• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] Winterwald

You obviously haven't played it on an Australian server Danh. While I was playing it the other day, half of the russians stayed back in the tree's and tents (Mostly new players) while the rest got right up near the AA guns, amongst the sandbags, with an mg set up on the ridge behind on the right side.

That is really nice and I am happy to hear that. This was what I was hoping for. Now next we need is for a melee battle to happen for K. :D

Upvote 0
i might have missed this because i only read the first post, but do you have a data store log for this?
or do servers just have to guess and make stuff up for webadmin?

You mean something like this?

[te-winterwald ROUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
MapName=TE-Winterwald_B2_1
FriendlyName=Winterwald
GameType=ROGame.ROGameInfoTerritories
PreviewImageMarkup=<Images:ui_textures.menus.HostGame.MapSelect_Community>
Description=Winterwald

Upvote 0
here you go,remember to update to whatever version you're running,i'm still on b_2

[TE-Winterwald_B2 ROUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
MapName=TE-Winterwald_B2
FriendlyName=TE-Winterwald_B2
GameType=ROGame.ROGameInfoTerritories
PreviewImageMarkup=
Description=
LoadMapMovie=
MapTips=
MapTips=
MapType16=ROMT_CombinedArms
MapType32=ROMT_CombinedArms
MapType64=ROMT_CombinedArms
[Winterwald_B2 ROUIDataProvider_WorldInfo]
MapName=Winterwald_B2
FriendlyName=Winterwald_B2
PreviewImageMarkup=
Description=Winterwald_B2 Map

edit: you can add the lines above to ROGame.ini, or save them with notepad and rename them TE-Winterwald_B2.ini and put the file in your servers cookedpcserver\config folder (which is easier to do)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No one likes to die or give up his life for their comrades so all the Russians hide behind tents and trees. This lets the German go in very easily. I'm not sure if I want to change this or not. If you notice, I have defenses all around the camp and around the AA guns, but most Russians tend to hide in the tents and trees. Even when G is capped, I check the map and a lot of Russians don't push out to the outer perimeter of the camp. They spawn and stay at the back of the camp.

I remember that there is a Maxim position on the far right side, but I noticed that nobody (including myself) ever tries to go there, because there's a long sprint of open ground.

I am thinking that putting one or two small trailerpark-ish buildings like the maxim building- in front of the first two guns could make it more of a close quarters action. If the Russian team is good, they could set up a Maxim(?) or a DP in each and provide some inter-lapping fields of fire with the trailer to the rear.

Some russians could jump into the trailer (s?) and hold a weak defense line here, and do a last ditch shootout with the Germans over 100-130 meters.

If they can't hold the area, then they get rolled up.

I inspected the area today, and experimented with destroying the guns myself (in a small game), and the whole park is essentially a defensive wall that's facing the opposite direction. As in, the weak point is directly in front of the germans, while the strong point is the rear arc made by the tents and the house, and the hill to the left of it.':

---

Another observation, but an extension of what I noticed before: The Germans can swing far right, and flank the Russians right on the flank of the Trailer house. The final cap is in front of the ammo dump. The hill holds higher ground that's less than 100 meters away.

I swung far right over here again, and found that the branches were protecting me from counter-fire as the russians were trying to retake the trailer house and the hill. I mean, bullets don't seem to go through either way. I can see how an enterprising German team, after blowing all 3 guns could flank far right, up to the map limit (where warning, you're leaving the combat zone indicator shows up) every time, and completely finish the Russians in one quick 'sickle cut' by clearing the area of russians, and then running down to flood the trailer. Then the game's over.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay. I will try to sketch up a better defense for the next beta. These guns should be protected better. I want a meaningful attack and defense for the last objective. I get a lot of comments saying that its hard for both sides. This is good.

That is the whole truth. Any changes to this well balanced map and its epic last battle is likely to introduce unwanted bias. Please, let's not have it occur here. This map is bunches of fun to play as it is.

Upvote 0
A minor thing with those tents. Can you turn off collision for the tent ropes.

This can be done, easily.
Turn the collision off on the tents completely.
Then use a blocking volume that covers just the tent, and not the ropes.

Also, your fires don't flicker the lighting surrounding it. It's easy to do if you are interested, I can esplain it.

Opposite end of the critisism, your map is wounderfully amazing. Very refreshing to have a map that takes you the distance, across a sprawling battlefield.

Upvote 0
This can be done, easily.
Turn the collision off on the tents completely.
Then use a blocking volume that covers just the tent, and not the ropes.

Also, your fires don't flicker the lighting surrounding it. It's easy to do if you are interested, I can esplain it.

Opposite end of the critisism, your map is wounderfully amazing. Very refreshing to have a map that takes you the distance, across a sprawling battlefield.

I could change the collision to blocking volumes. But then you can't go inside the tents and take a nap. :D

Upvote 0
Okay. If we remember the first day of release, K did not exist. I added K to fix that weird bug with the AA. But I never deleted K objective after I found out the REAL reason the AA guns didn't end the game. So here we are with K, an objective I hastily put into the map.

Plans:
-No beta until probably middle to end of October
-Removing the hill where the Germans like to sit and shoot straight into the camp
-Expanding map boundary
-Add a light defense in front of the AA guns so I hope the russians can gain around 1 to 2 more minutes with the guns
-Add light defense at the rear of the camp so Germans will need to kill those guys too to take the K cap
-Increase K cap time

Let me know what everyone thinks. I can just delete K all together but people like playing that objective.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just entered the 24/7 tat server and it was full. I see that Allies were full so I joined axis. I didn't spawn. I checked the reinforcements and Axis had 0. I said okay that's normal. I check the objective and they were at E and F. Someone said B and C was a big problem for the axis. I was unable to see what happened so hopefully someone can fill me in. They said the axis lost the flanks of B and C to the allies.

My guesses:
Since axis lost the flanks at B and C, as they leave spawn, the allies would shoot at them from their flanks and kill them before they reach the cap zone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0