• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No Film Grain in Spectator Texture Mod

Slappy Cromwell

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Oh, hi there, Tripwire forums! I didn't see you come in! It's been too long, it really has. So tell me, how are the kids? Really? Fantastic! You'll have to tell me all about it later. But for now, let's get down to business.

If you've ever died in Killing Floor, you probably noticed that you enter a spectator mode. If you've ever entered this spectator mode, you probably also noticed that there's a rather prominent film grain effect covering your screen for the entire duration of your spectating. While the film grain certainly adds a bit of character, you might have noticed it quickly becomes quite annoying as it seriously impedes your view, making spectating in dark maps like Farm and Bedlam nearly impossible! Unfortunately, try as you may, you probably found that there was no way to disable that muddy spectator film grain, leaving you to wallow in misery every time it graced your screen... until now!

I have created a simple texture modification that disables the annoying spectator film grain, allowing you to spectate in grain-less freedom to your heart's content. And, as always, there are no mutators required! This mod is fully client-side and work on-line! Just install the textures and you're done! You're free to play in your favorite servers, even perks enabled, using this texture without need worrying of whitelists or graylists or package mismatch errors or anything!

Download KFNoFilmGrainV2.rar (90.62 kb)

Comparison Images
Before (Film Grain Present)

After (No Film Grain!)

Last edited:
After some additional testing, I determined that the first release of this texture mod had a bug that was causing some specimen animations to not play. I don't know how that's possible, but I have redone the package to fix the bug and updated the download link to point to the new version. If you downloaded the mod before I made this post, please redownload it to take address that problem.

Unfortunately, the new method I used to remove the film grain has a minor side effect. The spectator mode view is no longer as bright as it was before. It's still entirely free from the grain, but it's not quite as bright as the way living players see the map which is what I was aiming for. I apologize for this, but I could not find any alternative. The screenshots have been updated to reflect the change.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, the new method I used to remove the film grain has a minor side effect. The spectator mode view is no longer as bright as it was before. It's still entirely free from the grain, but it's not quite as bright as the way living players see the map which is what I was aiming for. I apologize for this, but I could not find any alternative. The screenshots have been updated to reflect the change.
To be honest I rather the new, less bright effect. Good job :)

Upvote 0