• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Rising Storm & Red Orchestra 2 - What's really going on?

Cpt-Praxius

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005
Canadian in Australia
With Rising Storm, I still don't understand how it's supposed to be a Stand Alone game when TW also said it would be incorporated into RO2 and also use the same server browser and the same servers as RO2.... right now it's a stand alone in beta, which makes sense as it's still in Beta, but I don't get the whole plan TW is going about with RO2 / RS.

I mean, if you load up RS, you have the Workshop section loaded with all of the RO2 maps, and you have the RO2 SP Campaign Training Missions, along with the RS maps..... just not the RO2 SP Campaign Missions.

So does this mean RS is just going to be the new game to load and my copy of RO2 is just obsolete or will they be merged??

If they are going to be merged, as what was my understanding and what makes sense giving the Steam Icon for RO2/RS, then how is it a Stand Alone game?

If we're going to end up with two separate games that somehow share the same servers and same server browser.... then why aren't they going to be merged??

Sorry, but the whole plan just isn't very clear.

A lot of people in the Steam Discussions keep talking about RS being an Expansion... while others are saying it's a Stand Alone Game.

So which is it? It can't be both.

If it's a Stand Alone Game which already has all of RO2's maps and everything except the SP Campaign, then does that mean RO2 is just going to gradually fade away and more focus is going to go into Rising Storm?? (Rising Storm with an RO2 Expansion)

If it's an Expansion of RO2 and RO2 & RS are going to be merged into one game, then why are people calling it a Stand Alone Game?????

Looking into the Steam Stats:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
Rising Storm Beta has had 2376 players in the last 24 hours.....

..... RO2 is not even on the charts and hasn't really been on the charts since RS Pre Order went live. RO2 was actually not too bad with player counts after the last update/humble bundle weekend, and was around 1500-2000 players on average.... now it seems everybody has flocked to RSB.

So when RS is actually released, will the Steam Charts show Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm player counts as separate games or will it show something like Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm???

Sorry to say, but all of this from my view looks like Red Orchestra 2 is going to be done away with after RS is launched and RO2 gets this next patch with RS...... That doesn't sound very logical and I'm sure TW will still continue to support RO2, but all of the above certainly doesn't make things very clear in regards to RO2's future.

I was under the impression Rising Storm was to compliment RO2 (& vice versa) not take it over.

So what's really going on??

Last edited:
Currently it is separate but when it is released it should be one executable and you just choose RO2 servers or RS servers or play RO2+RS servers.

Players who have RS do not have access to RO2 single player but can play RO2 multiplayer. I believe this is how most standalone works. You don't have access to single player of the original game but you generally can play multiplayer with players from the original.

Upvote 0
Someone claimed RO2 owners will have access to a limited version of RS as well - though it might be rumor for all I know. But anyway yes, as danh said, the idea is to merge the games when RS releases, so you can play Danzig or Apartments or whatever it's called these days, then a round of Guadalcanal.

..And I won't stop dreaming of a round of Battle of the Bulge, Tobruk, Caen or Monte Cassino after that ;)

Upvote 0
So.... it's not a "Stand Alone" game then but an actual "Expansion" of RO2.

I just find it confusing and a bit contradictory calling Rising Storm a "Stand Alone Expansion" when it's not "Stand Alone"

Yes, I'm fickling over nuances here, but calling it one thing, or the other, or both, has completely different meanings and is causing confusions and differing expectations with some new players I am coming across..... and I haven't been able to properly explain what's actually going on between RO and RS without knowing exactly what's going on myself.

A lot of people continually keep asking on whether they should get RO2 and then RS, or do they get RS and get RO2, or if there is going to be two EXE's like there currently is with RO2 and RS Beta (Again, understandable since it's in beta)

Or is it all going to be under one EXE.... which was my original understanding.... just the whole "Stand Alone" + The Beta being named the way it is and with its own EXE.... threw everything for a loop and was pretty damn confusing.

What I mean by "Named" is that it's not Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm, it's just Rising Storm.

So that leads to another question:

When Rising Storm is released and "Merged" into RO2, what's the final game going to be titled in Steam??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think they call it standalone because you don't need to own RO2 beforehand to purchas RS.

True, but it comes with RO2 when you purchase RS, so wouldn't that be an RS/RO2 Pack?

It's still not a Stand Alone as it comes with RO2.

If it didn't come with RO2, then I could see the sense in calling it a Stand Alone.

*throws hands in the air*

Bah, Chicken and the Egg Philosophical Crap :cool:

Upvote 0
It doesn't come with RO2 Single player. It does not require you to own it. That is why it is stand alone.

It does come with RO2 multiplayer and you can be nit picky with this since most stand alones have faction/race restrictions when you don't have the original game. I think the developers wanted players to seamlessly switch between RO2 and RS multiplayer which boosts the value and longevity of the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"RO2 is not even on the charts and hasn't really been on the charts since RS Pre Order went live. RO2 was actually not too bad with player counts after the last update/humble bundle weekend, and was around 1500-2000 players on average.... now it seems everybody has flocked to RSB."

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=224780q35450

Upvote 0
"RO2 is not even on the charts and hasn't really been on the charts since RS Pre Order went live. RO2 was actually not too bad with player counts after the last update/humble bundle weekend, and was around 1500-2000 players on average.... now it seems everybody has flocked to RSB."

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=224780q35450

Interesting graph, as it shows RO2 just vanished.... literally died.

Which isn't really surprising as for the last day or so, people have been flooding the Steam Discussion section with complaints of Steam Auth Kick.... which I also just experienced.

So now most people can't even play RO2 even if they wanted to.... which might account for the graph just stopping for RO2.

Hope that's fixed soon.

Upvote 0
True, but it comes with RO2 when you purchase RS, so wouldn't that be an RS/RO2 Pack?

It's still not a Stand Alone as it comes with RO2.

If it didn't come with RO2, then I could see the sense in calling it a Stand Alone.

*throws hands in the air*

Bah, Chicken and the Egg Philosophical Crap :cool:

It is stand alone, you do not need to purchase any other game or play any other game if you don't want to. If you had to buy another game to play then it wouldn't be classed that. No more confusion necessary.

Upvote 0
It is stand alone, you do not need to purchase any other game or play any other game if you don't want to. If you had to buy another game to play then it wouldn't be classed that. No more confusion necessary.
seriously. and why worry about it anyway. it's gonna be what it's gona be. no amount of speculation on our part is going to change that.

Upvote 0
As others have stated, RS is "stand-alone" in the sense that ownership of RO2:HoS is not a prerequisite for playing RS. RS complements the "base game" in that it provides access to the substantive portion of HoS (multiplayer) and will enable (upon RS's official release) seamless transition between HoS and RS multiplayer content.

About your talk of player count and "doing away" with HoS: you're being a bit too dramatic. Most people who would otherwise be playing HoS have pounced upon RS Beta and are obsessively playing that for the time being. Once the newness of RS has worn off and servers can effectively switch between HoS and RS (once RS is officially released), I'm sure there will be an even distribution of servers playing all the RO2 content. No need to be hysterical.

Upvote 0
So.... it's not a "Stand Alone" game then but an actual "Expansion" of RO2.

I just find it confusing and a bit contradictory calling Rising Storm a "Stand Alone Expansion" when it's not "Stand Alone"

It can run perfectly happily on its own, without RO2. Separate exe - that's how we've been playing and testing for a long time. But we kinda thought that RO2 owners and RS owners might like to play together - so we've set it up that way.

• People buying RS get access to all the existing RO2 MP content
  • People who already own RO2 get access to RS (bolties only)
That way everyone can all see the whole set of servers; no-one has to leave just because the server switches from an RS map to an RO2 map.

Upvote 0
It can run perfectly happily on its own, without RO2. Separate exe - that's how we've been playing and testing for a long time. But we kinda thought that RO2 owners and RS owners might like to play together - so we've set it up that way.

That way everyone can all see the whole set of servers; no-one has to leave just because the server switches from an RS map to an RO2 map.

Fair - efficient - inexpensive - a quality product - FUN to play

Upvote 0

And I presume if I've bought the RS expansion, and load up RO2, join an RS server I can use any class, not just bolt action rifles. Or do I need to fire up RS to do so.

And when you say bolt action, does that mean M1 Garand / Carbines are out for non-RS owners?

Anyway, I see it as - if you own RO2, RS is an expansion. If you don't, RS is a stand alone game. This helps justify the discount for RO2 owners.

Upvote 0