• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Return RO:CA

Ostfront is starting to move in the opposite direction of what I love about RO. Does anyone still play Combined Arms? If so, how often and when/where...

I still have RO 3.3 installed and open it every now and then, just for the sake of the old days. Apparently, there are 4 or 5 servers, but most of the time I see them empty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dont be so stupid, if you're gonna come up with an argument to go back playing ro-ca at least make it a valid one. I've never played the mod so i dont know if ro-ost if moving away from the mod so please im curious give me a reason why i should try the mod?

hmm, i wonder how you would be able to judge if Ostfront became more "gamey" than the mod when you never played it yourself....

a valid argument is, that the mod had a way different feel for many, and many miss those days. A part of that might be nostalgia but well, there were changes and some might think some things were better in the mod.
I for one, though i like playing Ostfront, would say that it doesnt have the same addicting feel to it the mod had.
As for changes:
-mapstyles
-indication of enemies in the capzone
-blinking icons on the OH map

...along with several pretty small things like not being able to stop reloading on scoped rifles anymore or less variation of the uniforms. But well, it's the small things that make a big part of the feel of a game to me.
All in all I think all, even (or especially) the devs will agree that Ostfront is drastically different from the mod.

Upvote 0
hmm, i wonder how you would be able to judge if Ostfront became more "gamey" than the mod when you never played it yourself....

a valid argument is, that the mod had a way different feel for many, and many miss those days. A part of that might be nostalgia but well, there were changes and some might think some things were better in the mod.
I for one, though i like playing Ostfront, would say that it doesnt have the same addicting feel to it the mod had.
As for changes:
-mapstyles

...along with several pretty small things like not being able to stop reloading on scoped rifles anymore or less variation of the uniforms. But well, it's the small things that make a big part of the feel of a game to me.
All in all I think all, even (or especially) the devs will agree that Ostfront is drastically different from the mod.

To me the biggest change of feel was the fact that it was a lot harder to spot enemies in the moddays. Now soldiers stand out a lot more from the background, they are less concealed, wich makes killing them easier, and 'forcing' people to play more careless, knowing they dont have to scout out ahead before moving cause it's so easy to see people most of the time.
Wich is why i love Kriegstadt by EvilHobo, it's got the grittyness the mod had, with darker uniforms etc wich blend into the environment much much more.
Every time ive played that map, ive seen people behave 'realisticly', instead of the way most people move about in for example StalingradKessel, simply because its much harder to spot enemy soldiers, and they really can be everywhere.
And smg-soldiers usually dont spray and pray as much, as the streets are less confined and more open, making it an unvalid tactic most of the time, and they only do it in buildings wich comes across much better to me.
In the most stockmaps smg's have the ability to use spray and pray tactics very well most of the time, wich is just annoying and thanks to the animations look like **** as well (what i mean to say is, would the character hold the weapon shouldered and then spray you, it would look much better then when he is holding it loosely at his hip, and the sidestrafing doesnt help that feeling either. It just looks gamey and not right)

Upvote 0
As for changes:
-mapstyles

Honestly, I don't think it's that different from the mod. Different, yes. But not drastically different.

I don't like some changes myself, either. English class names, the things you mentioned, etc... though I don't know what you mean with "mapstyles". The maps look quite similar to me.

Overall, the feel of Ostfront is much better to me. Players are much more maneuverable - I can do a crouch run, dive away from grenades (actually surviving), lean around the corner firing off a burst from my SMG while it's supported on the wall reducing its recoil.... all within a few seconds. But the movement in the mod felt so much more robotic. Do you seriously want to go back to that? Really, Ostfront is a very good game if you compare it to mainstream shooters.

I know it makes you cool to say "z0mg sellouts" (apparently it's wrong to make money doing the things you love), but it doesn't apply to Tripwire. They're one of the few gaming companies out there that stick to their original integrity. Be thankful for that. Ostfront is a fine product of love and hard work... and that's a fact!:D

Upvote 0
Yeah, these two points annoy me. If anyone could create a mutator to get rid of these two features it would be nice.

One of the movement things I miss from the mod is the inertia effect we had in 3.3.
1 rifle round killing 2 people. Where is that?!!?! That was so awesome in the mod.
The mod also had longer spawn times which I think was better more often than not I get back into the fighting with less than 5 seconds wait now.

I also agree about the uniforms, I remember the first time I played Krasnyi, I killed 4 people with 1 clip and I was really surprised, because I felt like doing something like that in RO:CA was so much harder.

Upvote 0
a thing i completely missed and makes a big part of the different gamestyle is the huuuuuge benefit of resting your weapon. Not saying its not realistic, but in the mod you fought more on equal terma when attacking/defending. Now the defender gets +10 defense bonus :/ Doesnt so much apply to chaos pub games. In ordered matches this is really obvious though.

Upvote 0