• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 vs Rising Storm what happened?

Hello, so I've asked this question on one of the servers I play ( 40-1 ). Why does RS have so few servers compared to RO2 ?

I'm not complaining or anything I'm just asking a legit question. I played a lot during the first month and a half of RS then made a break. And now I come back and see that RS barely has a few servers up ( which are mostly full so that's good ) and RO2 has 2-3x times the servers.

People told me "It sucks, that's why" and stuff like that. Is that the answer? I'm just really curious cause I guess RS has a bit more "bullshi*t weapons" than RO2 but is that the whole reason why it died down?

Can someone tell me why exactly it died down so much, I mean even 40-1 don't run their RS server anymore and I was looking forward to playing on it again as I have really good ping there. It's not a big deal tho as playing some RO2 again feel fresh as hell, especially with how many maps there are.

Sorry, I didn't read the rest of the thread yet, but you answered your own question with that last line.

RO2 has more maps, and also has the vehicles for combined arms tactics... therefore it has more replayability compared to RS which has fewer maps, no vehicles and can get repetitious.

Personally speaking, I never had an interest in RS to begin with, so out of the total hours I spent playing RO2/RS, RS makes up probably about 2% of that time.

I'd also like to point out that from my own experience in playing both RS and RO2, new players to the games think it's all a meat grinder..... but for me, although you die a lot in both games, RS seems to be a real meat grinder. The type of tactics used in RO2 are varied and wide in scope, while in RS, it's just basically head on "Who can shot or slash the other guy faster and the most" and attempt to roll over the other team as much as possible. Your ability to flank and approach from different angles in RS is greatly limited compared to RO2's maps.

Many of RS's maps have a defending location that is almost perfectly setup to mow down waves of attackers whom almost always have to cross over wide open areas and hope to hell they don't get killed in the process. If there's plenty of cover for the attackers to use, then that usually means the cap zone is also small in size as some sort of "balance" which then leads to more meat grinding in close quarters and almost nill ability to have time to formulate any sort of tactic with your team.

RO2 simply has more variety in what you have to use, as well as what you can do overall.

It also doesn't help RS that there's no English translation for the Japanese like there is for the Germans and Russians. The issue I have always had is that if there is no English translation for my team so I can just use my ears (or at the very least, pop up text telling me on screen what they're saying) then I not only have an immersion breaking experience where I feel like a foreigner fighting for a foreign military where I have no idea what my fellow soldiers are saying..... but I also have a huge disadvantage in not knowing right then and there what my team mate is telling me on the fly.

Some people say you can just grow accustomed to the other language and know certain phrases to know what they mean, and with German or Russian, it's easy to figure out when they're saying Sniper or Grenade..... but every other phrase I don't have time to figure out what they're saying and by the time I do, it's usually too late.

With Japanese, I haven't the first damn clue what any of them are saying, there's no text to tell me, and I have no idea that guy in the distance I'm mowing down with an MG is a team mate, or that a guy is yelling that a grenade is by my feet.

In RO2, I can have it all in English and feel like I am part of the force I'm fighting with and know exactly what they're all saying without having to think. I can react instantly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have to agree with that. I would really like non-native voice option in Rising Storm. I've been playing RS a lot - reached honor level 90 - and I still have no clue whatsoever about any of the Japanese voice cues.

Yeah the English Japanese at the end of each round doesn't help much... cuz you know, you already know if you lost or won.

Upvote 0
Can you tell me how to access the steam server browser?

On your task bar on the lower right side, click on it... You will see a small steam icon...right click and you will a listing of steam and one of these says servers. left click and there ya go...... you can also put filters in for RO2 and also save those servers to your favorites....

Upvote 0
I think the server amount is more or less even. For me as european player in my time, I find always server in Pacific or at the Ostfront.

Off course, to play in the Pacific feels different as it is a complete other way to fight.
In the Pacific I play mostly the japanese side, and yes, it feels by the weapons and the maps (defending islands) as a desperate battle.

If the japanese guys dont work together, spotting, arty coordination, reports and overall teamplay, than the average skill US team can beat also an experienced japanese team (by players with higher skills).

As somebody told before, I also feel that the spawn points and cap points in relation is very short.
If the japanese dont nail the US at the beginning down for minimum 8-10 minutes, than the americans will overrun you.

Its in the nature of the maps, which show the Pacific island hopping campaign. Iwo Jima, Kwajalein, Saipan, Peleliu....

Personaly I prefer Ostfront to Pacific in 75% to 25% about.

EDIT:
Maybe the shift to the japanese attack time era 1941/42 would help.
I mean new maps like
"Japanese attack of Guam"
"Japanese attack of Phillipines"
which would show more US forces with normal rifles like the japanese

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are mixed servers out there.

Give the Steam Browser a shot because it will show more servers than the in-game browser does. It is a fact that the in-game browser does not show all the servers, including my favorite one which is mixed and plays custom maps.

Could it be that the steam server browser doesn't differentiate between ranked and unranked? I mean I have no idea, just a thought.

Upvote 0
I also believe it's the difference in gameplay, Japanese are excelling in defense as their booby traps often take a high toll on the enemy team.

Assaulting a position as Japanese mostly is failure, just saying GuadalCanal ... :rolleyes:

When playing as the IJA you mostly sit or lie there with your bolt-action at the ready waiting for green uniforms to appear and pull the trigger.

Americans however are more the knock-out punch faction as they have semi autos and a good quantity of automatic weapons.

Secondly Rising Storm is a DLC and costs money. Some people are simply not willing to invest that money.
And not to forget: The Leveling Nerds! RS puts you back to level 1, no upgraded weapons and you have to climb the long ladder up to 99 once more. Some people just can't deal with leaving their lvl 50 Mkb42 and Apartments 24/7 behind ... :rolleyes::D

40-1 put their server back up as they switched from IOM RO2 back to RS.

Yes, a lot of RO2 players are from Russia, but quite a lot are playing as Germans, so I am not too sure if it's really the Red Army attracting them.

For me, I enjoy RO2 just as much as RS. Yes, the variety of custom maps for RS is smaller but when looking in the mapping section of the forums there is a nice amount of maps coming up. It just takes time. Of course there is always the impatient who can't wait, but hey "fk them!" :D

Upvote 0
People told me "It sucks, that's why" and stuff like that. Is that the answer? I'm just really curious cause I guess RS has a bit more "bullshi*t weapons" than RO2 but is that the whole reason why it died down?

Damn right it is. RS is unbalanced as ****. The jap team is so overpowered that its ridiculous. On some maps you can't move away from the spawn because of the mortar spam. Its like CoD 4 again. The perk that gives you 3 grenades. Baaam boom baam all the time, you respawn, 5 sec later something blows up and you are dead, you have to wait 20 sec, "play" for 5 then wait 20 sec again. Sorry, no.

Then the smgs are coming. I think the jap team have 8 or 10 smgs depending on the map. Holy ****, why we don't have 10 thompsons?

On top of that they have booby traps and god mode banzai charge. Yes, I accept these "perks" because they add to the realism for this faction but the weapons are too op because their amount is way too high.

The flamer is nowhere near dangerous or op as you are describing it. You just shoot the guy know. You have e gun, probably its a SMG, just point and shoot at the flamer guy, don't bump into him. With the mortars you don't even see where the projectile is coming from... In its current state the game should be called Mortar Mortar 2: SMG SMG

Upvote 0
I also believe it's the difference in gameplay, Japanese are excelling in defense as their booby traps often take a high toll on the enemy team.

Assaulting a position as Japanese mostly is failure, just saying GuadalCanal ...

What?! The Japanese rule on attack! The full-team banzai charge is unstoppable. All you need is a charismatic TL with a good behind-the-zone arty mark. He calls it, the SLs dump smoke and knee mortars dump their rounds, then when the first salvo lands and the enemy is looking around, you jump em! ...Granted, if you can't get it together to banzai, then it's a hard row to hoe. But I've noticed that when I'm TL on Japanese attack, people actually do work together for the banzai.

Upvote 0
What?! The Japanese rule on attack! The full-team banzai charge is unstoppable. All you need is a charismatic TL with a good behind-the-zone arty mark. He calls it, the SLs dump smoke and knee mortars dump their rounds, then when the first salvo lands and the enemy is looking around, you jump em! ...Granted, if you can't get it together to banzai, then it's a hard row to hoe. But I've noticed that when I'm TL on Japanese attack, people actually do work together for the banzai.

That's not fair though. You're just too awesome of a TL jank.

Upvote 0
joseph-ducreux-meme-generator-i-love-it-when-a-plan-comes-together-4c27e5.jpg

Upvote 0

My 98 kill round as flamer in guadalcanal begs to differ!
Jap banzai is very well stoppable.
Even worse was a Game on Maggothill where japanese only ever banzaied in. Never before have i Seen such a stupid slaughter. Dude you cant beat a very well dig in Team in an artillery Proof position with a banzai. Why did no one Tell them?? They were mostly middle level Players influenced by guys saying banzai is always right but it isnt.
As ally TL i also rarely Loose on guadal.
On hanto i have to admit Things look bad for the allies but mostly because Players dont know the strategy to win.

In campaign Axis also do very bad on kwajalein and betio.
Smart Axis Teams in campaign atack Iwojima, hanto and guadalcanal over and over again. Peleliu is a Mixed bag. Mortars
Are great here and flamers not really useful beside c an d but many Teams just fail on this map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With regards to the flamethrower and banzai charge (my opinions)

I only object to the speed the man with the flamethrower runs. I still remember myself as a Japanese squad leader (with standard load-out no extra weapons) on Iwo chasing the American with the flamethrower. He got behind us and was running up the hill and I still could not catch him, nor gain ground with him on foot. It was only when he stopped and was looking around for maybe five seconds that I caught him. I don't think there is enough encumbrance for this weapon.

For the banzai charge, I mostly think those playing American overrate its effectiveness. Still on the fence about how certain wounds seem to have little/no effect during the charge, but that can also be attributed to the Japanese player zig-zagging during the charge to avoid being shot; a problem I have with Realism's movement speed.

Upvote 0
With regards to the flamethrower and banzai charge (my opinions)

I only object to the speed the man with the flamethrower runs. I still remember myself as a Japanese squad leader (with standard load-out no extra weapons) on Iwo chasing the American with the flamethrower. He got behind us and was running up the hill and I still could not catch him, nor gain ground with him on foot. It was only when he stopped and was looking around for maybe five seconds that I caught him. I don't think there is enough encumbrance for this weapon.

For the banzai charge, I mostly think those playing American overrate its effectiveness. Still on the fence about how certain wounds seem to have little/no effect during the charge, but that can also be attributed to the Japanese player zig-zagging during the charge to avoid being shot; a problem I have with Realism's movement speed.
You are right. Banzaiing lives from zigzagging too but the supression effect is also very important.
Any american with an smg will at least stop one japanese banzaiing and with a Garand your chances are good too.
What is most effective though is that while americans shoot the banzaiing guys clever japs with nambus stop and shoot you. Thats why as a flamer i often wait 2nd line Till the First line of banzaiing dudes are down and then spray the japs who got in capzone and shoot Regularly.
Often sls banzai 2nd Wave so i get them too with the flames.
Only difference is when i am alone in a Spot where 10japs try to er in then i Flame to scare them and buy time :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0