• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Make the japanese MG go to iron sights without using bipod

I know many Japanese MG gunners used burlap cloths or even spare socks/wash cloths ect from their personal items to act as a hand guard when it heated up, this enabled them to use it more like a rifle while the barrel was hot...maybe have this as the LvL 50 unlock? go from hip firing, non-sighted MG, to a sightable automatic rifle.....its a more realistic upgrade than the silly scope that was ultra rare in combat, having the cloth guard would make the Jap team more robust since they essentially have their own equivilant to the BAR, but with 10 extra rounds and changable barrel, the barrel change animation would need to have the cloth fall off as the barrel is removed, and have the new barrel put in, the cloth re-wrapped around the barrel again (maybe 3 wraps real fast)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was wondering that yeah, can't you use it while bracing it with your shoulder in real life ? I remember firing the Bren like that in darkest hour, it was innacurate but pretty useful. I'm really tired of the " cannot prone here " and " can't aim further " , a bit more flexibility would be nice.

Upvote 0
Well yeah huge recoil and not accurate, but still possible. The thing I don't like is that this gun wouldn't need to be deployed with the bipod to be fired I think, any flat surface should be enough to stabilize the gun and fire it no ? Just like the bren in darkest hour, you can use any wall or obstacle to maintain your lmg, which seems logic. I can't stand not being able to deploy on a window for no reason.

Upvote 0
not worth it and adds nothing
It does add something.

Also I don't see the recoil being huge, as it's the same round as the rifles shoot and the MG's are fairly heavy. The Japanese 6.5mm and .30 cals had lighter recoil than all the other full sized rifle cartridges of WW2 because the Japanese had smaller cases that held less powder. So there should be less recoil than the G43, SVT40, and comparable weapons, shot for shot with the Japanese MG's.

Upvote 0
The Japanese 6.5mm and .30 cals had lighter recoil than all the other full sized rifle cartridges of WW2 because the Japanese had smaller cases that held less powder. So there should be less recoil than the G43, SVT40, and comparable weapons, shot for shot with the Japanese MG's.

This is incorrect. True only for the 6.5x50SR round; not true at all for the 7.7x58 round. It's basically a rimless British .303 (which the Japanese also used).

Upvote 0
This is incorrect. True only for the 6.5x50SR round; not true at all for the 7.7x58 round. It's basically a rimless British .303 (which the Japanese also used).
7.7x58 = 175 grain bullet @ 2440fps
202 grain @ 2200fps

7.92x57 mauser

196-198 grain @ 2600 FPS

7.62x54R
181 grain @ 2640
150 grain @ 2850

.30-06 I shouldn't even have to write down. As you can see all these cartridges launch heavier bullets faster then the 7.7 arisaka. For every action there is an equal an opposite reaction. Faster heavier projectile = more recoil. Don't make me get the recoil calculator out.

I do, because the MG isn't supposed to function well at being a rifle, and the Japanese aren't balanced around having a BAR.
That's irrelevant. It has no effect on the recoil energy. Whether a soldier can control it, is more up to their training. There's no reason why you wouldn't be able to shoulder the MG and fire rounds like that. All it's missing is a hand guard, but you could literally grab onto the barrel/gas block, if you had a cloth, or glove that would protect your hand from the heat.
The Type 99's are literally fully automatic rifles without hand guards, and a bipod and carry handle instead. They even have pistol grips.

Nothing to do with 'balance' I think it would be interesting to implement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Recoil isn't just about bullet weights and energy. And some of the reported energy and bullet weights are suspect as some of those original military loads are far different than hunting and/or lawyer loads of today, especially ones like .30-06 or 7.92 Mauser. You said that the Type 99 should have less recoil than a SVT-40 or G-41, but those latter two are semi auto. The gas system takes a lot of the recoil energy away from the shooter, whereas in a bolt action all of the energy goes into the shooter. The weight of the weapon also has an effect on recoil. A heavier gun will soak up more recoil than a lighter gun.

And having a shouldered Type 96 or 99 won't add much to the game. If you want to help out the Japanese machine gunner make it to were you can deploy in more and better places. For instance, there is several maps with these large coral outcroppings that are about waist high. Can you deploy your gun on them? NO, OF COURSE NOT. No, you're forced to get out on the front lines and deploy to fire off your magazine or two and get your head shot off!

Upvote 0