting unless the server Admin prefers it like that. But at preference of an Admin the rattle time could be set to 0 seconds leaving it exactly the same as it is now.

For example 5 people want to be sniper, randomly out of those 5 people one person is selected to be the sniper, then the 4 other persons can select what ever weapons are not taken up by then.

This procedure could be repeated after every round. Like after the first round is over everybody could have 10 seconds to select a class for the rattle, and then 10 seconds to select your class if you didn't obtain your preferred class. The second voting system could be made similar to accumulated map voting, so players that didn't get their preferred class last time could get a bigger chance in the second round, than players who were able to get their first choice.

The main thing for me is to take away the dependency on a players money (super computer/super broadband), or the location to the server. And give everybody the same chance at obtaining their favourite weapon.

Resetting all the classes at the end of a round, allows for possible game types similar to the RTCW stopwatch mode as well, which can make public play a bit more competitive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like your idea Zets, but instead of having several rounds for choosing your weapons... what about selecting your priorities from the beginning...

For example:

The game gives you 15 seconds to submit your preferences, and you select:

1 Sniper
2 MG
3 SMG
4 Semi Auto

So, if you didn't get the sniper, the game would roll for the MG, unless there is already people who chose MG as a first option, those with higher priorities have preference for that weapon and the game randomly gives it to those with higher priorities.

Those who don't pick other than one priority because they simply doesn't care and they fail at that one, the game would assign them a random class once everybody else's priorities had been solved.

You can resolve many issues like this one:

there are three people:
"1" has a slow computer and likes the semi-auto
"2" has a medium computer and likes the sniper
"3" has a fast computer and likes the sniper too

- "3" gets the sniper

- "2" tries to get the sniper and fails, so he takes the semi-auto instead

- "1" can't have the semi auto because "2" got it first, even though he wanted it more than "2"

With a priority system "3" and "2" can fight for the Sniper in equal conditions, without prejudicing "1"

So in the end, even if not all gets what they want, more people will end up with their preferred weapons.

Upvote 0
basing everything on points is just wrong, it doesn't really say anything about the player. Someone who has played for 4 years can be first scorer in one round and being a whole round without killing anyone the next, also, having a super score doesn't make you an experienced RO player, only an experienced FPS player.

I think everyone should have the same chance to use any weapons, or it will turn the game into a CSS frag fest competition.

Upvote 0