• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

People are just itchin to get back to RO2

The FOV and lack of zoom in RO1 made a man-sized target all but disappear completely at 150 meters. Anyone with eyesight that bad would have to get vision correction before they'd be issued a driver's license, because they'd be unable to read road signs. It might have worked if the game was modeling warfare in 1742 rather than 1942...

Actually back in WWI and WWII, poor eyesight was a great way in avoiding the draft. ;)

Upvote 0
If WWII was fought by nearsighted, overweight, out of shape, alcoholics, then yes, it was very authentic.

Otherwise, it was just harder and less accessible.

would you PLEASE QUIT it with the strawmen?

How about the more accurate riflemen count? hmm, or the non proliferation of pistols everywhere? hmm, or extremely rare items from airplanes like the mg34 double drum?

At least Ost could take itself seriously. He said authenticity, not movement or controls, get your strawman and beat him up elsewhere.

Reactions: Dietl
Upvote 0
If WWII was fought by nearsighted, overweight, out of shape, alcoholics, then yes, it was very authentic. Otherwise, it was just harder and less accessible.

he_mad10.jpg

Upvote 0
would you PLEASE QUIT it with the strawmen?

How about the more accurate riflemen count? hmm, or the non proliferation of pistols everywhere? hmm, or extremely rare items from airplanes like the mg34 double drum?

At least Ost could take itself seriously. He said authenticity, not movement or controls, get your strawman and beat him up elsewhere.

Authenticity comes in both the things you say, as well as his.

And I agree with both of you.

But to be honest, I think that RO2 is not gritty enough, and I'm not completely sure why. I guess I kind of miss proper weather effects in Red Orchestra. Not really sure if it would be realistic, but for example Fallen Fighters could have the occasional snow winds that obscure vision instead of this odd looking fog.
Station could have rain and thunder instead of weird dark looking clouds.
Barracks should be much darker, it's a night level but it plays like it's daytime.
Grain Elevator/Spartanovka are amazing though.

Breath on cold maps should be visible, and camping on the spot for too long should give soldiers shivers causing the occasional trembling.

That's what I think would make it nice and authentic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nazarov
Upvote 0
My squad is playing "Invasion 44" at the moment... and every comment is "so better then RO2".

Starting the fight at 500m is great, last so many minutes, followed by the flanking maneuvres. MGs are amazing... btw we are firing them at short burst to save ammo, not because of the recoil. You can rest your weapon over other player's shoulders (so much underbrush you often can't fire prone) and with TrackIr and the ACRE Mod (TS3 plugin) you think you're on the battlefield and you have to fight as a team (because if you are too distant your teammates can't hear your voice). It would be better only with more players.

Still RO2 is installed but I don't think I'll play it anymore (until Mods).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyper
Upvote 0
My squad is playing "Invasion 44" at the moment... and every comment is "so better then RO2".

Starting the fight at 500m is great, last so many minutes, followed by the flanking maneuvres. MGs are amazing... btw we are firing them at short burst to save ammo, not because of the recoil. You can rest your weapon over other player's shoulders (so much underbrush you often can't fire prone) and with TrackIr and the ACRE Mod (TS3 plugin) you think you're on the battlefield and you have to fight as a team (because if you are too distant your teammates can't hear your voice). It would be better only with more players.

If you're looking for solid teamplay, ARMA based titles will always be better than Red Orchestra 2. The whole game is built around that. ARMA 2 on pubs that don't use teamplay alot, it is a lot of waiting and doing nothing before you may get to shoot 1 or 2 bullets into the direction of the enemy.
The gameplay doesn't sustain itself in ARMA, while in RO2 it does.

You shouldn't just compare the game, Invasion 44 is a mod and Red Orchestra 2 hasn't even had the chance to implement any mods yet. As a result of that, the gameplay demands of the community are not met as much as in ARMA. Because ARMA without mods is also one big mess.

Reactions: Nazarov
Upvote 0
The FOV and lack of zoom in RO1 made a man-sized target all but disappear completely at 150 meters. Anyone with eyesight that bad would have to get vision correction before they'd be issued a driver's license, because they'd be unable to read road signs. It might have worked if the game was modeling warfare in 1742 rather than 1942...

Line up, shoot, miss, spend 30 seconds reloading, shoot, miss, get shot by random stray bullet. Yes you totally would.

Hell yeah, now we're talkin.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/48720/

Wish granted.

Don't get it, it's a crap game, especially compared to Warband, which is a million times better, but it certainly captures the drama of spending 15-30 seconds reloading only to get winged by a stray shot.

Upvote 0

GS.Manu,

Could you please tell me what game is required to play this Invasion 44? Other than RO1 and DH, I would like to get into another game that is more realistic than this joke of a new game (RO2).

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Which version of Arma 2 do you need seems to be a plethora on the steam pages.. Im also about ready to ditch RO2 for a while, for me its just getting to un immersive as its just becoming 5 min TF2 style games now if your lucky - I dont know if thats a problem with the size of the maps or the super sprinting but I play one game for 5mins then hit f10. Sometimes you do get a great game and then it works, but its becoming rarer and rarer..

Upvote 0
Pay attention: Invasion 44 is Mod for "Arma 2: Combined Operations" that's Arma2 + Arma2: Operation Arrowhead. It does not work with Arma2 OR Arma2:OA.

I agree with Icey_Pain: Arma2 can be fun if played with known teammates, in TS. It's not a game for guys who want to fight in their happy hour.

You need to schedule the matches.

TrackIr and ACRE are amazing, the game is not so fluid as RO2, sadly netcode is a problem for some.

After RO1 and above all Darkest Hour I was expecting RO2 to be something better than this... :-(

Invasion 44 - Colleville Sur Mer Attack - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0