• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server RCON protocol

To quote John Gibson:
RO2 doesn't use an RCON protocol. It includes a robust custom made web based administration tool called webadmin. This tool can be used from any browser, including the server browser inside the Steam overlay (so admins can administrate their server without even leaving the game). We don't have a lot of documentation up for it yet, but several of the admins in our forums have posted information on how to use it. Here is the forum link:

[URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80"][url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80[/URL][/URL]

Upvote 0
Because its a lot quicker, and you don't have to leave the game to use it.

The admin login from the console must use some kind of rcon I would think, but even that is slow and klunky in comparison to something like B3.

You don't have to leave the game to use the webadmin tool. All you do is press shift-tab, bring up the steam overlay, and enter your webadmin address in the browser. Then just leave it running in the Steam browser any time you want to access it you just press shift-tab. It is then instantly accessible no matter where you are in-game.

There are a lot of in game commands you can do through the console as an admin, but it is just quicker and simpler in most cases to use the webadmin. I understand coming from other games that you are used to having to use third party tools for server administration. But this game already has it's own robust adminning tools build right in.

Upvote 0
I count having to press shift tab to bring up the steam browser as having to leave the game - the difference between typing !k someidiot and having to shift-tab to the browser, then find them on the correct page then selecting them then kicking them is huge when you are also trying to play.

admin kick playernamehere

type that in console when logged in as admin.

Upvote 0
Not only what has been mentioned, but as in B3 (big brother bot) it has a warning system. Our admins can warn a player a set amount then an action can be taken on auto. Default is 3 warnings and it will kick and say why. Everything in or with B3 can be customized accordingly to the team using it.

That is just one of many examples.

I am posting to show my support for allowing more admin ability. I have been using b3 for many years and it is the best admin tool and nothing especially a web based tool will compare.

I can go on and on about this. As said, I am posting on this to show my support on this topic.

Upvote 0
Ok, its nice having webadmin no doubt, but third party allows addons and plugins etc.

Who will be adding things desperately needed like a High Ping Kick to WebAdmin.

Is that the sound of crickets I hear?

You can just make a mutator, you can easily add additional tabs in webadmin with additional stuff if you want to.

Although high ping kick is a bit unnecessary, as the only person troubled by it is the person with high ping himself. As hit detection is server side. And the server is not waiting for packets from him to come before sending stuff out, so it doesn't drag down the server.

Upvote 0
Way to help support the community. I can not believe the answer is "use what we give you"

B3 is a very useful tool that I like to run on all my servers. I can do all the admin from RIGHT IN THE GAME and do not need to Alt-Tab to a web program built into the steam overlay.

I would think you would want to support the community and help the community grow around the game. I am sure I am not the only one who wants to see B3 working with RO2.

Help use make it possible please!
Ski

Upvote 0
Disclaimer, I'm totally new to UE (not to mention UE3) I played RO1 as a pub, and never administered a server, so some of my gripes might be on my end, but having experience with B3 and Source, I've gotta say that the web admin leaves a bit to be desired. Granted, this game does have admin support (which is something that PC gamers have been missing. Brink/Crysis 2. Didn't know that we actually had to request admin anymore!) For that, I'm thankful. But most communities here need something a bit more sophisticated than that. As far as remote console goes, the web admin is great, but for general server administration it is not. I don't want my admins to have to use passwords. I want to be able to set durations for bans. I want my bans to take effect on all of my servers instead of having to manually insert the UNID into each ban list.

I'd like to +3 for B3.

Upvote 0
Agree with your post ski , b3 is a icon in fps admin tools and those that have used it expect it to be adaptable into other games rather than being blocked because of time spent coding a system unique to the game. Respecting the hard work that has went into the design and current admin tools of course but having the option should be acceptable.

I keep checking the b3 forums hoping for some news of advancement on this issue but still nothing. Personally its a pain in the butt to switch browsers and shift Windows to accomplish something that could be done in a few simplified key strokes. Even simpler than the rcon commands . So bumping to keep this alive

Upvote 0
I too would like to see B3 or other third party software. It is really irritating to have to **** tab or alt tab out of the game just to make a change. Granted I use the console to change maps and such, the point being, there should be a third party software. The "use what you are given" isn't a good customer support response. While this doesn't effect my personal view of the game, it does skew my view on the company and future purchases.

Upvote 0