• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ppsh/mp 40 spraying

triple25mm

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2010
Darlington, UK
I think I've found a solution to stop people from doing this. When you are a machine gunner (with a dp-28/mg-34) you run around with the gun barrel pointing downwards, and can only hip fire when you press the aim button. Well, why can't they do this with sub machine guns too?
You would still be able to run around while hip firing (but not sprint), while mg-gunners will only be able to walk while doing this. And, to stop people going into this mode all the time, it should take up a bit more stamina than just letting your gun rest (you are holding it up and keeping it level).
A good button for this would be the "f" button for sub machine gunners. I don't know about riflemen tho, maybe just leave them as they are?

I can understand WHY you're suggesting this--it's because of that feeling you get when you round a corner and find yourself face to face with an SMGer. You miss the first hipshot and go for the bayonet kill, and he misses with the whole first half of his magazine, only to catch you with a burst at the last possible second just as you're about to stab. As you fall to the ground, dead, your last thought is one of indignation: "that n00b just killed me by sheer luck and rate of fire." :mad:

It's an annoying feeling, to be sure, but let's be honest. The submachine gun was INVENTED to spray and pray. Nerfing its close-quarters capabilities would be innacurate. IRL, a bolt-action weilding soldier would have to use every ounce of his wits to have a chance against a submachine gun in close combat. This should and is reflected in the game.

Do not despair, however. RO:O features maps with slightly wacky engagement ranges that often favor SMGs and make bolts awkward to use. ROHOS promises to provide accurately ranged, more rifle-friendly maps that give the bolt-action its true long-range advantages over the SMG. :IS2: And, based on gameplay videos and screenies, it appears that Tripwire is making an honest effort in that regard. As a bolt user, I'm quite comforted by that. There's really no need to force an SMG to press a button to hipfire. If he managed to close to effective range, he deserves to mow you down. Natural selection of the battlefield, baby! :D

Upvote 0
Run-n-gun and hip shooting with an SMG is a perfectly valid tactic. In fact it's THE way to use them. Doing anything to make it less intuitive than it currently is would be really really dumb. Nothing makes me go "WTH is that guy thinking?" more than seeing an SMGer sit back in some corner shooting little inaccurate bursts at enemies 100+ meters away when he should be leading the charge.

Honestly many veteran RO players are so good at hipshooting with bolts that SMGs aren't as effective as maybe they *should* be. (though of course if you miss with your first shot you're toast)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I understand you correctly, it would be a realistic suggestion. Ever try walking/jogging with a shouldered weapon for long periods of time? You'll get tired quickly. In real life most of the time soldiers don't hold their rifle/SMG/shotgun/whatever straight or shouldered. They hold it down.

Would it be a good gameplay addition, or more specifically fit RO2's gameplay style? I am not exactly sure.

Upvote 0
If I understand you correctly, it would be a realistic suggestion. Ever try walking/jogging with a shouldered weapon for long periods of time? You'll get tired quickly. In real life most of the time soldiers don't hold their rifle/SMG/shotgun/whatever straight or shouldered. They hold it down.

Would it be a good gameplay addition, or more specifically fit RO2's gameplay style? I am not exactly sure.

hmmm not sure either but it could work like this.

From gun down mouse2 goes into iron sights, when out of sights the gun held up for a short time before it goes down again. Firing the gun from down auto pulls up and shoots.

Upvote 0

It's a little more complicated then that though, it's true that you woulden't hold your weapon in a ready-to-fire position at all times in the real world, your arms would get tired, but in the real world, how you hold an object is a very automatic process, that you can shift and change on the fly with little to no thought or delay.

Putting it in a game would mean adding a button to press, and that's not quite as automatic a process, if i get jump scared by someone popping around the corner in the real world, it would not be hard or take long to point my gun at him, but in a game, i might fumble wildly to find the button to press..

It's probably best left the way it is, opperating a videogame is far enough removed from the real world allready, so it's probably best to "keep it simple stupid" with things like this which should be easy to in the real world.

Upvote 0
If you don't like it, just try to not get into situations in which you are vulnerable to that kind of attack.

The only time I'll enter a building that isn't full of firendlies, as a rifleman, is with my bayonet at the ready and my finger on the prone key!

If you jump into shark invested water with seal meat tied around your neck, don't be surprised if you get bit.

Upvote 0

So should RO2 model weapon weight balance, muscles and how rested\tired they are + all variables with them as well? It's main key point if we really want to point about you don't keep that stuff all the time.

Let's take PPSh as an example. It's pretty nose heavy weapon with a drum magazine and trying to aim with the sight for extended periods of time becomes very painful. Now with Mosin or Mauser since the weight is far more balanced it's less demanding on your muscles, yet still becomes eventually annoying. However if you keep your weapon braced so you can handle the recoil but you're just pointing the gun in some direction without genuinely aiming down the sights it's also less demanding on your body than proper firing stance while aiming. You can also somewhat jog\run in half-shouldered (for the lack of beter word) state and move relatively fast, especially if you're in halfway decent shape and you could probably hit targets (with an SMG that is, once in a while with a rifle possibly as well) up to 10-20m with some reliable accuracy while moving and spraying. Not marksmanship quality but sufficient enough to probably hit someone and maybe render them combat ineffective, dead on ingame terms.

Since in RO1 stamina had an effect regarding recoil and shooting also drained your stamina I would presume it's the same in RO2, perhaps even bit more punishing if you're halfway exhausted and you plan to just fire away all 70 bullets in single dakka-rage. Unless they add some reasonable way for some kind of semi-shouldered state for beter accuracy at closeish ranges with small malus on your movement speed (which is unlikely considering the game is said to be in beta phase) or something similiar there's not that much to do about it, and even that would probably add an separate key.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BULLsh*t!!! I have the right to fire my gun the way I want to ! I will fire my SMG from hip and will "spray" if I want and there is nothing you can do about it! And when I play other role the enemy SMGer will have the right to spray me too!
Hip firing is nothing UNUSUAL even in 21st century.
Period.

Upvote 0