• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] Winterwald

When you play as German, you can flank the Russian maxim house on your right flank, and then hold a blocking squad on top of the hill overlooking the house and all the approaches. This is a complete flank of the Russian defensive zone just past their equipment park. Russians can be dropped all along this arc.

It can also make it very difficult for the Russian team to reinforce as they have to cross a funnell to get to the front, and the hill covers it.

The hill is loaded with trees and green bushes, and it is difficult for the Russians to counterattack once the hill is taken. So it is imperative for the Russians to hold their hill on their left flank, or their entire defense is compromised. This is one of the facts that make the Russian defense rather difficult.

The last time I played as German on the 40-1 server- I took this hill and shot 20+Russians, and ran out of ammunition twice with my G41. This is a reverse of the earlier situation, where the German team was subjected to a turkey shoot as we tried to take the first few objectives.

Upvote 0
Played this map for the first time today, i couldn't stay for long ...

Usualy my game runs at 60FPS all the time, with this map it was 35 - 41. Absolutely horrible.

Got killed so many times because of low FPS
LOL. I can barely notice the difference between 35 and 60 FPS. If it's above 25 FPS I'm pretty fine with it :p

Upvote 0
I've always felt it's very even for both sides once it comes to attack/defending the AA guns. For both sides who have equally dense woodland cover, both sides can watch for movement or muzzle flashes. It does seem however that Germans do get the advantage of a slightly higher ground but I think it's the first time on the map that the Germans get some sort of high ground advantage as the map seems to slope down gently towards the final points.

PS: FPS is fine for me on this map, very smooth.

Upvote 0
My comment wasn't so much the fps, it was the fact that he found it horrible and unplayable and blamed dying on it. Really? It might not be the best, but that is a decent medium fps :p
that's what i meant as well. every post the guy made when he logged on, was pure confusion. :confused:
i just threw in my fps experience so Dan would know it's not a big problem.

Upvote 0
Is it just me or is there alot less fog now when the fighting starts reaching the top of the hill?? If so, that is a cool effect and might be true to life but I think the same level of fog over the entire hill gives more an element of surprise for both sides. Maybe it's just my imagination though.

Still the best custom map out!

Upvote 0
^
It definitely feels like 30% less fog in B2_1 rather than just 5%. I remember defending the hills as a soviet in the first version and the Germans did not appear until 90 meters away. The Soviets had to move up onto the hills in order to stop the Germans so their entire defense was shifted forward.

Now, the Soviets can shoot at shadows up to 160 m while they blend into the background. So this is where 'German blood' is to be spilled.

But still, I like it as it is. The first one, however, was especially eerie due to the fog that covered much of the map. The limited line of sight made surprises appear late. There was apparently more foliage well, which disoriented more than the revised versions.

----

In the last four capzones-

The Germans enjoy cover up to 100 meters for the first two guns. The other one is 130 meters away. Then they either have to cap the batteries (more difficult) or they have to send an engineer to make a 100 meter dash and throw a satchel onto the gun. This can be accomplished much more easily with the throwing of smoke.

The 130 meters away gun is covered by the Maxim house, and I had noticed that, while the Maxim gunner can be shot in the head fairly easily, the window to the Soviet's far left has considerably more protection for a DP gunner or a SVT.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It definitely feels like 30% less fog in B2_1 rather than just 5%.

You have to account that the fog spans around 100000 square meters (assuming from A to E is about 500 by 200 meters). 5% will be a big change.

In the last four capzones-

The Germans enjoy cover up to 100 meters for the first two guns. The other one is 130 meters away. Then they either have to cap the batteries (more difficult) or they have to send an engineer to make a 100 meter dash and throw a satchel onto the gun. This can be accomplished much more easily with the throwing of smoke.

The 130 meters away gun is covered by the Maxim house, and I had noticed that, while the Maxim gunner can be shot in the head fairly easily, the window to the Soviet's far left has considerably more protection for a DP gunner or a SVT.

No one likes to die or give up his life for their comrades so all the Russians hide behind tents and trees. This lets the German go in very easily. I'm not sure if I want to change this or not. If you notice, I have defenses all around the camp and around the AA guns, but most Russians tend to hide in the tents and trees. Even when G is capped, I check the map and a lot of Russians don't push out to the outer perimeter of the camp. They spawn and stay at the back of the camp.

Last edited:
Upvote 0