• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 MG42 needs a nerf

Floyd, pivots are important, and weren't used in the force mass calculations. Niether were momentum or inertia, which then play as factors.

My arguement is that hip-firing is relatively easy (with the proper stance and grip, hence the extra mouse click), but moving (walking) or changing direction quickly is extremely hard while doing so. So moving or redirecting during hip-firing should come at a penalty.

Adding barrel climb during hip-firing is a valid point, as the weapon is not shouldered prone with the added benifit of a deployed bipod (which also absorbs recoil).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last point of variation is barrel length. The longer the barrel, the more gas exerts force in recoil. Out of the Kar98, MG34 and MG42, the MG42 has the shortest barrel. Shorter barrels reduce accuracy and recoil. Ask anyone (Floyd) who fired a snub nose pistol versus a long barrel of the same caliber, they'll confirm this readily.

Shorter barrels do decrease accuracy because of a shorter sight radius and less time to stabilize the bullet, but the recoil is usually more for guns with shorter barrels because they often weigh a lot less then their counterparts with longer barrels.

Upvote 0
Shorter barrels do decrease accuracy because of a shorter sight radius and less time to stabilize the bullet, but the recoil is usually more for guns with shorter barrels because they often weigh a lot less then their counterparts with longer barrels.

ahh, yes. Less weight is more recoil, but the MG42 weighs more than a Kar98, but 2lbs less than a MG34. Regardless, shorter barrels still reduce recoil.

Upvote 0
As many have already stated, there are lots of things that can be done IRL but shouldn't be applied to the game.

I'm sure everyone would like to stretch the word "Realism" to full effect, but the fact of the matter is you cannot do so without detracting from the gameplay experience.
I'd love to be able to dig foxholes, plant landmines and jump onto tanks, but on a map like Bridges or Tula, this would heavily effect the balance in favor of one side.

Of course you can hipfire an MG42 IRL to varying degrees of accuracy, but you have to ask yourself "would this be good to replicate in RO2? How might this effect maps such as X and Y?" instead of simply inserting such a feature into the game and watching what happens.
At present, MG hipfiring does not account for the weight of the weapon, the belt that dangles off the side or the fatigue on the soldier -- that is a problem with the implementation that is not compensated for with something as simple as a 2nd mouse-click.

Cool picture, but it looks like a modern re-creator to me.

Upvote 0
So it seems to me that nobody is really debating that the MG42 (or any other LMG in game) can, and was, fired from the hip. The real issue I think isn't even how accurately it can be done, but in the fact that you can still move while doing so. Every picture and video I've seen of it, the gunner is in a particular stance, and it's not one conducive to movement. Simple solution is to add an extra click to assume the proper firing stance, and not allow movement (and limit rotation) while in that stance. Easy and accurate fix in my opinion, which still allows for hip firing as it was historically done.

Upvote 0
Ehhh. I know you're joking, but let's not go there.

Report time thx for quoting that since I have him on ignore, he seems to confuse me hating nazis thinking I hate germans.
I dont hate anyone, I may hate fascism regardless of race or nationality. But if you think I hate germans your dead wrong. My father went to a german school for christ sake and speaks fluent german. In any case ever hear of DDR?

As for the MG42 topic, did I start this thread? No I simply pointed out the flaws in best way. That just makes him mad cause im so right

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Report time thx for quoting that since I have him on ignore, he seems to confuse me hating nazis thinking I hate germans.
I dont hate anyone, I may hate fascism regardless of race or nationality. But if you think I hate germans your dead wrong. My father went to a german school for christ sake and speaks fluent german. In any case ever hear of DDR?

As for the MG42 topic, did I start this thread? No I simply pointed out the flaws in best way. That just makes him mad cause im so right

Then don't bash on Kleist and me. That simple. :)

Upvote 0
I think Kleist was in the Army .He must have used an MG-3 sometime in his life. From my experience (National Guard).. Mg3 is A Heavy Weapon! At Least for a man like me 1.81 cm Height 75 Weight . It was not Impossible to raise up the Gun but neither easy ( imagine that during Combat) . And MG3 is by 1 Kg LIGHTER than Mg42. Mg42 MUST have RO1(DH) system . It is a heavy weapon for every man and Hip-Firing with it breaks the game realism !

Upvote 0
You may attach some strap to your mg so it lays pointing straight forward when you just walk around so you don't need to raise it.

Something like that, lol. So you just do your stuff and the mg is ready all the time, just wait for the ****ers to come at you : D You don't need to heavy lift it with your hands.

ulc6hrQ.png

Upvote 0
That just makes him mad cause im so right
Spoken like a true ignorant 13 year old.

AFAIK, you can't 'run around' shooting the MG's there's a huge speed penalty, if you try to move, and accuracy is thrown off, even further.

There should be a right click to bring up the gun to hip fire, more than that I cannot really agree with. 25 lbs, really isn't THAT much weight to bring up to your hip. Yeah, it would suck carrying any LMG for long periods, but that's really not that much weight, for someone who's physically fit, and already has training and experience with the weapon, to bring to their hip.

Also, they need to finish working out the deployment bugs. That's my biggest issue as MG class, right now.

BTW, you can find youtube videos of soldiers dual wielding LMG's, one in each hand. Just for poops and giggles obviously, but it can be done, and fired that way. Albeit, it's not very safe, and you're not going to have any accuracy to speak of, my point is more about handling the weight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think Kleist was in the Army .He must have used an MG-3 sometime in his life. From my experience (National Guard).. Mg3 is A Heavy Weapon! At Least for a man like me 1.81 cm Height 75 Weight . It was not Impossible to raise up the Gun but neither easy ( imagine that during Combat) . And MG3 is by 1 Kg LIGHTER than Mg42. Mg42 MUST have RO1(DH) system . It is a heavy weapon for every man and Hip-Firing with it breaks the game realism !

It

Upvote 0
Spoken like a true ignorant 13 year old.

AFAIK, you can't 'run around' shooting the MG's there's a huge speed penalty, if you try to move, and accuracy is thrown off, even further.

There should be a right click to bring up the gun to hip fire, more than that I cannot really agree with. 25 lbs, really isn't THAT much weight to bring up to your hip. Yeah, it would suck carrying any LMG for long periods, but that's really not that much weight, for someone who's physically fit, and already has training and experience with the weapon, to bring to their hip.

Also, they need to finish working out the deployment bugs. That's my biggest issue as MG class, right now.

BTW, you can find youtube videos of soldiers dual wielding LMG's, one in each hand. Just for poops and giggles obviously, but it can be done, and fired that way. Albeit, it's not very safe, and you're not going to have any accuracy to speak of, my point is more about handling the weight.

If you are agreeing with me then why arre you trying you insulting me by calling me a 13 year old? Like the mods said drop it with me, I didnt make this thread I just contributed some facts on firing a fing mg from hip
Enjoy your vacation

Last edited:
Upvote 0