• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP]WF-Omaha Beach

It's a brilliant map. It's beautiful, huge and I don't have any performance problems on my ancient rig.

Needs some adjustments in favour Amies - more smoke grenades on the beach, no lockdown for caps, maybe something else.
Few small bugs:

In Tobruk type bunkers it is very tricky to deploy, undeploy and deploy again the MG.

Something is wrong with collision of this rubble - can't walk through from exactly this direction

Would be nice to have single patch for Germans to climb up the hill - walking back to the city is a little too far

Upvote 0
Just had a quick think about some sections of the map. Even if the attackers could have beat the lockdowns that occurred, the ticket levels for a 64 player match were just not high enough for the attackers IMO. The second game where people stalled at C would have been over by the farm while the more successful runs up to G (which has been discussed to be a hardpoint) ended with the attackers having about 50 tickets left. The defenders could have some more tickets, but the attackers will possibly need a huge boost to the already silly amount they have.

That is if there is not a solution found to helping capture C.

Upvote 0
I assume it's an engine thing, but it'd be great to be able to prone while half in the water.

Or maybe move a couple of the obstacles 1-2m farther inland. Its a pain and immersion breaking to not be able to sometimes prone behind them. Or, you're prone, you scoot over and suddenly stand up like a robot.

Not a huge issue, but especially annoying when you're under fire.

The hedgehogs don't supply enough cover if you've been spotted. I know they wouldn't irl and that's fine. They would however snag debris in the tide, maybe a scattered few of them that are more "solid" at the base?

I don't want the beach to be too easy, but even as axis, there's not much tension when you see allies running towards you. You can reload and know they're still out there, unhidden, easy pickings.

If it gets out of balance, add firing positions or a fixed mg for axis.

Upvote 0
To make it easier for American's to get off the beach I recommend placing more corpses along the waterfront and beside the artillery pits. This way players can blend in behind them and return fire to German Mgs, otherwise they stick out like a sore thumb along the beach. Also maybe an American HMG on one of the downed landing crafts to return fire and suppress German Bunkers.

Upvote 0
To make it easier for American's to get off the beach I recommend placing more corpses along the waterfront and beside the artillery pits. This way players can blend in behind them and return fire to German Mgs, otherwise they stick out like a sore thumb along the beach. Also maybe an American HMG on one of the downed landing crafts to return fire and suppress German Bunkers.

:cool: Not a bad idea. In addition, I see the creative use of bot pathing needed. Don't path the bots up the middle. Path them to the extreme left and right rather than let them be ticket squander up the middle. That will apply continued pressure on the German team in all areas.

Upvote 0
The only suggestion I have is regarding objective C. Currently, it seems that the only viable approach to this objective for the Americans is up the right flank, since the left has far less cover, and more bunkers/potential machine gun positions overlooking it. If there's just a few more shell craters or other pieces of debris on the left side of the beach, then the Allies won't be limited to one path, and might have a better shot at creating the multi-pronged attacks that are almost necessary to take the objective.

Upvote 0
:D Now I'm saying this with kind of a knowing smile on my face. Some folks are grumbling that the map is too big. I disagree. This is just ONE section of Omaha. There were several. If you make this map smaller and compress the fire into yet a smaller area; you think it's tough for the Americans now? Just wait.

No doubt many on the German team suffered some lag, choppy motion or frame drop when up on the bluff. So did I. It's normal. In that position your video card has to render more action and moving objects than anywhere else on the map. And we are probably at the outer limits of what the engine and our hardware can deal with. Again, that should be no surprise. We had some 32 players on that beach along with a lot of artillery at times. Do NOT ask the developers to dumb down this experience. It's as good as it gets in terms of accuracy and realism. And it's quite a challenge.

I was on the edge of ordering a Titan Z a month ago. Now I've made up my mind for certain. :D

Upvote 0
I was having no framerate issues with a 5850 on ultra up there. And I was recording. Though I was using a CPU accelerated codec.

:cool:

Good! But nevertheless, I don't want folks to go bonkers and misunderstand. Certain parts of this map are going to pull real hard on your video card. It's ok. It's gonna happen. By the way, Id love it if you'd link those videos soon. I'd like to show some friends. If you make them available on Youtube, that's even better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:cool:

Good! But nevertheless, I don't want folks to go bonkers and misunderstand. Certain parts of this map are going to pull real hard on your video card. It's ok. It's gonna happen. By the way, Id love it if you'd link those videos soon. I'd like to show some friends. If you make them available on Youtube, that's even better.

Well they did involve Steam conversations with other HOTW devs as it also recorded the steam overlay. But that was mostly on the other maps we played on the 29th ID. The omaha ones didn't have much I don't think. Still uploading. And making another 1 minute recap because why not lol.

Upvote 0
Wasn`t able to join yesterday. tried two times but was stuck in spectator view. Same on 29th europe. But has nothing to do with the map. Still this fu..... bug on some servers again. A few days ago this seems to be gone.

I was disappointed yesterday.

We are trying to determine why this happens. Are you able to completely uninstall the mod files then reinstall with the MODDB download?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/heroes-of-the-west/downloads

Upvote 0
We are trying to determine why this happens. Are you able to completely uninstall the mod files then reinstall with the MODDB download?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/heroes-of-the-west/downloads

How do i uninstall that? I have de-abo the mod and environment and so on in steam workshop. Is this the usually deinstalling method?

Does this mean it isn`t the server/internet connection bug ( pls. see here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=108035 ) i had yesterday???

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How do i uninstall that? I have de-abo the mod and environment and so on in steam workshop. Is this the usually deinstalling method?

Does this mean it isn`t the server/internet connection bug ( pls. see here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=108035 ) i had yesterday???

Can you try this theory and add this file to your Config folder at:

Code:
C:\Users\UserName\Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config\

File: https://s3.amazonaws.com/redorchestra2/Omaha/WF-OmahaBeachB1.ini

Are you getting this problem in both Online and in the Steam Workshop Offline Play mode?

Upvote 0