• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pipehat Poll

Pipehat Poll

• No, it's too damn silly and fun to get rid of.

Votes: 29 50.0%
  • No, as it does not give any extra advantage to the pipehat users.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • No, anyone who says "yes" has clearly never pipehatted before.

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Yes, I have had fun once and it was awful.

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters

C_Gibby

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Considering the discussions about this topic, it should be made a poll.

Is pipehatting an exploit?

I say no, as going pipehat for the whole team can be extremely expensive and death will be completely inevitable. Not to mention, pipe-stacking is not a valid strategy anymore. I have never seen anyone beat a HOE patty with pipehats. Don't forget you have to run towards the rocket/bullet-flinging patty and when you do so, you have to hope he won't melee you several feet away.

It presents no more advantage to the players than stacking pipes around the map. Pipes that the patty will inevitably walk over and die on, anyway.

I believe that removing the pipehatting will damage the game. Yes, it's an unintended bug, but it is one that is unique, hilarious, and presents 0 extra advantage to the team.

You could argue "O Gibby, intelligent, sophisticated, kind, and handsome ruler of the KF subforum, the pipehat kills zeds, therefore it is an exploit." That is frankly a stupid argument. Following that logic, we should remove the pipes themselves, as well as all the guns.

I could simply add that learning the right angle to pipehat yourself is as hard as learning the CLEARLY UNINTENDED* chinshot HSG trick on the scrake.

*double penetration.

Indeed, I think double penetration is wrong and should not be in the game.

It's a commonly used move that makes the support way too good at what he does and makes scrakes far more submissive and easy than they should be.

Upvote 0
The Pipehat is no more an effective exploit than piling 30 pipe bombs in one spot as they're virtually the same tactic, although the former involves an intentional suicide. The diminishing damage of additional pipe bombs makes sure it's not going to one shot the Patriarch.

However, the real problem with the Pipehat is that it typically involves one Demo on your team spending hundreds and thousands on dozens of pipe bombs, wasting time trying to find that perfect angle to stick them on their head, trying to sit in a lone corner hoping no stray specimen sets them all off, and generally being as minimally useful as possible. Aside from maybe protecting the guy for so many rounds, there isn't much teamwork here. You just have one guy weighing down your whole team performing a "hilarious" tactic. That money could easily be better used by sharing it with the team so they can, you know, buy things and have fun playing the game instead of sitting around with no weapons and no ammo while some dick tries to place the 15th pipe on his head.

I've seen teams get wiped due to a useless Pipehatting Demo's hoarding of cash, and even if they don't get wiped, there's a good chance the Pipehat strategy will fail long before the Patriarch due to an errant Husk fireball or group of Crawlers or such, similarly wasting hundreds of not thousands of dosh in the process. And even if the Pipehat succeeds, what's the amazing outcome? He runs into the Patriarch and explodes. Or he gets killed in the kamikaze charge. Absolutely hilarious, right?

Nowadays, Pipehats are about as funny as people spamming "Need a dispenser here!" in TF2, which is to say, it's lost what little amusement factor it had years ago. It may not be an exploit, but unless you're playing with a group of friends, it's not funny and most certainly a detrimental tactic that hurts the team both gameplay and enjoyment-wise. There are higher priorities to take care of first, but Killing Floor would definitely be better off without the Pipehat.

Upvote 0
The Pipehat is no more an effective exploit than piling 30 pipe bombs in one spot as they're virtually the same tactic, although the former involves an intentional suicide. The diminishing damage of additional pipe bombs makes sure it's not going to one shot the Patriarch.

However, the real problem with the Pipehat is that it typically involves one Demo on your team spending hundreds and thousands on dozens of pipe bombs, wasting time trying to find that perfect angle to stick them on their head, trying to sit in a lone corner hoping no stray specimen sets them all off, and generally being as minimally useful as possible. Aside from maybe protecting the guy for so many rounds, there isn't much teamwork here. You just have one guy weighing down your whole team performing a "hilarious" tactic. That money could easily be better used by sharing it with the team so they can, you know, buy things and have fun playing the game instead of sitting around with no weapons and no ammo while some dick tries to place the 15th pipe on his head.

I've seen teams get wiped due to a useless Pipehatting Demo's hoarding of cash, and even if they don't get wiped, there's a good chance the Pipehat strategy will fail long before the Patriarch due to an errant Husk fireball or group of Crawlers or such, similarly wasting hundreds of not thousands of dosh in the process. And even if the Pipehat succeeds, what's the amazing outcome? He runs into the Patriarch and explodes. Or he gets killed in the kamikaze charge. Absolutely hilarious, right?

Nowadays, Pipehats are about as funny as people spamming "Need a dispenser here!" in TF2, which is to say, it's lost what little amusement factor it had years ago. It may not be an exploit, but unless you're playing with a group of friends, it's not funny and most certainly a detrimental tactic that hurts the team both gameplay and enjoyment-wise. There are higher priorities to take care of first, but Killing Floor would definitely be better off without the Pipehat.

People actually use it as if it were a valid tactic?

wat

Upvote 0
I didn't say people used as if it was a valid tactic. I said real comedian types like to join random pub games and attempt to perform a Pipehat with the sad hope of eliciting "XD"s and "EPIC"s and other dumb memes from their teammates when in reality they're being about as useful as an AFK player or a level 0 in Hell On Earth.

Upvote 0
All this pipe bomb hat talk and no one has mentioned you can pipe bomb someone ELSES head with some help and clever use of the anti block mutator negating the threat of having to suicide to use a pipe hat...

I can't be the only one who knows about it. Wait am I even allowed to post this info? This is such a grey area. :confused:

Upvote 0
I'm between the first two poll options. I really don't see it as much an exploit. You can easily instead of wasting time during the waves as a demo hiding in the corner with PB's on your head trying to collect money and be a team hindrance, play as a firebug / berserker to gain money far more efficiently the entire game and Then spend on pipes afterwards during final trader time like I usually would.

Its just too much humorous fun that's pretty much become an in game joke / meme that'd be disappointing to see go. Once PB's go you don't have much actual vanilla based content stuff to actually do to spice the game up aside from playing the game seriously 100% of the time. PB hats make a good 25 - 40 % of my fun in KF which makes the game more entertaining for myself. After you make the game entirely vanilla because of a small group of people disliking it and wanting it gone versus a great number of people who enjoy it by taking it away that kinda just really is a kill joy.

Slappy Cromwell said:
I didn't say people used as if it was a valid tactic. I said real comedian types like to join random pub games and attempt to perform a Pipehat with the sad hope of eliciting "XD"s and "EPIC"s and other dumb memes from their teammates when in reality they're being about as useful as an AFK player or a level 0 in Hell On Earth.

Then you must be playing on the wrong servers and met the wrong PB Hatters because I've never once seen a useless or failed PB hat like you seem to describe them as.

Upvote 0

I'm not too sure about this but from my experience pipe hats/ walls aren't really feasible in pub games. Not more than one wave's worth (8) anyway. I play Hell on Earth (where money is supposedly hard to come by) and if teammates funnel me extra cash *after* they've bought their loadouts I could maybe do 80-90 pipes (8 bomb max carry x11 waves). Maybe more depending on the map, the trader locations we're given, whether or not the last specimen survives until everyone is at the Trader. Unless the team gets overrun due to tough spawns, those pipes are likely to survive. If not, they're a very, very expensive panic button. >_> Without the team funneling that money, let's say it's a closer to 20 pipes, maybe a 30 max.

And yes, it actually is really funny if you get the Patriarch kill by kamikaze charging. :D Or die to crawlers spawning in a vent right above your head. But for pub games, if you don't give the demo money, they can't finance a ridiculous number on their own. The other perks can and should be earning more than/ an amount equal to the Demo each wave. So if the pub Demo has all the money through kills, something is horribly wrong to begin with. ;)

Upvote 0
They're two seperate questions.

1) Is pipehatting an exploit.
2) Should it be removed.

The answer to both questions isn't necessarily the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_%28video_gaming%29 said:
An exploit, in video games, is the use of a bug or design flaw including glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_(video_gaming)#cite_note-DOG_03.2C_474-0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_(video_gaming)#cite_note-DOG_03.2C_474-0
It is not always detrimental, therefore sometimes it must be advantageous to do, and I find it hard to believe that TWI sat down and said "Hey, lets allow players to turn into suicide bombs" therefore it's an exploit.

But no, it doesn't offer a big advantage, and it's funny as hell, so I think it should stay in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_(video_gaming)#cite_note-DOG_03.2C_474-0

Upvote 0
This thread was confusing!

So, OP-crusaders now suddenly claim a pipehat is no exploit?

You seem to forget that the advantage is being able to carry around and protect pipes that otherwise could have been blown up by unwanted zeds.

I wish i could place a pipe on the ground and let it then be know to all zeds, that my pipes are only intended for FP or Patty to walk upon.

Sure it is an exploit!

If not, then i want back the basedamage of SCAR before nerf!

This would not be unfair considering the introduction of M99 anyway!

Commando was my favorite perk before SCAR was nerfed!

Upvote 0
This thread was confusing!

So, OP-crusaders now suddenly claim a pipehat is no exploit?

You seem to forget that the advantage is being able to carry around and protect pipes that otherwise could have been blown up by unwanted zeds.

I wish i could place a pipe on the ground and let it then be know to all zeds, that my pipes are only intended for FP or Patty to walk upon.

Sure it is an exploit!

If not, then i want back the basedamage of SCAR before nerf!

This would not be unfair considering the introduction of M99 anyway!

Commando was my favorite perk before SCAR was nerfed!

oh god that guy is so dumb

Upvote 0
agree immensely with the two posts above mine.

as for pipehats, they should definitely stay in the game, anyone claiming they hold a large advantage over stacked pipes on the ground have obviously never used them much, as Patty much more frequently "one in the pipe"s the user much more often than not, not to mention the high risk of specimens spawning on top of the user or surrounding him/her when he is lying in wait for a good opportunity to strike.

Upvote 0