• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 vs Rising Storm what happened?

Diavolo222

Aug 18, 2013
Hello, so I've asked this question on one of the servers I play ( 40-1 ). Why does RS have so few servers compared to RO2 ?

I'm not complaining or anything I'm just asking a legit question. I played a lot during the first month and a half of RS then made a break. And now I come back and see that RS barely has a few servers up ( which are mostly full so that's good ) and RO2 has 2-3x times the servers.

People told me "It sucks, that's why" and stuff like that. Is that the answer? I'm just really curious cause I guess RS has a bit more "bullshi*t weapons" than RO2 but is that the whole reason why it died down?

Can someone tell me why exactly it died down so much, I mean even 40-1 don't run their RS server anymore and I was looking forward to playing on it again as I have really good ping there. It's not a big deal tho as playing some RO2 again feel fresh as hell, especially with how many maps there are.

It's really quite hard to say, and I'm sure someone might disagree with me but I feel that people can find the differences in weapons and tactics used by the RS factions to be an eh... angry topic to discuss. Play for any length of time on an RS server and you get "Bloody Flamers!!!!1!" and "Omg noob tube, no sk1ll", not to mention "Amg, that banzai'ing Imperial Japanese Army soldier took two shots the the FACEEE".

That and there are just generally less stock maps for it.

Upvote 0
1. RUSSIANS!
Russian players make up a good population of the RoH2 community. Almost always at least two full servers on. Many more on other servers.
They NEVER play RS. Look at russian clan players. They are never on RS servers.
I dont know about all the other europeans but germans also tend to rather play RoH2 it seems.

2. Pacing
I played RS more than RoH2 but recently I rather play RoH2 because the pacing is so much more un. Fighting 5 minutes for an objective is rather the norm then anything special. In RS atacker gets in time trouble when taking that long on one objective. Its a matter of taste but since most players playing this game seem to like a more realistic approach I guess it could explain RoH2 beeing more popular. Not to mention that the slower approach in RoH2 means you have more time each of your lifes. In RS beeing killed like 10-20 times is just normal. When I try to defend a cap I rather go to a risky strategy to kill as many enemies as possible even suiciding often just to stop dozens of guys running at me beeing instantly respawned 30 meters away and having artillery behind my ***. That is RS best strategy in a nut shell. Artillery, Sl camping and rushing in. In RoH2 teams that narrow minded just get shot from every flank with mgs with good angles.

3. Weapon balance
As a new player beeing MG, riflemen or sniper is much more rewarding than in RS. Mgs are just hard to position in the jungle maps and there are a lot of bugs. You need to play several times until you get good positions. In RoH Mgs are really potent weapons even when a newbie uses them. Riflemen is the same. Especialy japanese one. With the fast pacing you are even less powerful than in RoH2. Of course rifles arent bad but harder for Newbies and in 99% of the time a BAR is just way better.

4. Flamers and mortars
As much as I enjoy mortars people seem to hate it when they get hit to often by them. As much fun it is to flame people, people beeing flamed hate it. Flamers can completly take any fun away from a desperate banzaiing japanese team. On most maps 3 skilled flamers can counter any enemy atack.
I dont want to critize it but I am pretty sure according to the amount of swearing in RS games people dont like it that much.

5. No Vehicles
Obviously for people who like combined arms a no go.

6. Maps
RoH2 has a great variety of maps.
Bridges, Winterwald and myshkova river beeing completly unique.
RS has only guadalcanal as a night map beeing really different from the other maps. The maps are of course not the same and the fighting varies but the RS maps resemble each other more and are fewer.

7. Guadalcanal
Last but not least.
Honestly? A map where you can easily beat other players by turning up the brightness of the game? Are you serious? What an easy exploit. New players hate that map cause they cant see anything and veterans exploit the hell out of them by turning up brightness and peripheral view.
The thought of a nightbattle with japanese banzaiing is so great but I can understand so many people complaining.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:cool:

I've never really seen any difference in the numbers as anything I felt the need to explore. Our clan hosts several of seven servers for RS alone. I've never found myself in a position where I felt deprived of the opportunity to jump into an RS map. Never occurred to me that some sort of demographic "balance" was required. As was pointed out earlier, the sheer weight of historical importance to the EU and Russia almost dictates HOS domination. The pacific theatre was almost certain to be exclusively a US and UK thing. I'm looking at whole blocks of servers in GameTracker daily, and I can assure one and all that no one need be concerned about the availability of RS vs HOS for a well populated map at any given moment. :)

Upvote 0
I play both regularly, but it does seem like most of my RO steam friends prefer HoS for some reason. Usually when I press for reasons they can't give good ones.

I find there is actually more teamwork in Rising Storm for the most part. Possibly because it is required more to win.

It's true that Russians and Germans prefer HoS in my experience. But then again, I often play with Japanese dudes on RS...

Upvote 0
I like both RS/RO2 each with a equeal amount. I see them as one single game and not two seperate games. Kinda like in CoD1,2 where different fractions and szenarios where normal in multiplayer.

I don't understand people just sticking around with one of each. They are both really really great. Although the Rising Storm maps are quite similar to each other but they look all very good and RO2 does have some really ugly maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I play both regularly, but it does seem like most of my RO steam friends prefer HoS for some reason. Usually when I press for reasons they can't give good ones.

I find there is actually more teamwork in Rising Storm for the most part. Possibly because it is required more to win.

It's true that Russians and Germans prefer HoS in my experience. But then again, I often play with Japanese dudes on RS...
I always thought japanese had only one Server?
At least when its 20-24 o clock in japan (13-17 in Europe) only one Server is in japan and almost all of the guys speaking with japanese accent on other Servers are not japanese! (I lived over there years in japan, i hate that Fake japanese accent...) i envy you of you really See that much japanese. The only one i ever Spoke japanese with me turned out to be a french guy Married to a japanese :D

As a guy playing 70% RS I see what you mean. Teamplay for example banzaiing or good artillery and banzai coordination is really important but the squad level tactics are way more important in HoS.
Things like a single squad in Kessel flanking A from B or bridges fire support guys behind G in the building are almost nonexistent in RS.
90% of the time almost all guys atack the same Spot. That is teamplay on your teamlevel but its far more simple then HoS teamplay on squadlevel.

Main difference might be the importance of squadleader 1 in RS. He just is the main strategist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe part of the reason is leveling up the weapons. It can be a grind for those that don't have as much playing time as they used to. I normally only play Japanese/RS, but am very interested in the RO2 campaign servers. I don't because I don't have enough free time to learn new maps and weapons. (Yes..I'm one of those that started on RS, but to be fair, I did play the original HoS)

Jank is right - there is a solid regular group on the 2.FJg late night PST. I usually log on around 11PM-12AM and while the server isn't initially full at the start of the match, it fills up.

Upvote 0
Maybe part of the reason is leveling up the weapons. It can be a grind for those that don't have as much playing time as they used to. I normally only play Japanese/RS, but am very interested in the RO2 campaign servers. I don't because I don't have enough free time to learn new maps and weapons. (Yes..I'm one of those that started on RS, but to be fair, I did play the original HoS)

Jank is right - there is a solid regular group on the 2.FJg late night PST. I usually log on around 11PM-12AM and while the server isn't initially full at the start of the match, it fills up.

Nice! Unfortunatly i am European so i cant play US night time :D
Learning time is a good Argument.
Beeing good at HoS doesnt mean you are Instantly good at RS.
When i Moved back to HoS i grenade suicided like in RS (you know when all japanese in front of c in hanto wait to banzai beneath the rock... I always mosh pit them with a grenade in my Hand XD) and Allthough that sometimes is a good tactic on most maps it aint working.

Upvote 0
I don't play Rising Storm as much. Something about it isn't as fun as Heroes of Stalingrad. With HoS, I can jump right in and even as a Rifleman I feel at home at all times. With RS, even though I've played all the maps, I always feel uncomfortable and naked, as in I never feel safe in cover. I also don't like the weapons as much as HoS, especially for the Japanese. Though that could be because they are not leveled up as much, they don't feel as accurate when shooting at all. I also cannot stand the mortars and flamethrowers though they add a fun strategy in trying to kill them. RS's gameplay feel more like a shoot-out than trying to capture territory like in HoS. HoS has better, more memorable maps and the gameplay feels more cohesive as a whole IMO. I'm not sure why I feel this way but I do. They aren't that different games but...

Upvote 0
Prefer HOS

Not as many custom maps in RS for one thing and I'm bored with many of the stock maps.

On many jungle maps, the MG and Marksman roles on both sides are less than fun since its difficult to find spots with a decent line of sight or get your weapon mounted. Iwo is so frustrating as Axis since the bunkers are death traps forcing those two significant roles to try to hide out in the open. On the Allied side on that map, it's way easier. In HOS, I'm happy with any role as they all are fun with their own challenges, not so much in RS, some just feel broken.

Axis is better suited to attack than defend, no one uses banzai while defending and booby traps and mortars are fun but aren't enough in the face of overwhelming bullets plus the freakin flamers. I see Axis get swept many times when defending.

Gameplay seems more rushed and fenzied in RS, its better on custom maps and it could use more.

Upvote 0
i've played both extensively, and to me, the rs gameplay just felt like zerg mode. a lot of emphasis placed on rushing and taking objectives, rinse repeat. the nuanced long term strategies of ro2, careful positioning, etc go out the window with banzai charges and black jungle maps. though i do appreciate the foliage. map design just makes it a hinderance and annoyance most of the time.

Upvote 0
I much prefer RS, but that's just because I like the Pacific War better than the Ostfront. Before the release of RS, I was a regular on RO2 servers, but I've not really played it since then. I live in Japan, so there's always a hard core of experienced Japanese players online in the evenings. Matches are therefore much more balanced, as the Japanese team almost always has its act together. And it's really nice, as Seinichin88 says, to hear correct Japanese accents on the voicechat ;)

Upvote 0