• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra: A Retrospective

Ralfst3r

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
The Netherlands
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 is celebrating it's 3rd anniversary, so I thought it would be nice to see what road it has come down to come this far.

Here is the list of Beta's and the major additions (not every addition) each version had. I'm not gonna bother with all the fixes.

I based the dates on when it's been uploaded to Fileshack, so please feel free to correct me or add additions. Maybe a dev can fill in the blanks, see if I missed some major additions or got some dates wrong.

---

August 10, 2003 Red Orchestra Beta 1.0 Released:

October 23, 2003 Red Orchestra Beta 1.1 Released:

- Added VoteKick feature
- The scope system now has 3 settings
- Added bayonet support for the Mosin-Nagant 91/30

October 31, 2003 Red Orchestra Beta 1.1.1 Released:

- Added multi firing sound support to both Mosin-Nagant 91/30 models, this will enhance the sound immersion of the weapons

January 11, 2004 Red Orchestra Beta 1.2 Released:

- Started adding 3rd person weapon animations and more player animations
- New 1st person hand models and hand skins for all weapons
- New first person models for the MP-40, G-43 and PPSH-41
- New weapon sounds for all weapons
- New German player skins

May 21, 2004 Red Orchestra Beta 2.0 Released:

- This version is now for Unreal Tournament 2004
- Machine Gun system has been implemented
- The MG barrel steam has been hooked in. Barrels will steam when they are over 100 deg C. Failure will occur at 200 deg C
- Added MG-34 barrel changing functionality
- Added tracer system for MG's
- Added player weapon selection
- Added a player setup menu that consolidates the unit, role, and weapon selection
- Damage caused by bullets is now partially dependent on the velocity of the bullet in relation to the muzzle velocity
- Implemented dropping of all weapons when dying
- Free Aim Area has been implemented on all guns except for the MG's
- Implemented in-game MG resupply
- Added Norwegian Colt M1914
- Added Russian DP-28 machine gun
- Added German MG-34 machine gun
- The Mauser C96 pistol has been issued to all SS roles

June 6, 2004 Red Orchestra Beta 2.1 Released:

- Added new overhead map feature. Overhead maps now show the player's location and the real location of the objectives
- New Weapon sounds
- Menus for Hosting Game (both dedicated and listen servers)

June 15, 2004 Red Orchestra Beta 2.1.1 Released:

This code-only patch addressed an exploit brought upon by the UT2K4 v3236 patch. There were no additional features aside from that exploit correction.

August 26, 2004 Red Orchestra Beta 3.0 Released:

- New Artillery system
- Added binoculars
- Added Weapon Sway
- Added Panzer IV
- Added T34
- Added Halftrack
- Added Panzerfausts
- Added dropping weapon if hit in the hand
- New player animations
- New animations for all weapons

November 16, 2004 Red Orchestra Beta 3.1 Released:

- New high-detailed model for the first person halftrack MG34 and MG shield
- Added KV1s Russian tank
- Added Panther tank
- Added Zis transport truck
- Added high detail interiors to vehicles
- Added vehicle specific destroyed meshes
- New weapon Russian PTRD, Anti-Tank single shot rifle
- New Tank damage system
- Added new code to detect specific hit points on vehicles
- Added a Tread damage system
- Small arms can now properly damage transports

December 20, 2004 Red Orchestra Beta 3.1 Map Patch Released:

- Several maps update/fixed

April 1, 2005 Red Orchestra Beta 3.2 Released:

- Red Orchestra now has full bot support for infantry maps and functional bot support for all other maps
- Added the MG42
- Added the IS2
- Added a new motion blur effect when explosions happen near you
- Added new and vastly improved prone movement system
- Improved Voice Over IP support
- New grenade damage model based on exposure
- Vastly improved vehicle hit detection. Hit detection for vehicles now uses an ultra precise per-poly method to detect if a shot collided or not
- Added a new system for looping ambient fire sounds for high ROF weapons

July 1, 2005 Red Orchestra Beta 3.3 Released:

- Added player momentum system
- Added directional movement speed system

July 16, 2005 Red Orchestra Summer Offensive Mappack Released

March 14, 2006 Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 Released! (Click here for all the retail version updates)

Last edited:
May 21, 2004 Red Orchestra Beta 2.0 Released:

- This version is now for Unreal Tournament 2004
- Machine Gun system has been implemented
- The MG barrel steam has been hooked in. Barrels will steam when they are over 100 deg C. Failure will occur at 200 deg C
- Added MG-34 barrel changing functionality
- Added tracer system for MG's
- Added player weapon selection
- Added a player setup menu that consolidates the unit, role, and weapon selection
- Damage caused by bullets is now partially dependent on the velocity of the bullet in relation to the muzzle velocity
- Implemented dropping of all weapons when dying
- Free Aim Area has been implemented on all guns except for the MG's
- Implemented in-game MG resupply
- Added Norwegian Colt M1914
- Added Russian DP-28 machine gun
- Added German MG-34 machine gun
- The Mauser C96 pistol has been issued to all SS roles
-Bobdog has been added to the community

Fixed ;)

I know that the overhead maps weren't added until 2.0 (not 1.1 as your post states). I think that was one of the first times that we "ruined RO" :) ("I can't believe you guys added GPS, you killed RO, this game isn't realism anymore").

Ah, I remember the good old days, when you had to actually read the map. There was no fancy arrow; you had to look for landmarks and orient yourself to figure out where to go. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Daaaaamn... hard to believe it's been that long... Certainly hard to believe that it's been three years since the release of the commercial version.

I remember my first round of RO in Beta 1.2 on the Road to Moscow (I think?) map. Single player, as I didn't want to hop into a online server until I knew what the crap I was doing. Sat there as a Russian at the farm waiting 10 minutes for the Germans to attack. It was only when I dared venture out that I realized that the bot AI wasn't good enough at the time to get them to leave their spawn. :p

Then I had to go out and buy UT2K4. Was I ever pissed that I had to pay $50 for a game that I was only getting for ONE mod. I miss a lot of the maps from the mod days though. Anyone remember Sevastopol and (the ultimate nade-fest) Warsaw?

Upvote 0
Hmm trying to remember Road to Moscow. Didn't the original have an extemely basic overhead map, was a challenge in itself to work out where you were. Allies spawn near the fountain and Axis near the bombed out flats and buildings??

Oh yeah the ice skating lol and no leaning; that's when RO got really broke :p

Roads to Moscow was a simple snowy map, as Axis you need to cap some little farm.. then climb a crazy hill to blow up an AT gun (what happened to blowable objectives??) and then cap a small village. The problem with the map was the arty which obliterated the allies when they got to the village cap.
In clan matches, the sappers usually delievered satchels to hheir team by throwing them at spawn and resupplying.

Wait, was it Roads to Moscow or Moscow highway?

Upvote 0
Roads to Moscow was a simple snowy map, as Axis you need to cap some little farm.. then climb a crazy hill to blow up an AT gun (what happened to blowable objectives??) and then cap a small village.

I remember that one, as axis I would try and sneak round the right hand side (lightly wooded) and attack the trench or AT gun :confused:. Was pretty tough going round the right hand side as it was very open with limited cover.

Wasn't there a bullet proof dead cow you could prone behind?

Looks for link to Map Orchestra...

Upvote 0