• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP]TE-Coldsteel

Mike the discussion is about the fights for the 2th objecive.

And to most of us the railyard fight is to easy for Axis now.

I was only complimenting the Railyard challenge.... not focusing upon it.

Too easy? Fine...... make it more difficult. Tweaking and fine tuning is dandy as long as the map is not made "easier".

The second objective is fine too.... many different ways to do battle... What's wrong with that? Not being forced to play in a singular-rail like direction is what made ColdSteel a hit.

Dangerous Crossing could be wider and more involved as long as we aren't stumbling on oil drums that stop us cold and floating bricks that distract, beams and sheets of corrugated steel than cannot be jumped over or climbed on or over.

Storage area poses a red screen problem but you already know about that.

IMHO, The map, aside from a few minor anomalies, plays just fine as is.... That, by the way, is the general consensus of our players.

Its the FF version that needs attention.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its not about STFU or Lala land. Well your are in LaLa land but you can't help you are born in the USA. :D

With playernumbers over 32 lots is going on. The task now is to tune it where gameplay is attractive for both teams. The 1st objectives is way to easy now. Not a real battle. Allies need a forward spawn there.

Some stuff I noticed whileplaying on full servers is the opportunity for allies to mow down lots of Axis heading for B whel leaving the spawn.

For the last three objectives I forgot to move a spwan when i decided to close down D once taken. This give the Axis to much to run.

My last goal is to make it an easy pick for axis.

p.s. and FF will be taken care of. But thats for later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That a bugger. I am finding that over half the server was crashing with the latest version of ColdSteel.

I know deleting the cache is such a simple thing to do, but people just won't do it. They just leave the server and go play stock maps somewhere else.

I agree. I totally don't understand those people complaining about the same old maps all the time while it seems too much for them to get great new maps working with 5 minutes of reading the forums and 30 seconds to find the files on the computer...
Thanks to the Apple generation, we are facing more and more of those "Demand everything, cannot do anything" kind of folks...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree. I totally don't understand those people complaining about the same old maps all the time while it seems too much for them to get great new maps working with 5 minutes of reading the forums and 30 seconds to find the files on the computer...
Thanks to the Apple generation, we are facing more and more of those "Demand everything, cannot do anything" kind of folks...

Its the attitude of the players, many of them coming from other games. You didn't see much of that with the older Ostfront crowd, at least not until the later years when the budget price drew in a different group of players.

Upvote 0
Its the attitude of the players, many of them coming from other games. You didn't see much of that with the older Ostfront crowd, at least not until the later years when the budget price drew in a different group of players.

Don't tell me, I know. I remember many times where new maps needed to be tested and we got a group of 20-30 players quickly going through our steam networks downloading the newest versions to help the mappers to test gameplay.

It's 2012 and I assume that internet speed has increased so downloading maps (even while bigger than 5 years ago) is not too time consuming.

Drecks put in so much effort in this map and besides it's beauty, it's really great in gameplay. It just deserves to be downloaded, tested and finetuned. It should not even be regarded as work for the people as they get maps for free and their input helps the mappers as well as their gameplay experience.

Upvote 0
------- snip -------
Drecks put in so much effort in this map and besides it's beauty, it's really great in gameplay. It just deserves to be downloaded, tested and fine-tuned. It should not even be regarded as work for the people as they get maps for free and their input helps the mappers as well as their gameplay experience.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ No truer or more sincere words were ever spoken. ;)

Upvote 0
All mappers have put a lot of effort in their maps so enough feathers now.
Have an update ready to test. Will check of the Steam/Forum mappers group works and we have enough testplayers to do a good test with TS and such.

Here an updated overhead with some spawnpositions. You can see the changed objective B.

overhead_up.jpg

Upvote 0

I was saying this before. I even tried getting a testing group so that betas don't get out into the general public. but it pretty much fizzled out.

Things to remember:
1: Not everyone visits (insert game name here)'s forums. We CAN NOT count on people learning how to move/delete/add files. I have seen this kill custom map efforts on other games. Don't assume they're all forum participants as we are.

2: Alot of the players are younger now, basically meaning they come from xbox/ps3 initially are still learning about mod/mapping tools and the effort it takes to get them to work with the base game. Don't assume they all understand the dynamics of modding/mapping/testing. Not to mention alot of players are non english speakers, and this forum is in English. They may not feel like google translating everything.

3: Getting people disconnected because of a custom map, Is hurtful both to the server and the map's reputation. There's nothing worse than the casual gamer going "oh great , this map always crashes, f*** this, im going to another server".

I tried getting a steam/roll call, testing group going but It has been afforded very little interest. But good luck testing/making the maps, I for one am greatly enjoying them. :)

I personally stick to my opinion that betas should not be getting into the general population, but that by no means I don't like the maps.

Upvote 0
This is the only post I'll make on this topic in this thread so as not to hijack it; if you wish to carry on this debate lets do it elsewhere in the forum.

I was saying this before. I even tried getting a testing group so that betas don't get out into the general public. but it pretty much fizzled out.
I personally stick to my opinion that betas should not be getting into the general population...

We formed the Steam group a week ago. We've been working on maps since then; the group has hardly fizzled out.

As for your wish that betas not get out into the public game for testing, and I thought I said this gently before, who are you to determine that?

Make some maps or tools, build some credibility, and contribute to our efforts to learn the SDK and improve the game before you try to change the system here. We've been putting betas into the public game with more and less success for at least six years. You just got here. Read more, test maps and contribute, learn how this culture operates then you can start to think of ways to improve the way that gets done.

Upvote 0
This is the only post I'll make on this topic in this thread so as not to hijack it; if you wish to carry on this debate lets do it elsewhere in the forum.

We formed the Steam group a week ago. We've been working on maps since then; the group has hardly fizzled out.

As for your wish that betas not get out into the public game for testing, and I thought I said this gently before, who are you to determine that?

Make some maps or tools, build some credibility, and contribute to our efforts to learn the SDK and improve the game before you try to change the system here. We've been putting betas into the public game with more and less success for at least six years. You just got here. Read more, test maps and contribute, learn how this culture operates then you can start to think of ways to improve the way that gets done.

We have nothing to debate as i completely disagree with you and you will never convince me otherwise. However I do respect your opinion.

I'm not here to prove anything, i put in my 1000's of hours for mapping and testing in other games that had mod/mapping tools and Im not going to reinstall old games just to show you my "credibility". I would map for RO2 but the content browser crash makes the RO2-SdK unusable to me. And I am in no position to be buying more ram or reformatting to get it to work. I did try the forum suggestions of deleting cache and all that and still no results.

Like I said , good luck mapping and modding. I do appreciate it as a gamer. But it seems your attitude of "We've been putting betas into the public game with more and less success for at least six years. You just got here".
is one of those "you're the new guy wtf do you know" cliches. Guess what, I'm not new. I'm new to this forum but certainly not mapping and modding.

BTW: I was more referencing this post by Cat in the Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Ten
Yes it is.

That's a bugger. I am finding that over half the players on the server were crashing after the latest version of ColdSteel.

I know deleting the cache is such a simple thing to do, but people just won't do it. They just leave the server and go play stock maps somewhere else.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If that's what you meant by ""We've been putting betas into the public game with more and less success for at least six years".

That is why I don't agree that the success you're talking about is working now. But , like I said I do appreciate the effort going into the maps.

Upvote 0
----- SNIP -----

I personally stick to my opinion that betas should not be getting into the general population, but that by no means I don't like the maps.

OK then keep your betas to yourself..... see how far you get with the admins and players. Who are you?? I never heard of you 'til a week or so ago.

You are making waves you cannot possibly ride.

To the mappers...... keep the beta's coming!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK then keep your betas to yourself..... see how far you get with the admins and players. Who are you?? I never heard of you 'til a week or so ago.

You are making waves you cannot possibly ride.

To the mappers...... keep the beta's coming!

I've never heard of you till now. So who cares? Who are you? See how that worked?

I'm not making waves of any sort, just made some suggestions and if they fall on deaf ears so be it. I'm still down for testing , finding glitches etc. If that's not needed or needed from me, cool.

I don't have betas. I'm not currently mapping for Red Orchestra 2. I love the game enough and custom maps enough to have made an account and try to participate in a formal testing group. If the mapping group/community wants to continue in their way of doing stuff. I'm not stopping them.

I already got the ""We've been putting betas into the public game with more and less success for at least six years" speech from six ten . thank you. I don't need it from you.

Upvote 0
Ok guys quit argueing as last we need is more hassle about this game.
Back on topic. I did a request for a test in the Steam ROCustom map group.

================================================
Hello I want to try out a new version of Coldsteel. I want to try
this with as much testplayers as possible and with teamspeak.
This test will go with some guides and will go over several games.
We need to check stuff like

Rundistance from spawn.
Spawnareas.
The possibilities to pin down spawnareas.
Gameplay for objectives (attractive)
Overall balance.
The Red Spawnprotection thing.

This version have better covernodes, better overhead image, tweaked spawns and objectives and more cover.

For the test we need a server and a serveradmin present during the test.
I have a free weekend ahead so sunday 22 july would be great.

I can need all the help.

Greets Drecks

======================================================

Indeed the crashes ruins a map reputation but at least we know what causes them.
Iff I was a kiddo i would panic but lucky for me I'm on an age not to worry about these things.

Upvote 0