• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pavlov was a man, not a woman....

Nezzer
Why Pavlovoy if it's genitive form and not instrumental? Genitive form for feminine words is usually "bl".
"Ы" this is for the plural.
Mr. Pavlov and Mrs. Pavlova, together they Pavlov(ы), house - дом(dom), houses - дома(doma). :D
And yes, Pavlov(oy) is instrumental form.

VossRG
"Dom" is masculine.
its true.

"The Russian Nominative is the basic form that you will find in dictionaries for nouns. The nominative case is used for the subject of the sentence. It’s the basic case and also the easiest, the only changes required are for the plural (add the letters “и”, “ы”, “я” or “а”)."

Guys, I do not have enough of my knowledge of English to explain a little bit. You get stuck even more. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This thread is getting boring with all this language and letter nonsense...so...

1329831768730.jpg

Upvote 0
Nezzer
"Ы" this is for the plural.
Mr. Pavlov and Mrs. Pavlova, together they Pavlov(ы), house - дом(dom), houses - дома(doma). :D
And yes, Pavlov(oy) is instrumental form.

VossRG
its true.

"The Russian Nominative is the basic form that you will find in dictionaries for nouns. The nominative case is used for the subject of the sentence. It

Upvote 0
Surnames sort of declenate like adjectives, precisely because they have to be gender-flexible.

Pavlovoy looks like it would describe a feminine noun in the genitive, but in this case it's describing a masculine noun (in the nominative), and its femininity is purely a reflection of the possessor. If you look at a declenation chart for Pavel, the given name from which the surname is derived, you'll notice it has no gender columns, just a singular and plural, because its gender is fixed.

So in essence, Dom Pavlova expresses two genitive ideas in one. It is the "house of the descendant of Pavel," and we can make that descendant female if we want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldih
Upvote 0
Nezzer
So Pavlovoy would be right if we are sayign the house belongs to the Pavlov family, right?
If we talk about Pavlov family it would be correct to say: Dom Pavlovykh ( дом Павловых)

If, for instance, we meant "Nina Pavlova's house" it would be Dom Pavlovy, wouldn't it?
You find it funny, but if we meant Nina, it will be:"Dom Niny Pavlovoy (Дом Нины Павловой)"

And dont ask me why! Im feel like im was trolled. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nezzer
If we talk about Pavlov family it would be correct to say: Dom Pavlovykh ( дом Павловых)

You find it funny, but if we meant Nina, it will be:"Dom Niny Pavlovoy (Дом Нины Павловой)"

And dont ask me why! Im feel like im was trolled. :D
Ok, I get it, thanks. My Russian is really rusty. I haven't studied Russian in a long time and I forgot many things about it. Kinda used you for a Russian teacher to clear up some things I've forgotten, if you didn't mind :D

Upvote 0
Comrade Ivan said 'Za Stalina'.

Send Comrade Ivan straight to the Gulag!

Iosif Dzhugashvili is glorious Man of Steel, not lady boy!

either you are really witty trolling after you learned something about russian grammar or you knew it before or you didnt even read anything that was said after the first post. but nice try anyway, have some :IS2: :IS2: :IS2:

Upvote 0