• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Search and Destroy Mod.

I hate to break it to you guys but S&D game type is all about and only about:

-Tactical team play(constant comunication with team mates and knowing the field)
-Good shooting skills and weapon handling(after all its an FPS game...)

and its sort of similar to type of gameplay as Countdown in RO2 becuase you dont respawn after you die.

Countdown:
-trying to clean up enemies going from section to section if as attacker or if as a defender trying to defend the section.

S&D
-trying to plant the Bomb or clean out enemies(whichever comes firt) when as an attacker,as a defender your trying to kill the enemy and or defuse the bomb if its already been planted,there is no 2nd try for planting,once bomb has been defused by the Defenders the attackers lose the round.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I preferred the S&D maps that were introduced into RO a few years ago. They were absolutely nothing like the S&D of COD (thankfully). Unfortunately they never took off because they came at a time where custom servers were in decline.

Not that I wouldn't support someone making a mod as described by Psycho-Chicken for those players that feel they must play something like that. Personally I can't stand that (COD) S&D game type myself and will avoid it like the plague and liked how it was done with the S&D maps made for ROOST above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Guess the point was that s&d is a very popular game play in most fps online games, I dont think it should harm the game to add another game mode?
i think s&d could easily attract more players/clans to HOS :) should be sad to see HOS community as dead likes roost after a couple of years, so my though was that if the game has more options for everybody the community would grow stornger. :)

Upvote 0
The countdown game mode is only defined by being one life. Objectives could either be things to capture or blow up. Its not specifically capturing only. I don't really see the advantage of planting a bomb over capturing a zone. As effectively the same game play as planting a bomb could be created with cap zones. With as only basic difference that you do not have to carry a bomb over to the location.

RO for me has always been about offering many sorts of different game play scenarios within its maps. And personally would hate it if all different sorts of maps were to be divided into separate game types.

Every new map can feel like a completely new game and that is one of the things I like about RO. In battlefield or the left 4 dead series, even if you play on a different map everything plays the same every time for me, even if you play on a different map it primarily looks different rather than feel and play different, and I wouldn't want the diversity of mappers taken away.

Countdown essentially is S&D but then done in Red Orchestra's own style. Capturing works fine with lower player amounts, and isn't less tactical in any way. I think people should try playing RO competitive, and see how things work for themselves a bit. Competitive play in RO1 is nothing like public play, I got bored of RO1 public play in 2005.

I think that after the game has been released that most people won't really care for having game modes exactly the same as other games. And will learn to appreciate TWI's take on them.

Upvote 0
It would probably be fun to mix it up with some "destroy" countdown rounds where instead of capturing an area you blow up a door or wall or something, just like on StalingradKessel (to reach north rail yard or assembly hall) for instance.

Yeah but that is fully possible for mappers now already. Different maps have as objective that you need to blow something up. I think it should generally be for the mapper.

If anything perhaps for S&D to be closer people should ask the ability to play countdown for a single objective with perhaps longer time limits. That allows people to only fight for the objectives where you need to blow something up.

But in general countdown and territory, are a grouping of different maps that basically could all feature slightly different game styles. And its that variation that makes them so much fun.

Upvote 0
I actually enjoyed playing S&D in COD due to it being more about team communication rather than shooting anything that moves. Even better with friendly fire on. While others here may not like it, a little extra variety to cater to more people is always nice. It would make a good mutator/gametype.

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
I never said it is something that 'has to be added' or the game will not have a big community. . . Thats gona happen in anycase :)

Im looking forward to playing all game types that will be available. (playing to death ;) )

The mod we run on COD WaW is ultra realistic, no huds, no score board till end of round (kills must be accumulated vocaly, and uniform identifiation is essential), no perks and country specific weapons. Basicaly as REAL as we could get the game. www.openwarfaremod.com

BUT I would also like to play some scrims, taking advantage of this games superior mechanics, with smaller teams that attack 2 Objectives, weather it be AA guns, Tanks, Ammo dump or anything.

As this game will be better in every sense (Realistic bullet balistics :D:D:D ),
I think it would lend itself extremely well to an SnD gametype.

We will be looking into creating this after release and if any one would like to help out, drop us a line at www.ThePARA.co.uk

Upvote 0
Also been living in the CoD world for some time alongside the Para chaps, however after about 5 years I'm getting a little bored of S&D game after game. Sure it makes for quick competition, but I don't see what is any less competitive about have a longer gamemode. Just because we (as in CoD match players) have always played S&D doesn't mean that it has to stay that way.

Personally I see countdown as a sort of linear S&D, giving a losing team chance to recover and regroup instead of restarting and trying from scratch on the same map with the same objective location every single time. S&D is ideal for smaller teams (say 4v4) but for HoS I think we should be embracing how the game is ideally suited to larger teams 10/12+ and play out a longer match. The most fun I ever had in competition was playing a 30 minute Domination match (CoD:WaW) - the longer time and multiple objectives allowed fresh gameplay and tactics that just isn't possible in S&D.

In my opinion I would prefer to push Countdown as an ideal competitive mode and go back to S&D when I fancy some good old fashioned CoD TR :)

Just my thoughts.

(although having said that of course I won't object if/when a S&D mod is created and will almost certainly give it a bash - I just think that HoS can do better than S&D!)

Upvote 0
But the general belief is that RO2 (with 0-16 player max sizes) will be more suited for e.g. 5on5 than RO1 was if I'm right.

Would that be fun I don't know, but I would guess it would be for enough people. I would imagine though that 8on8 is generally the max size for a game to get some "real competition" going. I don't really have any first hand experience though from other games, it is just me guessing.

Never the less, it will be really interesting to see how it all turns out in the end. Which different sizes, modes and places RO2 will be played competitively :p.

For bigger size matches it feels like competition within or between communites would fit better. Like a 16on16 Finnish community vs Swedish community for instance. Or simply a 16on16 internal RO2 gaming community, and it could be serious with individual rating based on team score if desired. It's gonna be tough to get competitive big size matches in high frequency enough with clan vs clan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In general competitively with RO1 maps seemed to play the best way with half the players you would encounter in public games.

So I guess on the 16 player versions 5v5 would do well, and on the 32 player versions 8v8 would do well.

The issue with higher player amounts is that you really start needing to do management and separate people over multiple voip channels if people want to continue communicating well. Even 8v8 can easily become chaos voice comm wise.

Upvote 0
I see what you mean with the player numbers - and my experience with stock CoD maps aligns with that. I wonder if its possible to unlock the extra play area by choice even if there are fewer players?

Just about every friendly or league CoD TR match I have played had between 8 and 10 players - I would just like to see larger 'friendly matches', maybe with several units forming a team. Sure it takes more organisation, but I think it would be worth it.

However, a true S&D mode would appeal to the big esports groups, which would be no bad thing in my opinion.

Like FFA I would expect this to be modded in rather than shipped with the game.

Upvote 0
Nice post Robbo,

I undertand what your saying about the gametypes, i guess it comes down to waiting and seeing how the shipped game modes play competitively.
I like your Idea about how a team has a chance to regroup and make a counter offensive. This seems more realistic than the whittling down of enemy on SnD.

Basicaly please just realease the Beta so we can have a better idea of what is possible. ;)

Zetsumei- We play matches of 10 V 10 same Ts channel Number 1 rule is keep voice chat to minimum. Call kill counts, enemy locations (based on over head map) and ur own death. Thats it. You would be suprised at how precise in game chat is.

P.S We will easily be able to field a Selected Tactical team of 20 men (and women).

Upvote 0