• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Respawn on SL - the thread

Never found something more idiotic in an online game than a guy proned out of all action staying alive so others can spawn on him.
And never have found myself wanting to reply more rudely than when someone tells me to stay alive because i'm his damn sl.

That's why I rarely play SL and when I do I end up changing to other role because people keep whining I'm on the cap zones and not hiding my *** in some obscure corner giving birth to full grown men... :(

Upvote 0
That's why I rarely play SL and when I do I end up changing to other role because people keep whining I'm on the cap zones and not hiding my *** in some obscure corner giving birth to full grown men... :(
What we need is an "abortion" option. This is not the Vatican. Not sure what they would say but I think it is how they multiply. :D

But seriously the way you need to play SL in Realism is just silly to me as well despite it being my favorite class in Classic. In Realism I find it very unrewarding even if I do a great deal for my team. I think mostly because spawning on SL was not part of the Wehrmacht's manual or any other parties in the 1940's. Paratroopers would be nice though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Then don't pick the SL class, because you're making your team lose. :rolleyes: You might dislike the system, you have the chance to give your opinion on the forums etc... but while it's there, don't be a selfish jerk and help your team (sorry for the language, but this is really frustrating).

sure ;), change squad if you don't like it :rolleyes:

We may have very different opinions as to how you help your team but i don't take the bull**** that some people can boss others around about their playstyle because they don't feel like walking 15 seconds more sometimes... Not sure who's winning the selfish contest here :rolleyes:

SL is or should be so much more than a advanced spawn point... (in realism i mean)

Upvote 0
Maybe someone can clarify for me. Prior to RS release when we had no spawn bonuses I thought that you could not spawn on the SL if he was inside a contested cap zone. This does not seem to be the case now as I have had people spawn on me when I move into the cap once we have pushed it over 50% or so. I also thought a SL could not be a spawn point if he was under enemy fire, but again I have been suppressed by arty and MG's while still spawning and receiving the +1 bonus.

Upvote 0
The only reason why I like it is because it keeps people inside of assault groups as opposed to a bunch of people just running around solo doing their own thing. I believe most of the complaints this game faces originate with TEAMWORK issues IE "we can't win on map X as faction Y". 8 times out of 10 this is all due to teamwork or lack thereof. If people played more as a team and didn't need the game to force the concept of teamwork upon us then we wouldn't need the "Spawn on SL" feature.

It occurred to me that most of the games I play all I see are individuals running about with reckless abandon, mixed squads with members from other units mixed into another, and there is absolutely no coherency of assault waves. The easiest way to capture an objective is to perform a full assault wave in unity with every squad performing a crucial action and without the "Spawn on SL" feature we don't really get that. The reason why the first 2 objectives are hard to capture as an attacker is because the team is not working harmoniously. The way it is now we still have disjointed strategy in which a full squad doesn't wait until the depleted squads are ready to make a move. There is no communication between squads and no chain of command. The "Spawn on SL" function at least adds a little coherency to a game in which a sense of coherent strategy is desperately needed.

None of these problems even stem from the game itself, but the players.... I see too many people play RO like COD in which half of the team is playing this like your typical Run&Gun. I want people to STICK TO THEIR DAMNED SQUAD LEADER!!! I WANT squad leaders to communicate with their commanders so he knows when to call in artillery strikes, I want to see teams supporting the machine gunner, I want to see riflemen forming a firing line to put massive amount of lead downrange accurately, I want the SL to tell the marksmans "Hey there is an MG nest over there take it out" etc. etc. etc.

This game would play so much more fluidly if only people followed their damned leaders and if people didn't pick SL solely because "He's gots da betta gun."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Prior to RS release when we had no spawn bonuses I thought that you could not spawn on the SL if he was inside a contested cap zone. I also thought a SL could not be a spawn point if he was under enemy fire, but again I have been suppressed by arty and MG's while still spawning and receiving the +1 bonus.

I remember it being like you describe, plus I'm pretty sure there was supposed to be a rule that you could only spawn on SL if it were in a place out of players sight to avoid the "soldiers popping up out of nowhere" effect.

Obviously none of this are working right now unfortunately... Well, or at least I like to think it's a broken feature and not how TWI envisioned it...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I loved how in RO:OST you actually had to think what you were doing, and when it would be a good time to charge. And if you died you had a long walk back to the position... in most cases.
Now I just see people facerolling to the capzone and dying instantly because they can just spawn back on the SL. Even the distance between capzone and spawn is not so long.

I do understand the point of spawn on SL, though.
Makes it easier to communicate with your squad, like saying ''everyone spawn on me, then we attack''. I just wish more people wanted to play this way instead of just running solo everytime.

Upvote 0
"spawn on troop carrier" or "spawn on SL vehicle" *as long as sl is alive and the vehicle intact*

COULD lead to very interesting setups...;)

respawn on SL do'esn't work if SL is dead ( or abandonned ? ;);) )
as the same way
respawn on vehicle doesn't work if vehicle is destroyed or abandonned.

Never found something more idiotic in an online game than a guy proned out of all action staying alive so others can spawn on him.
And never have found myself wanting to reply more rudely than when someone tells me to stay alive because i'm his damn sl.

I don't understand what the problem is for TWI to make this a custom server option.
When i check the filters almost 2/3 of the players are on realism servers, classic is dead and custom has around 10% of players and <20% of servers...

Moral factor ! It's not magic operation, but tactic thing.
Tripwire decided to create a "moral factor" in the game with respawn on SL. It's a good symbolization of what is a moral factor.

It's a feature that needs to be changed. Right now it's too easy to spawn in front of an enemy who can't kill you, no matter where your squad leader is. Maybe if it worked the way TWI intended it wouldn't annoy me so much.

It's just the squad leader who is a bad squad leader...
Not the system who is bad.

I will stand by my timed squad rally point idea. Project reality uses a similar system and it works perfectly.

You will break the dynamic of the squad based on link betwen SL and soldiers.

[QUOTE=Au

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sure ;), change squad if you don't like it :rolleyes:

We may have very different opinions as to how you help your team but i don't take the bull**** that some people can boss others around about their playstyle because they don't feel like walking 15 seconds more sometimes... Not sure who's winning the selfish contest here :rolleyes:

Lol what? If you're SL1, you can have half the team spawning on you, close to the cap point. This creates an incredible push-force on the cap, that you no way could achieve any other way.

When you're SL4 with a 3-people squad, sure, get in the cap, no problem. But as SL1, it's not a matter of "different playstyle", it's a matter of being a selfish idiotic douchebag who just wants to have a submachine gun, and doesn't care if his team loses because he just wants to run and gun.

We can argue if this system is ideal or not, but right now, it is what it is, and if you can't use it, then leave it for someone who can.

Upvote 0
Lol what? If you're SL1, you can have half the team spawning on you, close to the cap point. This creates an incredible push-force on the cap, that you no way could achieve any other way.

Yes dude,
We can have a concentration of soldiers, more easily and more QUICKLY ! (then more BRUTALY). It's explain, partially, why Realism mode is interesting.

Don't associate RO 2 to COD just because you meet a higher concentration of ambush and assault. It's an error. The higher concentration of ambush and assault used in RO 2 is not the same way to be a concentration of ambush and assault used in COD. It's not really not the same kind.

Dudes : higher concentration of ambush and assault is so GOOD !

Tripwire interactive created his own way to have a higher concentration of ambush and assault in this game. And it's not the COD way.

Best battles are battles working with moral factor...Moral factor of soldiers and SL together. And not soldiers only or SL only.

"Magical appearance" is the risk. But "magical appearance" are only few failure of this system who work pretty well. Few failures one side. A lot of "tactic fun" another side. Magical appearance is also the risk of close combat. Magical appearance appear only in presence of bad SL and bad SL...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

When you're SL4 with a 3-people squad, sure, get in the cap, no problem. But as SL1, it's not a matter of "different playstyle", it's a matter of being a selfish idiotic douchebag who just wants to have a submachine gun, and doesn't care if his team loses because he just wants to run and gun.

We can argue if this system is ideal or not, but right now, it is what it is, and if you can't use it, then leave it for someone who can.

Like the spawn on SL or not, a squad leader is much much more than a mobile spawn point. Besides being the squad leader who can order the squad around (if they listen is besides the point), use smoke and spot artillery and provide more capping power.

I'm sure in some cases a player may pick SL because they want an smg, but don't label them everyone like that. And what do you call someone who picks squad leader in classic, custom, etc?

As far as SL1, SL2 etc and squad size, that is a problem because TWI has that simplified Class selection screen instead of the Squad selection screen being default or the only one.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry ro2player, but 'magical' appearance of players in the vicinity of combat is a BS argument.

I'm all for the spawn on SL as an option if all it does is help keep the squad together and NOT have players magically appear in or behind the objectives, or magically appear in front of the enemy. It is a failure of the system and should be fixed.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry ro2player, but 'magical' appearance of players in the vicinity of combat is a BS argument.

I'm all for the spawn on SL as an option if all it does is help keep the squad together and NOT have players magically appear in or behind the objectives, or magically appear in front of the enemy. It is a failure of the system and should be fixed.

Moe,
'magical' appearance is maybe the main problem of Respawn on SL. I am agree. I recognize invincibilty of respawn on SL is not good.
Soldiers should have no invincibilty in respawn on SL and also appears in prone way.

I said only it's the risk of close combat...If you don't want close combat and don't want to act in close combat, don't use it.
Disable respawn on SL disable the job of squad. Sorry here i am disagree.

Like the spawn on SL or not, a squad leader is much much more than a mobile spawn point. Besides being the squad leader who can order the squad around (if they listen is besides the point), use smoke and spot artillery and provide more capping power.

Moe, you say rigth. but i want to add something.

The point who is more interresting is the LINK betwen SL and soldiers. And not only the fact to be SL or soldiers. SL is only a "bridge" for soldiers to be themselves. (just my opinion...)

Good SL - Good bridge. Bad SL - bad bridge.
Bad bridge mean soldiers figth as individual.
Good bridge mean soldiers figth as unit.

In this way, Moe, we can see SL is at the service of his men. In another way his men serve the SL. But a good SL need to serve his men too. A SL who doesn't serve his men, it's not really a SL just a player...

SL make soldiers soldiers. Soldiers make SL SL. "No one figth alone" said COD 1. It's rigth. And more rigth in RO 2. Chosing SL to have things (smoke or g41)...is not the same thing than chosing SL to BE someone.

"No one figth alone"...respawn on SL show it. It's the perfect symbol of this sentence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I'm sure in some cases a player may pick SL because they want an smg, but don't label them everyone like that. And what do you call someone who picks squad leader in classic, custom, etc?

As far as SL1, SL2 etc and squad size, that is a problem because TWI has that simplified Class selection screen instead of the Squad selection screen being default or the only one.

A squad leader is more than just a spawnpoint, ofcourse, but when you're SL1 and you're not using yourself as spawnpoint, you're really hurting your chances of winning the game. Doing this doesn't prevent you to throw smoke or put down artillery markers, or to communicate with your squad.

But doing all the other things an SL can do and still rush in the point with your squad will get you killed a lot more, lowering the pressure on the cap point by a huge amount. Every spawn time your squad loses 1 or 2 spawntimes of running to the objective, possibly getting killed trying to get there.

I get the discussion about this feature, I really do. I personally find the importance of SL as spawnpoint extra thrilling, but I understand others might find it boring. But my point is, now that the feature is enabled, use it or let someone else use it.

Upvote 0
I get the discussion about this feature, I really do. I personally find the importance of SL as spawnpoint extra thrilling, but I understand others might find it boring. But my point is, now that the feature is enabled, use it or let someone else use it.

Well, its not up to the squad leader to use it, the squad members will use it whether the squad leader agrees with the system or not. So for the most part, unless the squad leader is hanging around in the rear, he is being used at least somewhat as a useful spawn point.

Besides, who is to say that a player who likes the system would make a better squad leader? :D

Upvote 0
@RO2 player

If you had played on a custom server without spawn on SL or on a Classic server you would know that all your points are invalid. You want to see something and make up explanations like "human wave" etc.

I think like some said they like the feature because they dislike running back to the front in a good position which is exactly my point. Taking away the penalty of dying and catering careless gameplay by playing over aggressively. It makes it feel arcadish for many reasons. I know many of you are used to be back right into the action after dying but you need to learn to be patient and realize that staying alive, retreating at the right moment, work as a team and so on are realistic skills and make for a realistic battle. Hardly any penalty on dying and coming down from space do not encourage realistic game play.

Fact is that for many of us it breaks immersion and gameplay despite your efforts to convince us. Squad cohesion is still poor most of the time even with spawn on SL. I don't know what you mean by the moral factor which spawn on SL represents as you say. Seriously no idea what you mean.

Spawn on SL should be optional or completely reworked as at the moment it just creates silly arcade gameplay with constant action in style of UT or other arcade shooters.
For me spawn on SL has far more negatives than positives. It is a game breaker and I cannot find explanations for myself to make this plausible. It just isn't. It turns soldiers into fearless lemmings and creates "Picard meets space Nazis" moments which I could do without.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am absolutely against spawn on SL or any other point which is not in spawn area. It only crashes all the logic and realism. Is this realistic that you spawn near enemy spawn in front of enemy soilder when your commander is hiding in trench? No, this is NOT "chaos of war " or something like that. This is unexplainable when you see enemy commander and SUDDENLY new enemy soilders teleports to him. Anyway, i guess that all questions about spawn on SL will become stupid when armored transporters will be able.

Upvote 0
I am absolutely against spawn on SL or any other point which is not in spawn area. It only crashes all the logic and realism. Is this realistic that you spawn near enemy spawn in front of enemy soilder when your commander is hiding in trench? No, this is NOT "chaos of war " or something like that. This is unexplainable when you see enemy commander and SUDDENLY new enemy soilders teleports to him. Anyway, i guess that all questions about spawn on SL will become stupid when armored transporters will be able.

aaz777, you are wrong.
Because you don't understand what is "moral factor" inside battle and on battelfield.I prefer playing with moral factor than without "moral factor".

With respawn on SL squad have quick and better cohesion...
It's difficult to understand ??

Upvote 0