• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Playing Dead/Suicide

Already been discussed, to quote myself from the last fake death thread...
Scenario: One player is defending an objective with his team. He has an automatic weapon. All his teammates are killed, so he decides to play dead instead. The enemy team goes by and as soon as they have their backs to him, the player gets up and sprays down 10 people. These 10 people take the idea and use it in other matches they play

Now Fast-Forward about 2 months: Because everyone now uses this technique, players start shooting every 'dead' enemy they see, just in case

Now Fast-Forward another 2 months: Tripwire renames the game from Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad to Red Orchestra: Corpse Shooter

People don't like feeling cheated when they are killed. We accept our deaths when they are due to enemy skill (good aim/good nade usage), tactical errors on our own part (attacking a covered doorway), or even plain bad luck (randomly thrown nades/nadespam). But when a person can kill you with no effort on their part by using such underhanded tricks, it really lessens the experience. And I know that some people will say, "well in real war you do whatever you have to in order to survive", but in real war you also don't respawn. We all know that there are people out there who kill the fun of a game by abusing features that allow them to get easy kills, all for the sake of winning (aka COD noob-tubers). Because to them, the game isn't fun - winning is, and they will ruin everyone elses fun in pursuit of victory.

Reactions: DiedTrying
Upvote 0
Besides, how pissed would you be if you thought you cleared a room to just have one of the people get back up and unload a PPSH on you?

I'd be quite gratified, actually. I love servers in Ostfront without death messages, the ability to feign death would make it even more intense. I love the doubt - never knowing if you really popped someone or if they're just waiting for you to show yourself.

But when a person can kill you with no effort on their part by using such underhanded tricks, it really lessens the experience.

They're called tactics, and more possibilities and techniques are always welcome in a realistic shooter. At least in my book. The brain is the most deadly weapon - war has been all about underhanded tricks since they stopped marching at each other in formations until one side ran out of men.

Last edited:
Reactions: how2skate_com
Upvote 0
You can already kinda play dead on servers without death messages. Course I always shoot my target multiple times to make sure so don't try it against me :D.

But a "dead" animation would just be retarded, no offense. Imagine what it would do to the gameplay, people would just be continually spraying dead bodies lol.

Also, waste of resources. I'd rather get my halftrack, PZIII and T-70 sooner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But a "dead" animation would just be retarded, no offense.
It's not a thespian death-scene. The player just succumbs to rag-doll physics and collapses. Little bit as if it was shot minus the impact and minus the perfect timing.

As for people "spraying bodies". I don't even know what that means. Everyone only has one body, obviously, so the potential for body spraying is pretty limited to begin with. Besides, if we're overly worried about griefers (which isn't even justified in this case, as UT3 proves) there are loads of other features that should be removed as well. The biggest obviously being friendly fire, friendly player and vehicle collision, voice chat, chat...

I can see how the ability to feign death opens up new strategies that you're afraid you won't like in the game and that's fine. Your opinion. I feel the same way about bullets penetrating objects.
But let's not conjure up unrealistic horror scenarios just to make a point.

Also, waste of resources. I'd rather get my halftrack, PZIII and T-70 sooner.
The functionality is already there.

Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
I'd be quite gratified, actually. I love servers in Ostfront without death messages, the ability to feign death would make it even more intense. I love the doubt - never knowing if you really popped someone or if they're just waiting for you to show yourself.

They're called tactics, and more possibilities and techniques are always welcome in a realistic shooter. At least in my book. The brain is the most deadly weapon - war has been all about underhanded tricks since they stopped marching at each other in formations until one side ran out of men.

it was about getting an upper hand even back when the troglodytes were still using sticks and stones.

Upvote 0
I really don't like this idea. As has already been mentioned, You should be able to play dead as is, by staying prone, still, and not returning fire on a server w/o death messages.

One of the reasons I love RO is that I never feel like the game cheats me, every kill or death comes down to skill and or luck. This mechanic could easily ruin that. I don't want to have to buttstroke or shoot every body to ensure that I don't get shot in the back, Especially considering that its a lot harder to tell if a corpse is a corpse in game than IRL.

If this was to be implemented, the person should have to drop all weapons or be lootable and have a recovery penalty of like 15 seconds (once they leave fake death) before they can shoot, so that the mechanic is used for its purpose, to avoid death, not get cheap kills.

Upvote 0
Well if the corpses in the game look really like corpses, it wouldnt even be that hard to see who is playing dead and who is really dead.

*walks into a courtyard and inspects bodies*

missing leg...

missing head....

just a torso....

Freshly pressed battle dress!? :eek: PAPAPAPAPAPPAPAPAAPPAPAPAPAPAPA!

:cool:

Upvote 0