• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP]WF-Omaha Beach

:cool:

Allied bots are getting stuck in one or two areas where stationary Higgins boats are nearly touching. This can be easily corrected. But in my opinion, Allied bots should not spawn anywhere in the center of the beach. Their spawn areas should focus toward the flanks until the beach is in full control of the allies. Otherwise there is too much ticket attrition. Creative bot pathing has a huge untapped potential, and I will never cease repeating this. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:cool:

Allied bots are getting stuck in one or two areas where stationary Higgins boats are nearly touching. In my opinion, Allied bots should not spawn anywhere in the center of the beach. Their spawn areas should focus toward the flanks until the beach is in full control of the allies. Otherwise there is too much ticket attrition. Creative bot pathing has a huge untapped potential, and I will never cease repeating this. :)

Well I can tell you for the Makin Map, the first cap will definitely have creative pathing. It's more or less a full frontal charge. With an AT ditch for cover, and a few wrecked vehicles on a road (I had to put that in or it'd just be a slaughter.) Japanese if they were to attack on a campaign map could over run the cap in seconds if they banzai'd. It's just a lot of work, planning, and not to mention CPU crunching. Which is why not many maps even bother doing it. Same goes to the cover system, bots wouldn't be so stupid if people actually put in the right variables for each cover slot, which is why bots will take cover on the Wrong Side. There are a bunch of variables for it, like is it good cover for Axis? Allies? Defenders? Attackers? (There's around 10-12 variables) I strongly recommend what Sphaeling said awhile ago, create prefab mesh & cover group combos. I think I have a screenshot somewhere of the amount of variables. A single cover group often has a larger window then the entire world info if you were to extend each sub tab for each.
Revamping the AI and how it uses the cover system would be a pretty cool project for a mutator, based on spawn locations, nearest enemies, objective actors, suppression, etc, so they aren't so stupid with cover and running headlong into enemy fire. Probably could use a complex vector and rotator system for it. And try to make it so they detect enemies via a few factors sounds, movement, and muzzleflash, as well as inhibiting factors like distance, angle, proximity to other enemies, and visual obstructions which would be calculated into accuracy and ability to detect enemies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
https://youtu.be/xYYwgA44stY?t=277
One more successful game for US was today, so if you notice ground at 4:37 looks a little bit weird, if on example there will be rushing 32 players it would be funny as sh*t) Maybe creator should make a foorpath like zigzag on that hill, so it would look so much bad.

Good vid! Are you referring to the way the players feet disappear into the terrain on steep hills?

Upvote 0
Good vid! Are you referring to the way the players feet disappear into the terrain on steep hills?

Its about first one, where players feetdissapear into the terrain, but there is two sides of it:
1)Its "+"- Someone's legs were literally in the ground on a coast, but he could move or so, like it was really heavy sand and you could draw in it like in Sahara's desert traps.
2)Its "-"- When i was climbing with by buddy along the hill, legs not only like dissapear, but at some point it feels a little bit messy, nice moving, i could even run, other way it was hard to navigate at this angle. I want it like more smoothy or create a sepatate footpath .

Upvote 0
Its about first one, where players feetdissapear into the terrain, but there is two sides of it:
1)Its "+"- Someone's legs were literally in the ground on a coast, but he could move or so, like it was really heavy sand and you could draw in it like in Sahara's desert traps.
2)Its "-"- When i was climbing with by buddy along the hill, legs not only like dissapear, but at some point it feels a little bit messy, nice moving, i could even run, other way it was hard to navigate at this angle. I want it like more smoothy or create a sepatate footpath .

Ok gotya, will try to mark traversible paths better

Upvote 0
Was gonna give my feedback from today ago:

My light suggestions you already have.

First thing you notice is that there needs to be allot more craters in the overall map, Germans were shooting their 88's in land to the beaches and the allies bombed the hell out of the land behind it. This aerial picture of during the landing gives a great look at how many craters there were and how far apart:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Omaha_beach-aerial-view.jpg

But as i said, there needs to be more stuff to hide behind on the beach because Allies don't stand a chance right now.

The shingle on the beaches are too low at the moment. It was the only semi safe place on the beach, example on how it looks today, after years of the sea washing against it its more a wall now than a small hill:

https://photos.travelblog.org/Photo...oops_had_was_behind_these_shingle_banks-0.jpg

I also noticed that the Germans can advance straight into the Allied spawn at the Ferme Normandie objective i believe after it has been captured. Saw some heavy spawncamping there.

Also i think the US side needs at least 25%/30% more tickets than the Germans.

The hill on the left on the beach (looking from the beach itself) still seems a bit empty, maybe a anti tank gun bunker on the far left would be nice.

The random artillery at the moment also kills players, i think its better to make sure it doesnt kill players as the allied side already has allot of trouble getting off that beach!

And of course more decoration needs to be on the beach, i think looking at the Dog Green map from Darkest Hour can give some great idea's.

i noticed that there is some background noise on the beach but its volume is pretty low, this is a full one earbleeding invasion but its too quiet. If i can think of more feedback i will add it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You don't want to make it too easy. Allied can get off the beach as it is. Lockdown is the thing that kills it. The G cap is harder than C in my opinion lol.

But yes there was heavy allied bombong. They were supposed to bomb the beach and its defences. However the baby didn't trust the airforce so told them to count 5-30 seconds after they though they were over the beach defences. Which just mean they bombed as far as 5km out from the beach itself. With the heavy damage being in a 1km zone that start about 50m out from the defences.

Upvote 0
You don't want to make it too easy. Allied can get off the beach as it is. Lockdown is the thing that kills it. The G cap is harder than C in my opinion lol.

But yes there was heavy allied bombong. They were supposed to bomb the beach and its defences. However the baby didn't trust the airforce so told them to count 5-30 seconds after they though they were over the beach defences. Which just mean they bombed as far as 5km out from the beach itself. With the heavy damage being in a 1km zone that start about 50m out from the defences.

Wait the allies were heavily smoking with bongs called "boms"?

Upvote 0
1940s slang. And wouldn't you get high shortly before invaded a country?
Totally, I mean it's a great idea right? Reduced motor control and hallucinations are a plus when fighting for your life.

~ edit unless you're:
A. Russian with Vodka
B. Japanese with Sake
What happens next?
Urrah/Banzai charge...One side gets totally destroyed, I think we all know which.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
;)

Let's not go crazy in the other direction and bugger a really challenging map insensible. We need tweaks, not abrupt lurches. The major problem as I see it now is creative bot pathing. If they are allowed to spawn in the middle and advance directly toward the beach, they will become 3/4 ticket casualties for the allies right out of the box. There are several things that could be done. Do bots need to spawn in the same area as human players? I hope the udk didn't force that to be the case. People can take care of themselves. The Bots need to come from elsewhere less focused upon. (flanks.) Could some bots be made to gravitate toward cover and fire from position at long range at the upper levels?
Have you ever seen what a hero class bot can do at range? I have. It's impressive. I can still hear the screaming of players on the team voice channels. I'm tempted to try this on Crucible. Don't make me. :D It's time to get creative so more bots can get off that beach without diminishing the lethal nature of the historic fact for humans.

As it stands now, the allied players have been forced to use charges and coordination to gain a victory. This is progress. They were FORCED to get clever whether they wanted to or not. Sometimes they win, but only when there are more humans present than bots. Now I know some folks hate to see bots at all. But that's not a solution on my server. There is going to have to be a balance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The AI I would say would be a later concern right now as, in most games I have played, if the server has a majority of bots the attackers can usually get to the final objective. Considering a full server has issues cracking G right now I don't think the deaths of a few bots are that much of an issue. Right now there needs to be more fixes to stop them doing fun things like the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjCPvLw2uNY

Upvote 0
The AI I would say would be a later concern right now as, in most games I have played, if the server has a majority of bots the attackers can usually get to the final objective. Considering a full server has issues cracking G right now I don't think the deaths of a few bots are that much of an issue. Right now there needs to be more fixes to stop them doing fun things like the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjCPvLw2uNY

:cool: I'm confident the mappers can find a sweet spot. I'm just making suggestions to diminish problems. I don't want that beach crossing to be nerfed. It was hell in 1944. It should be now.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I had a bunch of good matches today with a mostly full to full server.

As with most maps, players are starting to figure it out with movement and fighting starting to mature, if that makes sense. The allies are getting more efficient at capping A&B and then making it to C. They lost once out of four attempts in lockdown at C. If the bunker is suppressed and SL's flank right, it's a battle, but doable.

Frankly, capping A & B right now seems pointless since it's impossible to advance from them. It unfolds the same each time, smoke, dive in the crater, cap, run around for a few seconds and get mowed down. Then flank and get on to the business of getting across. For me anyway, there isn't much tension, where you're running through a hail of gunfire and smoke, diving for cover, scrambling to make it across. It pretty much comes down to, if you're seen, you're dead within a second or two. Flanking on the right side, you either die immediately, or never come under fire.

I still think that there needs to be another radio, a bit more clutter on the beach and access to smokes. Adding a significant shingle ledge would be great too. Mainly for replayability so the Allies can have the option of attacking different locations instead of only the right side being viable. To balance more tools for the Allies, some sandbags up along the high ridge would allow cover for the Axis and give them a wider field of fire. Right now, if a mg sets up outside the bunker along the wire, they are very visible and die quickly. Inside the bunker, they can't see that right (their left) side. There's more fighting at D now after C falls, the sandbags would prolong it.

Maybe make C & D active at the same time? C falls quickly and having D active would increase the pressure to attack that left side. Or add an objective in the ruins at the base of the bunker? C never feels like a battle, more like you just sweep into an empty cap. Maybe how the axis defends it will change, they could really make it tough if everyone except snipers and mg's headed down there.

The battle for the church is becoming tougher, a smaller cap should make it more intense.

Great map, I really enjoy the freedom to move and minimal RSOD.

Also, the damn random arty just nukes you in spawn on the beach, super annoying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Update to Beta 2

Update to Beta 2

Updated to WF-Omaha Beach B2

DOWNLOAD HERE (163 MB)

(OP Updated Also)

Changelog for B2 - 11/25/2015

Increased Allies reinforcements
  • 16 players was 400 now 500
  • 32 players was 500 now 700
  • 64 players was 600 now 900

Increased Axis reinforcements
  • 16 players was 300 now 375
  • 32 players was 400 now 500
  • 64 players was 450 now 600
-----------------------------

Additional Changes / Updates:
  • Map Time for 64 players increased from 35 minutes to 37
  • Disabled Lock down on all caps (Temporarily, for balance testing)
  • Added walls / cover to the area between F and G
  • Added Ammo crate on beach
  • Added Smoke Grenade pickups on beach
  • Boat spawns now come in 3 waves so if you miss the first spawn, you aren't stuck spectating until it reaches shore.
  • Varied terrain a little bit more on beach, more hills, more dips, a few more craters, but not too severe
  • Updated Collision for the dead bodies on beach to react to weapons
  • Added/modified blocking volumes around re-supply points to keep players from floating above them
  • Added a missing door frame to top floor hallway door of destroyed house in C cap
  • Made several of the custom ambient battle noises provided by lallup louder
  • Made A Cap slightly narrower as the far left edge of it was rather close to the map-boundary
  • Fixed the missing victory music for both teams
  • Replaced the glowing German flags in Barracks (G Cap) Bldg
  • Added a Radio between F and G caps in the Long Row House
  • Fixed Wonky Covernodes in top Floors of Both buildings in G
  • Added more Ambient Battle Noise inland
  • Fixed problem of not being able to spawn into Spawn 3 on beach at times
  • Added a second Radio on the right side of the beach for Allies
  • Fixed missing collision on a wall in E Cap
  • Adjusted "I" Cap zone so Allies cant cap it from behind a large wall
  • Reset Burning Boat animations/emitters on round reset
  • Addressed several areas where spawn protection was not enabled
  • Change Axis Spawn time from 17 to 18 secs
  • Added more dead bodies on beach for cover/confusion for axis
  • After initial spawn, the closest Axis Spawn is disabled.
  • Modified Light slightly (Less Brown, more blue)
  • Marked Climbable parts of the Hills better
  • Added some details to far East (Left) end of map
  • Replaced Fixed MG42s with MG34s as there are some animation issues with the fixed MG42s.
  • Added Fixed MG34 to F cap
  • Fixed collision issue with some rubble and broken walls snagging players and bots
  • Added path blocking volume to center of beach to keep bots from charging down the middle
  • Fixed some spots where players were getting stuck
  • Made Church cap area slightly smaller
  • Added Underwater Postprocess effect when below ocean surface.
  • Destroyers off the coast now randomly fire (Visual effect only)
  • Added more ambient battle noise
  • Fixed unreliable Spawn point 3 on beach
  • Axis can no longer call arty down on the front half (closest to water) of the beach
  • Ambient arty will remain for now and will kill
  • Added sandbag wall to right side of house in C
  • Added sandbags in D along cliffs edge
  • Added / Fixed cover-nodes all over including in the bunkers
  • Increased the steepness of the beach "shelf" in many areas
  • Added several Scripted explosions
  • Added two more custom wall art photos
  • Replaced one of the buildings in the village with a new model by lallup
  • Increased Cap time for Church, was 26 secs now 32

As always, ALL FEEDBACK is appreciated and will greatly assist in improving the map. The large response, player turnout, and videos posted with game play have allowed us to greatly expedite the improvements and changes to the map thus far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0