• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Playerbase is getting weaker and weaker...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started actually playing this week. I loved RO-Ost, and so far...I'm underwhelmed. The cover system is cool. The maps are interesting (So far, anyway -- I'm still learning them), but the game lags like crazy. Many servers are trying to run 64 players that really should NOT be trying to.

And I'm NOT a fan of unlocks or rank bonuses. That's a bunch of crap. RO used to be better than that. It's sad to see the game try to compete with the inanity of MW3. If I wanted that, I'd PLAY MW3.

Reactions: LMAOser
Upvote 0
I don't know guys, I already made a couple of posts about this but it seems like the game is close to getting killed, lots still continue to complain and lots are still leaving the game, this is pissing me off this game is cool.

I just came back from the Steam forums and saw a few people just purchased the game, loaded it up and running perfectly fine for them on max settings..... and more importantly, they're loving it:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2189259

I personally don't give two hunks of whale crap what statistics say or even if the player base is dying off.... so long as I have servers to join and players to play against, I'm happy.

Heck, I can still find servers for the UT2k4 mod today with players playing.... and that's been around since 2004.

It won't die off.... there will be some dry spells here and there, but once the games fixed for the greater majority and more content starts to be added, all of this will be a distant memory.

And even if for some freak reason it does (which it won't) I'll still be playing SP and trying to host my own games.

Whether or not others hate or like the game doesn't matter to me.... I enjoy the game, I like it.... and that's all that really matters.

I think many players, who enjoy and like the game, might have burned out on it a bit. I played massively in the beta and lots after release. I still want to play it but have a slight aversion towards the intensity of top-notch-seat-of-you-pants-warfare at the moment. I've felt the need to chill for a while and play lots of slow paced strategy or 3rd person adventure games instead.

Game runs really nice for me and I'd like to level up a bit (stuck at 18 for a while) but I just can't bother to go online. I might be on leave or something.
I think others might be too.
Also longing for new maps :)

That's sort of where I am now.... I've played a lot since the Beta and feeling a little worn out from the limited selection of maps and content.... I'm ready for new stuff to be added in.

Although last night I did get sucked in again for a while and I feel I'll be playing a lot again this weekend.

But in the meantime, I've broken my time with RO2 with Oblivion and decided to get back into good ol GTA Vice City. :cool:

I've bought BFBC2 about three weeks before I pre-ordered RO2/Beta. I haven't played BFBC2 since the Beta release and have no real interest in getting back into it, so it's sitting there collecting digital dust.

^ What does that tell you when I prefer to play Vice City over BC2? lol

I can't speak for anyone else...game runs fine...I enjoy it...the only problem for me is that there is rarely servers with players in them. I'm in Australia..and with how buggy the server list still is...half the servers never show up...I spend 10 minutes pressing refresh, but there are mostly empty servers. It sucks!

That's odd... I'm in Melbourne and in my Ranked TE server list, I have dozens of servers pop up..... 80% of them are high ping and only 5-8 are below 60 ping, but all are full of players.

try looking through here and adding the servers to your list:

Game Tracker
http://www.gametracker.com/search/ro2/AU/

Most of them are empty right now, but since it's in the middle of the work day, that doesn't surprise me.

But look beyond just Aussie servers, try looking for New Zealand, etc. The Pings should be pretty decent still.

I've been rather frustrated that I haven't been able to find servers with a ping below 160 at prime times in the US. It's like the US players have just stopped playing ...

Another possibility for those finding no good ping servers with players is that the good ping servers are all filled up and you have ticked off "No Full Servers" in your filters.... possibly.

Anyone that's going to take this:

BF3: Don't need no damn plane to dogfight - YouTube

over RO2, wouldn't have stayed anyway, regardless of the current performance issues.

Dude, that's just friggin lame, lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Playerbase is now stable , we are about 3200/2500 players everiday ...

Today we only had only about 2500 players but I think it's ok since today Payday was released and a lot of people are playing it now .
The player base is stable but is not specially big if you compare with big hits and classic games ... iIreally expected more players for RO2 , enough to have more people playing than DOD:S that it's in someway the rival game since RO2 and DOD:S are the only active WWII online FPS in Steam ... I really never understand how RO1 did not defeat DOD:S since RO:1 was offering a better gameplay experience and a complete WWII experience covering almos all the fronts using RO1 , DH and Mare Nostrum .

Upvote 0
Playerbase is now stable , we are about 3200/2500 players everiday ...

Today we only had only about 2500 players but I think it's ok since today Payday was released and a lot of people are playing it now .
The player base is stable but is not specially big if you compare with big hits and classic games ... iIreally expected more players for RO2 , enough to have more people playing than DOD:S that it's in someway the rival game since RO2 and DOD:S are the only active WWII online FPS in Steam ... I really never understand how RO1 did not defeat DOD:S since RO:1 was offering a better gameplay experience and a complete WWII experience covering almos all the fronts using RO1 , DH and Mare Nostrum .

Three words: Lack-of-Marketing.

The Mod has Epic / Unreal forums, reviews and their entire community to keep RO:CA popular and in the sights of most players who played UT, which was very popular back in the day..... when RO1 came out, I was disappointed to see that the level of marketing for RO1 was basically non-existant except for these forums and the odd special pop up in Steam.

Meanwhile, DoD:Source had Valve backing them up, as well as having a huge tie with Half-Life (the original Mod for HL that is)

I enjoyed the original mod and was playing it up until a few months ago. I bought DoD:S and honestly was disappointed that they never really evolved the game beyond what it already was. Small maps, basically the same physics, game modes and such but with better graphics.....

Yet it had a bigger marketing blitz over the years than RO1 ever did.

RO2 had a better marketing blitz than RO1 did, but I feel it still needs more done in regards to marketing.

It's really crappy when there's a very awsome game out there that many would enjoy, but you never hear about it or is never mentioned in the normal mediums that people look to for their gaming.

It has great reviews in most gaming sites, which is certainly a good thing, but time will tell.

Upvote 0
Has it been five days already? That seems to be the average between these "this game is dying" threads that have cropped up for every multiplayer game from TWI.

Seriously? Heck that might be the average of the author of this thread in starting these types of threads....but they are more frequent than that if you include all authors...

PS The good news is they do seem to be lessening in frequency. Hallelujah.

Upvote 0
As far as I can tell

the only thing that will keep this alive is the fact TWI allowed mod support and an SDK.

Even in Ro1 - Darkest Hour was such a much needed addition/improvement to the already good gameplay.

Anyways,
I've been playing Company of Heroes... waiting to get on Battlefield 3 (which no longer has an evil EULA!)

Upvote 0
I don't know guys, I already made a couple of posts about this but it seems like the game is close to getting killed, lots still continue to complain and lots are still leaving the game, this is pissing me off this game is cool.

ROFL!!

All you do is make posts about it. If you're worried go and play something else and stop spamming your doom and gloom. That goes for all of you who do nothing but repeat yourselves daily.

Reactions: Nimsky
Upvote 0
I've hardly touched the game in the past week or two.

It's the pings and the non-existent west coast fan base. But mostly the pings.

It's been the same problem since day one: my choice is either a 64 player slideshow on a British server, or if I want a smooth game with a good ping I can fondle my balls with 4 other lonely people on Fallen Fighters on an LA server.

I have to be honest that I'm thinking about getting Space Marine, and when I do...

*edit*

Actually it's more than that.

The artificially broken balance (brought on by German fantasy weapons and unlocks, exagerrated differences between the tanks, PPSh standard equipment shoved away in the progression system etc.) still frustrates me.

90% of players are still clueless even over a month after release. People camp when they should assault, people assault when they should defend. Players still can't tell the difference between field gray and brownish-yellow on sunny maps.

The maps are getting old quickly along with the TE mode itself because of the stupid lockdown timer.

Stutter continues to be an issue thanks to the questionable decision to put all audio processing on the CPU.

There's more but they're all dead horses at this point.

This game simply lacks the X factor that makes a multiplayer FPS game last in people's hearts and minds. I don't think the game will be totally dead in a month, but it will probably reach the "3 active servers in the world" point a lot faster than RO1 did.

I certainly don't see myself looking back on this game nostalgically in 2016, even though I do think it's good in spite of everything. It's like Bad Company 2. Its good but it's not great.

RO:Ost : BF2 :: RO2 : BFBC2

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For me it looks like the number of players is stable. It's around 2300-2500 at the peak and 500-700 at the depression. The game was never as popular as Battlefield or Total War series either so lower number of players is not suprising. On official CA forums (Shogun 2) I saw a lot of threads saying "this game is dead" and right now I see it on 14th place from all Steam titles. Not bad if you ask me. Not dead for sure. I expect the same here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have to be honest that I'm thinking about getting Space Marine, and when I do...

Repetitive, boring 3rd-person killing of waves cookie-cutter identi-Orks(tm). Poor showing from Chaos Marines. Loses steam in several places and you may as well be playing in your sleep. Does a good artistic job of representing the franchise though, as most Relic games do. Not worth a full-price purchase, unless you somehow rate 3rd-person hack fests above... well, playing minesweeper or something :)

There you go, no need to hand over that money now, Comrade!

Upvote 0
Repetitive, boring 3rd-person killing of waves cookie-cutter identi-Orks(tm). Poor showing from Chaos Marines. Loses steam in several places and you may as well be playing in your sleep. Does a good artistic job of representing the franchise though, as most Relic games do. Not worth a full-price purchase, unless you somehow rate 3rd-person hack fests above... well, playing minesweeper or something :)

There you go, no need to hand over that money now, Comrade!

I have no intention of going anywhere near singleplayer.

Upvote 0
Any Eve Online players here? You all know the drill, doomsayers have been trying to kill that ever growing game since 2003, newbies who got into the game thinking it would be Freelancer Online complain about how crappy it is.

The solution? Ignore them and leave them to die miserably over and over again until they realise they were not meant to play this game anyhow, no change would ever make them stay longer than they already did. Have no shame in killing them without mercy and shocking them into leaving, if they can't pick themselves up after an utter defeat they are not cut out for this life of piracy and greed.

Reactions: Nimsky
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.