• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Modern Warfare 3

Yahtzee Top 5 of 2011 comment:

"No one got as pissy about Counter-Strike or Quake being as popular as they did, so why is it that the fusion of these two game types (The arcade FPS and the simulation FPS) seem to be the worst thing ever?"

:x

Well it didn't at first. The first Modern Warfare I'm sure a lot of people here liked...after that all bets are off. I play it because thats what my friends play and it has its moments. I can say this game is what I was expecting from MW 2. Minus the bull**** Striker.

Upvote 0
Well it didn't at first. The first Modern Warfare I'm sure a lot of people here liked...after that all bets are off. I play it because thats what my friends play and it has its moments. I can say this game is what I was expecting from MW 2. Minus the bull**** Striker.

Looking back at CoD:4 I find the gameplay bland and boring, there was nothing unique about CoD it just struck the right cords with good timing and brilliant marketing, it brouht a sort of sheep-mentality (we'd rether paly a bland game win friends than a bril game by yourself), and showed the world how hype was so much better than substance in a game.

Upvote 0
You have to give it to CoD4 MW that the modern military setting was fresh outside of very tactical or milsim games (r6, GR, OFP, etc), even though the gameplay was very shooting gallery like.

The porblem nowadays is though that almost everything is a modern shooting gallery with exceptions few and far between. even those former milsim like games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I quoted the post mostly because he seemed to be referring to CS as a simulation. :confused:

I've played every CoD released so far, and imo, after UO it all went downhill - it was the last one in the entire series (which has been running for 8 sequels so far, if anyone's counting :p) that attempted to innovate.
True, it did cause a split in the original CoD 1 community, and some people didn't like the new gunplay (Lemon comes to mind - where is he anyways?),
but its combination of larger, longer and persistent SP levels and new MP modes were what made it my favourite CoD.

I need to stop posting in CoD threads, posts like this is what I always end up writing. :|

Upvote 0
True, it did cause a split in the original CoD 1 community, and some people didn't like the new gunplay (Lemon comes to mind - where is he anyways?),
but its combination of larger, longer and persistent SP levels and new MP modes were what made it my favourite CoD.

I'd hardly call it persistent but more pure nonstop grinding. Maybe the veteran difficulty was just somehow ****ed up beyond any belief but it's even worse than CoD2 about nonstop evil nazzee frogmen coming out of a water closet until you jump there ten times and toss a grenade in the toilet to make sure the respawn script stopped. Not to mention the bike chase scene was almost impossible because every rifleman suddenly were using prototype Mauser M134s and you had less than 0.1s time to react and if you didn't you'd better off pressing quick load or restart the mission if your quick save was mistimed.

Never really understood why since CoDUO the SP (at least to CoD4, the last CoD I've played) made the challenge about nonstop respawning enemy waves in every imaginable situation where the only way to play is to spam ****load of smoke and\or just rush through and hope you deactivate the respawn script in time.

Upvote 0
Imho, the respawning was much worse in 2 - in UO it was only limited to a couple of places, iirc. And by persistent I meant that it had actual campaigns with missions that made sense and followed one another (with the obvious exception of the Brit campaign, of course), and that the equipment carried over from mission to mission.

Upvote 0
Well my experience ->

CoD1 -> epic at the time, great atmosphere and I loved the MP because it was also extremely atmospheric imo
UO -> CoD1 but bigger and better
CoD2 -> felt like CoD1 but more polished, but on the other hand maybe a step back from UO and MP wasn't as atmopsheric and more focused on skill(as in a mp fps with ww2 setting as opposed to a ww2 game with teambased mp part)

CoD 3 -> didn't play. Is it worth getting for 15

Upvote 0
nonstop evil nazzee frogmen coming out of a water closet until you jump there ten times and toss a grenade in the toilet to make sure the respawn script stopped.

I tried the CoD4/MW1 SP demo and stopped when I saw the game's (and the series') sole gimmick seems to be enemies respawning infinitely while you proceed along a shooting gallery.

Reactions: kapulA
Upvote 0