• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS RO2 and RS performance pisses me off... no more :)

Krane65

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2012
I went out and upgraded my hard drive to a SSD, put both my OS and RS on it... And I still get low fps and lag. My fps averages under 8 most of the time on 64 players servers. My computer is well more than capable to max this game out or close enough to it.

Core i5 2500k
8 gb RAM
SSD (both OS and RS are on it!)
HD5770
Windows 7 ultimate

If you are a hardware elitest/snob and are going to tell me how much of a dinosaur my 3 year-old computer is, then feel no need to apply. I tried my SETTINGS ON LOWEST AND STILL GET BELOW 8 FPS.

This game is completely unplayable. And no it is not my computer (and I JUST did a complete format and reinstall of EVERYTHING less than 4 hours ago)

Last edited:
Something else is going on with your particular setup because your cpu and gpu should be able to run it. I have a much older system and run everything on Ultra for between 35-60 fps.

Perhaps check into a BIOS update or recent driver updates if you haven't lately?

Also, I hate to tell you this, having an SSD isn't going to make the game run better and give you better fps, it has nothing really to do with that. At best it will only help you load the game and maps faster.

Upvote 0
make sure you do not have any webpages open in the background, and perhaps monitor your GPU clock speeds.

The 5770 is notorious to automatically clock down to its lower speed settings in games like RS/RO2. So run the game with something like msi afterburner (dont change anything from default but add the overlay that shows the gpu speed). (at least I initially had loads of issues until i did some tweaking on my laptop which uses a 5870 mobility radeon which is simply a 5770 desktop chip).

Chances are that your videocard is running at like 1/10th of its real speed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
make sure you do not have any webpages open in the background, and perhaps monitor your GPU clock speeds.

The 5770 is notorious to automatically clock down to its lower speed settings in games like RS/RO2. So run the game with something like msi afterburner (dont change anything from default but add the overlay that shows the gpu speed). (at least I initially had loads of issues until i did some tweaking on my laptop which uses a 5870 mobility radeon which is simply a 5770 desktop chip).

Chances are that your videocard is running at like 1/10th of its real speed.

I checked the max clock while attempting to play RS... It is my max speed which I even overclocked. I'm about to just give up on this game!! I've tried everything. Formatting my hard drive, no antivirus installed, hard drive upgrade, messing with all the graphics settings. It makes no difference... Something about RO2 doesn't like my current hardware configuration even though it should be able to tear the game to pieces.

BTW RO2 is one of the ugliest games I've seen in a while. It has absolutely no excuse for this...

Upvote 0
It's a problem on your end, people here are just trying to help you.

I'm glad for the help... The game is the problem. My computer runs all other games maxed out. Older and newest games...

I don't require 60 fps for it to be playable. I can even play on 20 fps very comfortably. But it can't even achieve that... I'd be lucky to break 7 fps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What motherboard do you have?

Because you're running an i5 2500k (GREAT CPU btw), many motherboards will (by default) vary the speed at which it runs WHILE IT IS RUNNING THE GAME!!! I had this happen to me when I first loaded RO on my computer.

I have an Asus board. Unfortunately I forget exactly what the setting it defaulted to is called. I think it was "energy saving". But it changed the clock speed of the cpu depending upon its task. That setting did not work well with UE at all. Change it to something else (just not "extreme".)

Good luck.

Upvote 0
What motherboard do you have?

Because you're running an i5 2500k (GREAT CPU btw), many motherboards will (by default) vary the speed at which it runs WHILE IT IS RUNNING THE GAME!!! I had this happen to me when I first loaded RO on my computer.

I have an Asus board. Unfortunately I forget exactly what the setting it defaulted to is called. I think it was "energy saving". But it changed the clock speed of the cpu depending upon its task. That setting did not work well with UE at all. Change it to something else (just not "extreme".)

Good luck.

Ohhh I saw that setting in my bios and tried changing it a few hours ago. There is something seriously wrong with my motherboard ever since i got it. When I try to save any settings my computer shuts off and keeps turning back on.....off and on until I reset my motherboard using the cmos jumper. Sadly windows isn't even booting now, even after reseting the jumper. The bios shows a "cmos failure" at startup and then attempts to load windows which doesn't work :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In BIOS try disabling EIST/C1+C3/C6

Keep Thermal...something...Enabled though (Its when the CPU Die reaches temp treshold it reduces voltage/clock) aka at 80c+ to prevent damage.

IF you got another monitor use HWMonitor+Process Manager(Performance tab)+MSI Afterburner to check your Temperatures, Usages and such.

If no difference, enable C1+C3/C6 and EIST again.

Turn off youtube and such.

What drivers are you using? Tried changing?

Upvote 0
I went out and upgraded my hard drive to a SSD, put both my OS and RS on it... And I still get low fps and lag. My fps averages under 8 most of the time on 64 players servers. My computer is well more than capable to max this game out or close enough to it.

Core i5 2500k
8 gb RAM
SSD (both OS and RS are on it!)
HD5770
Windows 7 ultimate

If you are a hardware elitest/snob and are going to tell me how much of a dinosaur my 3 year-old computer is, then feel no need to apply. I tried my SETTINGS ON LOWEST AND STILL GET BELOW 8 FPS.

This game is completely unplayable. And no it is not my computer (and I JUST did a complete format and reinstall of EVERYTHING less than 4 hours ago)

:eek: The problem is not game optimization. Trust me. Both games have already been put through the wringer for optimization. Make sure that SSD is not set up for page filing. Win 7 probably wont page file it anyway, but check. There is something dreadfully askew in your system that should be easy to correct. I often look toward gpu and drivers in situations like this, but I'm years out of touch with ATI products. You should not be anywhere around 8 fps.
One last thought: Make sure that SSD has the latest controller drivers provided by the manufacturer installed. Without proper controller drivers, the SSD performance can actually have a struggle with write-back and over-writes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:cool:

Hmmm. No. You don't do much of anything with an SSD drive. No defrag, no page file, no format, no nothing. Win 7 will take care of the rest. The most important thing is the controller drivers. Make sure you have the latest from the manufacturer. There are also in some cases diagnostic utilities from the manufacturer that will reassure you all is running well. Intel models have a good one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Update! I ran cpu-z and found out my processor was only running at half it's speed! I tried many suggested fixes for it - turning off speedstep, c1e, energy saving, etc... I had no results from that. Finally I decided to flash my motherboard bios with an update and now it's running at full speed. I wonder if my cpu's been running half speed ever since I got it??!! Wow... That would mean every game I've played since I got my new hardware has been running at half speed or less.

POSSIBLE FIX: If you're reading this thread and have a similar performance issue.....get cpu-z and check to make sure your cpu is running at it's full speed. If your cpu isn't running full speed, disable your cpu energy saving settings in your bios - speedstep, c1e, etc. Then if your processor speed is sitll low, you should consider flashing your motherboard bios. I found my cpu was running at half speed even under high stress... I'm betting this was causing my horrid performance. A BIOS update made my cpu speed skyrocket to it's expected clock. Will confirm fix upon downloading RO2

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Update! I ran cpu-z and found out my processor was only running at half it's speed! I tried many suggested fixes for it - turning off speedstep, c1e, energy saving, etc... I had no results from that. Finally I decided to flash my motherboard bios with an update and now it's running at full speed. I wonder if my cpu's been running half speed ever since I got it??!! Wow... That would mean every game I've played since I got my new hardware has been running at half speed or less.

POSSIBLE FIX: If you're reading this thread and have a similar performance issue.....get cpu-z and check to make sure your cpu is running at it's full speed. If your cpu isn't running full speed, disable your cpu energy saving settings in your bios - speedstep, c1e, etc. Then if your processor speed is sitll low, you should consider flashing your motherboard bios. I found my cpu was running at half speed even under high stress... I'm betting this was causing my horrid performance. A BIOS update made my cpu speed skyrocket to it's expected clock. Will confirm fix upon downloading RO2

Our thanks to the community for pointing you in the right direction. And we're glad that RO2 helped to pinpoint a performance problem with your hardware, rather than the other way round :)

Upvote 0