Noticed a 40 Player Server

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Von Chuffy

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 1, 2006
Bristol, UK
I played a few rounds and it was awesome!

Maps like Odessa and Danzig didn't feel too crowded at all, the extra 4 players per side really helped the 'feel' of the game IMHO. If being crowded in Odessa means I'm not attacking/defending Group Headquarters on my own and actually have a teammate or two with me then God, add even more players!

Arad was pretty bad however. Aside from the fact that Arad is a bad map any way the small number of tanks and small number of engineer/anti-tank slots really cripple it with 40 players.

Too bad the server doesn't play Berezina...HINT HINT.

Tomcat_ha

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
what i want is a smart server.

basically it would change the slots from map to map
this way you can have small and large battles
only the fastest computers win

blitze

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 23, 2005
I hear the server is a 386 running DOS 6.2 :D

Would probably be a monster running a Linux backend.

Nestor Makhno

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 25, 2006
Penryn, Cornwall
I played on it and, despite 100-150 ping, it was not too sluggish with 40 playing Da Kessel.

In fact, it actually added a whole new dimension to it - at one point there were 3-4 sovs organising their own little mini-offensive from the ammo spawn to the North Railyard whilst the major battle raged on as usual in the warehouse/ assembly hall.

Like fat partisan said, they clearly have the hardware ('Zheleza' or iron) to do it. So why the hell not?

Monkwarrior

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Would probably be a monster running a Linux backend.
A common mistake: linux servers are not faster when running modern games. In general they are more stable tho, but not faster nor better suited to handle big loads.

_KaszpiR_

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 7, 2006
Poland, Warsaw
nvt.prv.pl
all depends on how the server is prepared, if you got tuned up windows and stuffed with crap linux then no wonder winblows wins

but for scripting abilities and managment i prefer linux.
as i always say - if you ned to set up server,then use the OS yu know the best.

Pdog

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 22, 2006
Just came back from this server, and it was being ruined by RTR team killing noobs and spammers. Server is pretty much worthless if this stuff is allowed to go on.

U3BAPuHCKUU*_4yBAK

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 12, 2006
alas, server become too laggy when admin set 40 players. Before it I had 10-20 ( /me from corbina ;) ) and now its 50; other playrs have 200+(!)

also there are some lags;

And I see that RO isnt designed for 32+ players because all turn into CS-like TDM instead of tactical action :(

I'd suggesst Barmaley set maxplayers to 28-32

Lexar

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 27, 2006
organised-spam.com
I remember a few years back with some buddies we setup a private server for UT (the old one) and put in 150 bots on facing worlds. That was pretty sweet, but totally unlike what RO should be about, with these map-sizes of course.

Omg imagine the grenade spam :D

Jedimaster5577

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 9, 2007
I think for some maps 32+ is warranted. Some maps feel as if you have to jog miles just to see a little bit of action, and after you die, it is the long trek all over again. So as long as they can keep the lag low, it would be fun to experience it.

Solo4114

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 12, 2006
If they can run it, great. Most servers don't have the hardware to run 32, much less 40.