• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Nearly the end of March

Ok, so it is nearing the end of March - what have we been up to this week?

More on the armor system - adding in the mechanics for HEAT and HE penetration (yes, HE rounds can penetrate armor - just not very well). Spent some time re-looking at the base data, comparisons of the various test results and criteria - so now the 75mm L/43 does have a longer reach than I had allowed for. But we've beaten armor to death over the last week, so I'll move on.

Someone asked about small arms. And I think bullet penetration and the suppression system have been mentioned. We've still to put the final data into place for that one as well, but that will be interesting. Although people are forgetting that, while there are some cheap little wooden houses around, there is a good amount of brick construction - and plenty of stone and concrete in Stalingrad. The calcs here take into account the material hardness and density, the projectile velocity and mass. Just checking it - it needs a little refinement, but we can do that! There's a whole bunch of other criteria in the real world (tip shape, length, ultimate tensile strength...) but we can simplify this down as most of this stuff won't be changing during game play - so we really come down to which round, what velocity and what material.

But what will this do in game? Well - you'll have to think what you are hiding behind, for sure. If someone is "hiding" behind a thin wooden door, they are very vulnerable: "concealment" vs, "cover"!

On the other hand, 12 inches of concrete should do the job pretty well. But, for me, it all comes back to the point that, if the enemy knows where you are - you are vulnerable. I love MGs, so I should have a lot of fun with people who don't know what they are doing. Hide behind a single layer of brick? I don't think so :)

Will MGs be hugely over-powered/over-powering as a result? No - but they will be different to RO1. I hated pop-up riflemen in RO1 - but if I know where you are now, you had better get out of there! Of course, machine-gunners will still be very vulnerable to someone they have NOT got suppressed. So, DUCK!

Also trying to close off the script work on the campaigns and the training. Seems simple enough, but it can take hours when hunting down the "right" info for each mission.

There's also a bunch of work on other projects. Mostly we're not ready to talk about, so tough :p But Dwarfs closing in on a release, which should be a lot of fun. Trying to make time to look at some other games, setting up for more PR. More fun coming on Killing Floor, too - we enjoy it too much to abandon that one!

And someone pick a topic for next week :p

Cool.

Possible topic for next week - Server admin tools/controls. Maybe some specifics on the breadth of customization options that will be available to the server admins via built in controls. I know it means extra work for you guys, but it would be really cool if admins had a lot of tools to work with which would allow them to fine tune their server to play just how they would like it to, without having to make a bunch of mutators.

I'm a little miffed at missing the chance to participate in Yoshiro's short-lived 'server options and features' thread.. 4 hours!? Cmon :(

Upvote 0
Cool.

Possible topic for next week - Server admin tools/controls. Maybe some specifics on the breadth of customization options that will be available to the server admins via built in controls. I know it means extra work for you guys, but it would be really cool if admins had a lot of tools to work with which would allow them to fine tune their server to play just how they would like it to, without having to make a bunch of mutators.

I'm a little miffed at missing the chance to participate in Yoshiro's short-lived 'server options and features' thread.. 4 hours!? Cmon :(

Yea . . . He sort of posted a ninja thread. :rolleyes: No fair

Upvote 0
More on the armor system - adding in the mechanics for HEAT and HE penetration (yes, HE rounds can penetrate armor - just not very well). Spent some time re-looking at the base data, comparisons of the various test results and criteria - so now the 75mm L/43 does have a longer reach than I had allowed for. But we've beaten armor to death over the last week, so I'll move on.
Oh, nice to see we have HEAT rounds as well.

Now, I'll just play the devils advocate here and talk about the armour system (again). Will HEAT rounds be prone to not igniting at high angles? The T-34's 60

Upvote 0
Hm talking about penetration of small arms and tank shells...can tank shells penetrate materials like small arms, for example wood, brick and steel in buildings? Is that being thought about? I mean an AP round fired at a brick wall with enemies behind might result in a casualty or two.

Topic for next week: "Suprise, beta out now." :D

Edit: Will A.I. be able to handle small arms penetration, for example suppress an enemy through thin objects or also be able to react when getting shot through the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cool.

I am interested in this as well :).

Upvote 0
Another great thread to keep us all sane until this game comes out!

I'm perosnally glad that if you are surpressed you wont be able to pick off the supressor all willy nilly.

Another possible topic is expanding on the changes that happen to your player model as you gain experience to reach veterency. Also if your tank changes depending on the average veterncy of all the players inside it.

Upvote 0

It was 5, and you've had years to participate in that conversation :) Those were just the final hours before the code team started working on it and we wanted to see if there were any new ideas floating around. :IS2:

Upvote 0
Sounds great! What I loved about RO1 vs cod and even bf, was the ability to hvae an actual firefight. Those are the most fun for me, where in other games you'll have mr rambo come up next to you and knife you. Very much looking forward to the cover system, and what you mention. RELEAASEEEEEE
:D

I completely agree here. RO is also the only fps game that didnt make me angry after an extended period of play time. It is the only war game that runs at a realistic playable pace.

If they mgs actually are as effective at suppression as wilsonam says, then this should be extremely interesting to play.

Upvote 0
Sounds awesome!
Will rifleman be able to shoot through a single layer of brick? I always thought it would be cool to have the MG guy reloading behind some bricks - And have say 5 rifleman simultaneously put out a volley of rounds through those bricks and kill him.

Anyway I am really looking forward to this game,will be all day entertainment :)

Reactions: coolmu9
Upvote 0