• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Options for server Admins in future patches

Have to ask.....Will there be any server optimization included in the new patch?

There haven't been any server CPU optimizations made for this patch. We're still looking at this, but so far haven't found any areas where we can optimize more. Essentially, when we started out with the mod, you could only run servers with about 24 players on the a very high end server (3GHZ, 1 Gig Ram, etc). For Ostfront, we made a ton of optimizations to get that up to 32 players on the same server. Since we already optimized it by 30% since we started, its been very tough to find anywhere else to optimize, but we will keep looking into it.

There has been some work done however on the Linux server software that should potentially fix some of the crashing issues that admins are experiencing. We'll be monitoring the logs we get when Linux servers crash closely to see if the fixes work out like we think they will.

Upvote 0
There haven't been any server CPU optimizations made for this patch. We're still looking at this, but so far haven't found any areas where we can optimize more. Essentially, when we started out with the mod, you could only run servers with about 24 players on the a very high end server (3GHZ, 1 Gig Ram, etc). For Ostfront, we made a ton of optimizations to get that up to 32 players on the same server. Since we already optimized it by 30% since we started, its been very tough to find anywhere else to optimize, but we will keep looking into it.

There has been some work done however on the Linux server software that should potentially fix some of the crashing issues that admins are experiencing. We'll be monitoring the logs we get when Linux servers crash closely to see if the fixes work out like we think they will.

In the mod we could run a 32 player server with a higher tickrate fine enough on tank maps filled with 32 players. that was on a Intel xeon 3.06 (only since the release of 3369 though).
(maybe you ever played on the core 32 players server in the mod, cia/cor was always filled in the usa and core32 in europe maybe that makes you remember it :p)

Now on default tickrate with 32 players on a tank map on thesame server you'll be lucky to have a ping under 100.

But maybe this had somethign to do with that linux is less tickrate stable than windows and we use windows for ostfront. But atleast the pings are alot higher nowadays.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is there any chance the following will be included into a future server release.

1) An option to run in-game messages as per the serverads mutator but this would be included into the server web admin page instaed of another page as in the serverads mut.

2) An option to set reserved slots on a server.
This is very handy for Clan run servers as it would leave open slots for Clan members.

3) An option to include a Clan logo into your MOTD

4) An option to customise your admin web pages to suite your clan.

5) A full match play mode option that would allow admins to quickly and effectivly switch the server to match play for Clan games.
There are mutators out there but why not have a standard version inbuilt into the server?

6) An option to have an auto balance that swaps players in-game rather than when they join...this would sort the problem of constant uneven teams.

7) An option to implement server stats.

I have posted these before but have yet to hear anything as to if these requests would or could be considered for implentation in a future server release?

Upvote 0
One option I would definitely love to see is map-based max players settings.

I'm a server admin, running "fast" server on linux box. Before the Booster Pack + lagpatch we could run 30-player Arad fine. Currently, we're experiencing lag on that same map at about 26-28 players. Based on my observations, "lagpatch" didn't completely fix what it was supposed to fix.

On Infantry/CA maps we have absolutely no problems, game runs really smoothly with full 32 players. It's just a shame that we can't actually play tank maps on the best hours, even though most players want to play them as well.

If we could set maxplayers to 24 for tank maps, and keep the 32 for Infantry/CA, server would run smoothly in every map with just one difference; few players less cruising around with tanks. That would both improve gaming experience and stop the complaints about server being laggy.

And I'm sure this option would be welcomed on a lot of servers...

---
Some observations about server load;

32 players, Stalingradkessel, cpu load 45-55%
32 players, Konigsplatz, cpu load 60-70%
26 players, Arad, cpu load 100% - getting first lag spikes.
(30 players, Arad, cpu load 100% - unplayable)

It would still have room for some fixes, don't you think so too?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My personal wish list:

Afcourse the linux fixes so we can move back to it :p
3369 patch might not be a mircacle patch, but still the mod server with 3369 on tank maps was less taxing than the current Ostront (might be because of the change to windows though :p). the 3369 patch allowed our server to go from 28 slots to 32 slots and upp the tickrate next to that.

The ability to put off spectate on self once someone dies.
The ability to change gameplay on maps on a per map basis. Like reinforcement time, reinforcements, possibility for reinforcements per player per class per map instead of per team .

Some official admin tournament mutator + ability to save server settings (if possible including tickrate). So you can load a server setup for a match with the touch of a button.

A forgive system for tking. + next to a sessionban something like day ban or multiple sessions ban.

A bit of a change in the online ready up mutator, readying up by pressing a button. Ability to ready up again after a round end so people can change side (if this could happen automatically it would be even better :D). And some warmup time where you can just mess around teamkill and stuff till everybody is ready or the set warmuptime goes past.

The ability to automatically swap teams to the other side so everybody plays both the axis and allied side. If possible with a stopwatch/beat the clock mode. (1 team attacks first witht he default map time, if they win that the total time it took is recorded and everybody changes side where the now different attacking team has to win the attacking round faster than the previous team. (this system is used by alot of games with non mirrored maps where 1 team defends and 1 team attacks a map is never 100% balanced a time system like this will let the better team always win).

THe ability for serveradmins to customize map loadout of weaponry, this could be used for special nights like bolt only, bayonet only etc. But aswell for some special new player servers where all weapons are unlimited for a moment so new players can test everything out).

If possible a system that shows behind someone's name howmany games out of somany he has won on the server (nothing with points or kills just howmany games they won) As battlefield 2 and Americas army points out people are point/rank whores. IF a rank system is based solely on games won and not on kills made or objectives capped or k/d ratio. Maybe the point whores will now start woring wins, and you can't get there alone so they might try to push the team itself more. (afcourse a system like this would need to be worked out a bit more, because otherwise people would always join the easier side, automatic team changing would fix this issue though).

Maybe a system where instead of score a win loss ratio is showed on the servers, and a seperate official stats page somewhere else. (where you can compare clans and players with things like kill death ratio and cap ratio, but the main ranking system based on win/loss ratio of maps where you played on both sides.

and most of all. Ability to keep a player log of the server that lasts for a set amount of time (like the cache folder) where things like Playername, hashid and amount of kills and mostly AMOUNT of Teamkills gets saved.
And the ability to see Teamkills in the webadmin instead of just score kills and suicide amounts.

Agreed. (Sooo much easyier when alike minded person does it for you lol.)

Upvote 0
i'd really love some option for assault like in ut2k4 Probably the xth time i post it :p

Example an map where the Allies defend a stronghold against the Axis

First the Axis attack and win the map within the maplimit of 30 mins and beat it in 22 minutes.

Then the teams swap the Allies become the Axis and the Axis become the allies, and now the Allies that Swapped to the Axis have got to beat the previous team's time of 22 minutes.

This is alot of fun and will make sure maps will be equal even if its highly unbalanced.

Ut uses it in assault, RTCW/ET use it (stopwatch mode), and alot of other objective based games use it. I know ro wants to be different but its a system that will make all maps balanced with any kind of players. Some maps get beat easier with a few people that with a few people etc. This fixes those problems.

Upvote 0
i would be pleased if i could have working say chat logs, and some mutators fully implemented like ServerExt ChatFilter

in general, dev team should do something to avoid below message caused if you enable stats required by some mutators, even local, and if you press yes, you got no option in menu to set up those settings - of course this means the mutator is useless and must be disabled.

Upvote 0
This thread has been around for some time now and whilst I do applaud TW's support for the game with bug fixes and new content I would still like to see more being done to support all the servers and RO Admins out there with more being made available from this great list.
I know TW can't implement everything but there are some great ideas here many of which would make our lives that little bit easier when Administrating RO servers.

Please Dev's take a good look at this list and see if you can use our input to expand the serverside content to improve our lot just little?

Upvote 0
i would be pleased if i could have working say chat logs, and some mutators fully implemented like ServerExt ChatFilter

in general, dev team should do something to avoid below message caused if you enable stats required by some mutators, even local, and if you press yes, you got no option in menu to set up those settings - of course this means the mutator is useless and must be disabled.

There is no master stats server so putting that on your server is a waiste of time... for now. We just need to hope that sepherioth finds some time to make a new stat program or maybe the devs (the devs hated the old stats though so small chance). There are some stat sites but they list points of players. Not the important info like K/D ratio and Frags/Minute :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i'm aware of that, especially that stats would have to be modified for specfied points calculation. Actually i'm not eager to add stats at all, but as i have said, they provide some logging useful for some mutators (chat log) but if the stats are not even implemented completely, then no need to even start it, cause it is just pain in the ass so no wonder for now devs would say do it yourself. Well maybe they can implement stats 0 i hope in at least in the minimal form just to extend some basic admin mangement with server.

another ting, you really do not nieed to quote my message if it is so large :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
future patch
- should have modified the webadmin access cotrol - the administration flag about Game Settings is to powerful/wide, should be split to more specific acess policies, so the admin rights could be specified in a more detailed way - like i would ike to allow admin to change server password without the ability to change server slots, etc.

- more detailed admin actions in logs - extended with the date timestamp
any commands that are used by admins should be logged

- webadmin shoudl have logging of who has logged in at what time and what commands performed/changes introduced

i got issue with abusive admin and there were really poor trails of his deeds on server :/

- server log flush after buffer fill , like 4kb, or at least map change or time based fluch like 30s

Upvote 0