• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Image] Post Your Photography!

8a8705be.jpg

playing around with b/w conversion. think this is prettyyyyy good (done with a calibrated monitor)

Reactions: Shadrach
Upvote 0
Went to one of the few Civil War Reenactments in Southern California (who knew they did that here?)

Moorpark Civil War Reenactment 43 by Mormegil, on Flickr

"Say 'Hello' to my little friend!"

Moorpark Civil War Reenactment 71 by Mormegil, on Flickr

Moorpark Civil War Reenactment 51 by Mormegil, on Flickr

"Who's next?!"

Moorpark Civil War Reenactment 55 by Mormegil, on Flickr

"Brothers"

Moorpark Civil War Reenactment 21 by Mormegil, on Flickr

Also made an "old timey" type video
Old Film Style Union Soldiers Firing in Line - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am thinking about getting a Digital SLR camera.

I never owned a SLR camera before so I am quite confused with the options and possibilities right now.

Especially choosing the right lens seems difficult. I would need an all-round lens and perhaps a lens with a good zoom too :confused:

I thought about getting something from the middle class, maybe a Nikon D5100 or a Canon EOS 600D. I don't want to get a Sony camera.

I like the idea of geotagging the pictures with the Nikon, I don't know if that is possible with the Canon camera.

Any recommendations?

Upvote 0

I never owned a SLR camera before so I am quite confused with the options and possibilities right now.

Especially choosing the right lens seems difficult. I would need an all-round lens and perhaps a lens with a good zoom too :confused:

I thought about getting something from the middle class, maybe a Nikon D5100 or a Canon EOS 600D. I don't want to get a Sony camera.

I like the idea of geotagging the pictures with the Nikon, I don't know if that is possible with the Canon camera.

Any recommendations?

The main issue I have with the low end Nikons, including the D5100 is the lack of an autofocus motor in the body. That means you don't get autofocus with a number of the Nikon lenses, such as the must have 50 1.8.

Geotagging isn't possible with the EOS 600D, at least not without any add ons.

Good idea to stay away from Sonys, as they don't have the library of lenses and accessories you get with either Nikon or Canon.

Best thing to do is go to a camera store, and pick up and play around with each one. See which one "feels right" in your hand.

Either one you get, get the "kit lens" with it. For the EOS it's the 18-55 3.5-5.6 IS II. Good lens for the money. Also get the relatively cheap 50 1.8, as it's a great low light and portrait lens (no zooming though, fixed focus). For a telephoto zoom, things can get pricey - tell me your budget, and I can give some suggestions.

Personally, I have the EOS 600D (American name Rebel T3i) as my "second body" - but the handy video feature and relative lightness of the camera has me bringing it around more than my sturdier, but dated 1D IIn.

Upvote 0
I could spent 1000€ but I would prefer if would come out with only spending 800€ (camera + lens). I am starting from scratch, I even will need small things like a bag, a sling and maybe a tripod, so I am aware it will get pricey.

And the geotag add on for the Nikon is already 200€ ... :eek:

I thought about waiting for a good offer on the Nikon and then get the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105 mm 1:3,5-5,6G ED VR lens. I heard it is a good allround lens, cheap and I think it has an auto focus motor (your main issue is solved then ;)) Linky

I am going to South Africa next March, and I think I can live with the comprise I have to make with such a versatile lens. Weight will also be an issue. Do you think that is a wise decision to get "a lens that can do it all" or should I get something more conventional.

The there will be some many different motives, landscapes, sight seeing, animal spotting and people. Buying a lens for each occasion is bit too expensive at once.

I definitely will go to a store and check some cameras out.

My father has an old Minolta camera with a wideangle and a standard lens. Someone I know uses old Minolta lenses on a Sony Digital SLR. Is that a good idea, does that even work, or should this even be a reason for me to buy a Sony (*shivers*)?

What do you think of System cameras (the ones without mirrors aka "Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera")?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Any recommendations?

Just remember when you're still fairly new and do this as a hobby one of the main rules of thumb is which camera body you get isn't the most important thing. The more important things are your understanding of framing and exposing properly.

This can be an expensive hobby so work on your understanding of basic photography and 90% of the time glass is more important than what camera body you have.

With that little rant out of the way I think the 5100 or T3i are indeed your best options. If you really want Geotagging of some sort I think one of the cheapest options (and not as cool as in camera) is the GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr Mini DPL900 or something like it. It's kind of an interesting work around but it's cheap[er].

Both cameras with their kit lens will be good starters so it's going to come down to you getting your hands on both of them and holding them to see how they feel in your hand. I would recommend going for the 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 kit just to give you that little bit of extra reach since you're going to South Africa it may come in handy.

Mirrorless Systems are actually becoming quite nice little cameras but I don't need the form factor and don't mind carrying around a bigger DSLR for the added features and benefits of a larger sensor.

Edit*

No stay away from Sony :p

Upvote 0
I thought about waiting for a good offer on the Nikon and then get the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105 mm 1:3,5-5,6G ED VR lens. I heard it is a good allround lens, cheap and I think it has an auto focus motor (your main issue is solved then ;))

I personally am not a fan of "Jack of All Trade" lenses, as they tend to be slow, aperture wise, and optically mediocre. I'm a bit of a special case when it comes to optical quality, because I sell my stuff on stock photo websites, and they're real sticklers for things like chromatic aberration, and focus at 100% magnification. But my back is also killing me when I've got 10 kg of equipment in my back by the end of the day.

If you're going travelling, there's much to be said for being able to travel light. If the main objective is to "enjoy the experience" - by all means bring as little equipment as you can allow yourself to lug. If you're going there to create photographs specifically, bring as much as you can - and keep saying the old photography motto "Pain is temporary, film is forever."

Anyways, the beauty of an SLR is you can always change your mind. Get the kit lens, and if you decide later you want to upgrade the lens, or add on, there's always that option. Remember that good lenses keep their value pretty well. I sold a 2 year old 70-200 4L on E-Bay and took only about a 15% loss. So you can always sell the old lens to help on an upgrade.

So one last thing on the autofocus motor. Sure it's not an issue with THAT particular lens. But if you ever want to get the 50 1.8, you better be OK with manual focus.

Good luck on your photographic journey (figurative and literal).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't recommend this unless you have the funds, you're comfortable with photography already, and know this isn't a hobby you just jump into and then do nothing with.

But Adorama has a 5D Mark II body only deal going for just over $2,000.

As a side note this should just be the Photography Photo and Discussion thread so we can pass on nice deals and tips as well as photos.

http://www.adorama.com/ICA5DM2.html...ate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid64393

worth a looksy.

Upvote 0