• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Return RO:CA

Er.... apparently? The game potentially supports 64 players now, yes? Though I've not seen any run more than 50 for hardware reasons.

Unless you're wishing to imply that the jump in player count is a bad thing?
No, your first thought is right, I thought it only supported 50, not 64 potentialy. Well, cool beans then. :D

Upvote 0
Said it before many times so will say it again :p
It's more than nostalgia. There is things missing from Ostfront that imo should be there from the Mod.
There was a reason why me and many other players would spend months playing the same maps on countless clan wars and decent public play.

My reasons:

1. Some amazing maps (Berlin, Jucha, MH, Warsaw & Koitos)
2. Capping system (2 more plz!)
3. Rifles were the pwn. Thats what makes RO for me, it's the bolts. Now in Ostfront most maps SMG is the King, whereas a lot of these older maps the Bolts were the killers (yes even Warsaw :p).
Now it feels like bolts get used when there is no SMG's remaining :(

Ostfront is excellent, really added many new features that make the game great (leaning etc) and some cool new maps.

I will be on Saturday to do battle 3.3 style :p

Upvote 0
3. Rifles were the pwn. Thats what makes RO for me, it's the bolts. Now in Ostfront most maps SMG is the King, whereas a lot of these older maps the Bolts were the killers (yes even Warsaw :p).

This is probably the main reason that Kriegstadt is such a great map - it focuses on tactical movement and firing skills, not the ability to hold down MOUSE1.

Custom mappers, take note of Kriegs' success! SMG's are fail!

Upvote 0
This is probably the main reason that Kriegstadt is such a great map - it focuses on tactical movement and firing skills, not the ability to hold down MOUSE1.

Whoever says that you only need to hold down your fire-button in order to become a top SMG player fails as well :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
One of the main things that the mod does so much better (aside from atmosphere obviously) is the sounds. Sure some of them were overdone and slightly cheesy sounding but most of them weren't. The weapons just SOUNDED more threatening and scary and well vicious. It really added to the ambiance and the "grit" everything felt dirty and filthy and warlike. Just watch some of those videos Nimsky posted.

Everything seems like it's been sanitized and "de-scarified" in Ostfront. I don't really get the feeling of "dread" when I hear a distant (or close) gunbattle in progress. In the mod it was like "Oh **** they're gonna get me, WATCH OUT WATCH OUT *sweating*" In Ostfront I hear a gun battle and it mostly just serves to notify me of an enemys location and if he is still alive or lost the duel he was in. There's really no dread and fear in Ostfront. That's what I miss most. People don't often realize how huge an impact frightening sound can have in creating terror.

Upvote 0
Said it before many times so will say it again :p
It's more than nostalgia. There is things missing from Ostfront that imo should be there from the Mod.
There was a reason why me and many other players would spend months playing the same maps on countless clan wars and decent public play.

My reasons:

1. Some amazing maps (Berlin, Jucha, MH, Warsaw & Koitos)
2. Capping system (2 more plz!)

Ostfront is excellent, really added many new features that make the game great (leaning etc) and some cool new maps.

I will be on Saturday to do battle 3.3 style :p

1. Is this why everyone screamed and went NOT THAT !@%!@ MAP AGAIN! when Berlin came up? ;) Warsaw and Koitos have been ported, but they don't get much play. Jucha was nice, though.
2. didn't this die before 3.0?
3. SMGs were more powerful in the mod...less recoil. And, uh. Saying you like rifles being the king (fine) then saying you liked Koitos?

Upvote 0
{Core}Steven said:
Now it feels like bolts get used when there is no SMG's remaining

Exactly. Let's not forget what war we're fighting in: bolt-action rifles were the standard issue infantry weapon, not the SMG, not the Semi-Auto (don't tell me about the Garand because we're talking Eastern Front here).

Really, when/if I make another map the bolts are going to play a much bigger role, especially considering I'm looking at the 1941-42 scenarios.

Upvote 0
The most memorable sound from pre-Ostfront would have to be the sound of the big guns when you first joined the map, which I think was named, Spartakovka.

I am sure I will be corrected :D

This sound, when first connecting, ALWAYS had an effect on every player as it BOOMED upon joining.

Jeez, it scared me ****less.:eek:

Upvote 0
berlin wasnt overplayed on the euro servers maybe it was on the usa servers.

If there was a map overplayed it was koitos, and i still loved it.

I can know i love collecting statistics and the core 32 player server i adminned i kept looking at what maps were most voted for. And berlin is actually nr5 of the top maps. Its great for offering all ranges and ability to attack all kind of sides.

Upvote 0