• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Redirected Problems

Where did you hosted the redirected.

logo.png

HomeContactNewsSupportKnowledgebaseLink to UsTestimonials

Super FAST and Reliable

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is a quick HOW TO: For those with a server from Game Server [GS]

To Setup up Redirect for Game Servers:

First Download Server Files - Use FTP Client and Upload these to the CookedPCServer folder as .upk removing any folders.

Second Download Player Files - Create a redirectfiles folder under xxxxxx\ro2\rogame\ with your FTP Client - put all client files here and if map files have extension of .roe rename to .upk and also have no subfolders under redirectfiles

Enable This within your roengine.ini file

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://redirect.ny.gameservers.com/Your server IP_7777/
UseCompression=False

Add this to your rogame.ini - Changing obviously the map name and descriptions - This is what adds the files to your WebAdmin for selection and moving to your map cycle list. This doesn't work like it did in RO for Server hosting where it auto seen the maps and just did it all for you. A bit more is required by the server admins now.

[TE-Provkhoy_b1 ROUIDataProvider_WorldInfo]
MapName=TE-Provkhoy_b1
FriendlyName=Provkhoy
PreviewImageMarkup=<Images:ui_textures.menus.HostGame.ui_hostgame_mapselect_Station>
Description=Provkhoy Beta 1 Map

[TE-Provkhoy_b1 ROUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
MapName=TE-Provkhoy_b1
FriendlyName=Provkhoy
GameType=ROGame.ROGameInfoTerritories
PreviewImageMarkup=
Description=Provkhoy Beta 1 Map
LoadMapMovie=
MapTips=
MapTips=
MapType16=ROMT_CombinedArms
MapType32=ROMT_CombinedArms
MapType64=ROMT_CombinedArms

Good luck and hope this helps some folks.

The CLOWNS HEROES SERVER is up with all the latest new maps for your enjoyment and with quick downloads\redirect working.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am also reluctant to run the current crop of custom maps because of redirect issues.

I have found that as a rule of thumb server player numbers will decline by about 40% when a custom map is loaded.

I am so for custom maps and I will always support mappers and modders through my Ausise / NZ server, but if players are having trouble getting the content, be it through error or just frustration, then perhaps the process needs to be revisited.

I recall chatter a few months ago before the release of the SDK and first crop of customs maps there was talk of TWI needing to whitelist custom maps and having them delivered through a steam update.

I was against this at the time as I feel it takes so much away from the mapper and server managers, but maybe this is what needs to happen to a few maps each month.

Maybe TWI needs to select a few custom maps each month to be included in a RO2 steam update. That way all players are going to get them and server operators are more likely to include them in their regular rotation.

I was so against this at first as it forces map downloads on people, but now I am reconsidering my position.

Maybe TWI could include a few custom maps in their steam update once the map is through beta stage. I don't know just putting the idea out as the current way seems to be troubled.

I second this. We just upgraded our redirect package to pro, giving us 200 slots and unlimited bandwidth. Even with this our population drops when a custom map comes up.

If the server has 64 people on it, it drops down to 38 players with around 50 connections(so 14 or so get dropped right away), then you see the connections drop even more usually down to around the low 40s, after that it takes a good 10/20 minutes during peak US times to fill back up to full. Out with peak times it just kills the server completely.

We tested the new redirect just running one map, and it kills the population on its own, if we put more on it would kill the server completely. Therefore, as it stands we can't put any new maps on our server until this is fixed or if TWI goes with what Cat_in_da_hat has suggested and do a dlc map pack every month. Which I think would work as I doubt you're going to have huge amounts of maps come out each month, and we definitely need to be able to run these new maps as they come out to keep people playing the game.

Upvote 0
We need to do some !!SCIENCE!! about when the redirect is working and when it isn't, so we can isolate the problem.

Personally, my hypothesis is that there's some sort of overflow (in the computing sense) when you're serving the map to too many clients at once. A loop may break on accident, and the clients lose connection for some reason.

So, post these three things when your redirect fails:
  1. Number of Players on
  2. Size of Map File
  3. Speed of redirect (if possible)

Upvote 0
Last night we had 8 clan members playing on our custom map server and boy was it ever a mess with the downloading. We were all on teamspeak, only a few were having a fast download, was slow for many, and for some we had to reconnect and download all over again.

This is NOT related to our re-direct server, it's always been super fast with other games.

Tripwire needs to investigate what the problem is or custom content will not survive in this game.

Upvote 0
The problem is not the download at self
if i set UseCompression=false then the download works.

but i have a slow line i only have a download with 400kb/s and i guess im not the only one who lives in a small town where i can get only this slow DSL.

By huge maps around 100mb i need over 7 minutes to play.
this is too much time.

I tried it with the Compression of my webserver (Deflating) but the result of it is minimal.
Tripwire need to do anything or they loose more players bcoz not everyone has enough patience to wait and connect to an other server without custom content.

I had 12 players on our server then he switched to provkoy.
after that we had only 2 players.
does anyone know what i mean ?
This is really annoying.
I do not flame i just say how it is.

Kind Greetings
Chris

Upvote 0
The problem is not the download at self
if i set UseCompression=false then the download works.

but i have a slow line i only have a download with 400kb/s and i guess im not the only one who lives in a small town where i can get only this slow DSL.

By huge maps around 100mb i need over 7 minutes to play.
this is too much time.

I tried it with the Compression of my webserver (Deflating) but the result of it is minimal.
Tripwire need to do anything or they loose more players bcoz not everyone has enough patience to wait and connect to an other server without custom content.

I had 12 players on our server then he switched to provkoy.
after that we had only 2 players.
does anyone know what i mean ?
This is really annoying.
I do not flame i just say how it is.

Kind Greetings
Chris

This was the one of the biggest thing that killed UT3.

Upvote 0
then this will be biggest problem for RO2 too bcoz it needs Costum-Content.

I am not a Dev im just a simple player and server admin but maybe TWI can make built in compression.
and your client is extracting it before he loads the map into the RAM.

On the Source-engine "HL2,CSS,DOD:S L4D" they got it already.

they are using BZ2.

Its just an idea but maybe this is possible for TWI =)

Upvote 0
I have a friend that takes care of me ;). I'll ask her later , if i can give out the info. it's based out of west coast, USA.

Thanks mate. I wonder how many concurrent connections you can get before it bogs down / or disconnects people? Or is it that good a connection that it can pretty much handle a boat load of requests...

Upvote 0
This is "NOT" TWI's fault. Just need to find real fast redirect host. I have my server set-up where i download 200mb map in less than a minute.

Download speed should NOT be a requirement for a download success.

I've tested 4 different download servers for two different game servers, and I'm getting that problem as soon as the downloads takes a bit long. I am able to reproduce the problem with 100% accuracy on my servers. These are the conditions:

1. Slow download (takes more than 1-1.5 minutes PER FILE).
2. Player must be in game BEFORE the map change.

How many players on the server is an INDIRECT condition, because having more player reduces the download speed (thus increase download time). BUT with a slow-enough download, 1 guy alone on a server will get that problem.

If TWI is interested, just drop me a PM I'll give you the HTTP address of the redirect, so you can test it on your servers. You will also be able to download the files manually from a browser, and you will see that it isn't the web server that's causing these disconnects, because manual download works 100% of time. I would even provide them with my config files if need be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dietl
Upvote 0
We have been able to recreate a symptom where the clients will not download content from a redirector. We are looking into that actively. It should be noted, however, that the redirector DOES work 99% of the time if properly set up.

In regards to what the heck belongs on a redirector server, it's the client content as the client should have it. When a custom mapper makes a map, they will include cooked client content and cooked server content. The cooked client content is what belongs on the redirector server.

NOTE: DO NOT RENAME SERVER CONTENT AND ASSUME THE CLIENT CAN USE IT. THE CLIENT CANNOT USE SERVER CONTENT AS IT'S MISSING THINGS THE CLIENT NEEDS TO RUN BUT THE SERVER DOES NOT.

In the same thought thread as above do not use client content on a server.

The INI settings (SERVER):

ROEngine.INI

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://{URL TO YOU REDIRECTOR SERVER}/[DIRECTORY]/

The Unreal engine probably won't like any other internet protocol other than HTTP

The INI settings (CLIENT):

ROEngine.INI

[Core.System]
StaleCacheDays=30
MaxStaleCacheSize=10
MaxOverallCacheSize=30
PackageSizeSoftLimit=300

Thanks. We can definitely modify the defaults if the demand is there. It looks like these are all stock engine defaults and it's very likely hard drive space was way more limited at the time this was added.

To start with, here is some more detailed information on the settings. Personally, an extra 0 to OverallCacheSize and StaleCacheSize sounds much more reasonable.

• If MaxOverallCacheSize (in MB) is exceeded content older than 30 minutes is deleted until the cache is no longer full.
  • If MaxStaleCacheSize (in MB) in exceeded content older than StaleCacheDays is deleted.
  • PackageSizeSoftLimit has no effect on the cache.

Upvote 0
A common issue of the past was that often redirects only allow say X connections at the same time. When a server changes map suddenly at exactly the same time like 32 instances end up asking for a file from the redirect.

This can often mean that some people time out to the redirect server, in Roost that meant people had to download with 10kB. Due to differences in server and client files this won't happen in HOS and I assume that you just get disconnected from the server.

Even for clients there might be a time out time for trying to connect to a redirect, In the past it seemed that on my redirect servers people far abroad having to take many hops seemed more likely to not get the files off the actual redirect server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We have been able to recreate a symptom where the clients will not download content from a redirector. We are looking into that actively. It should be noted, however, that the redirector DOES work 99% of the time if properly set up.

In regards to what the heck belongs on a redirector server, it's the client content as the client should have it. When a custom mapper makes a map, they will include cooked client content and cooked server content. The cooked client content is what belongs on the redirector server.

NOTE: DO NOT RENAME SERVER CONTENT AND ASSUME THE CLIENT CAN USE IT. THE CLIENT CANNOT USE SERVER CONTENT AS IT'S MISSING THINGS THE CLIENT NEEDS TO RUN BUT THE SERVER DOES NOT.

In the same thought thread as above do not use client content on a server.

The INI settings (SERVER):

ROEngine.INI

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://{URL TO YOU REDIRECTOR SERVER}/[DIRECTORY]/

The Unreal engine probably won't like any other internet protocol other than HTTP

The INI settings (CLIENT):

ROEngine.INI

[Core.System]
StaleCacheDays=30
MaxStaleCacheSize=10
MaxOverallCacheSize=30
PackageSizeSoftLimit=300

Will it be necessary to change these settings on the game server as well?

Upvote 0