• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Let's help TWI fix survivalist quickly.

yea. the ms is a big thing. In general I do not like any class who does not have movementspeed bonus (at least at boss level). Maybe tripwire should take a second thought on the movement speed of bosses in general (or at least change their behaviour to get in "melee you until you are dead"). In the past I either chosed zerker or gunslinger on boss level to be able to solo the boss if necessary. With any non MS perk this is hardly possible.

Upvote 0
2Clicks;n2279350 said:
Other perks rely on their damage dealing, not their ability to survive. Thats why they need a dedicated medic. Even the zerk! If one perk needs "something" to make him stand out on the boss wave its that ability. Ofc the devs may not agree and try something else. Either way something needs to make it stand out more. I would hope that they (the devs) wont force us to choose the zerk skill on the boss wave if running as survivalist but if they do then so be it.

However if there is too much speed or they can cont. outrun zeds then thats probably not so great too!

i think you are right in some ways, however i disagree that you NEED a dedicated medic (at least outside of boss wave and that might be a problem in itself), but it's a fact that when a team is not playing optimally it helps a great deal, IMHO too much to the point it ruins the thrill of any sense of danger.

i'm not sure we are on the same page. but i guess what i'm trying to say is that in the end movement speed+resistance>damage dealing, because medics might not be there, enemies have high HP compared to you, there are very little/none amount of relentless enemies you need to kill before they get to you, zeds single hits do low dmg, so as long as you get away you can rinse and repeat.

Upvote 0
random;n2279478 said:
i think you are right in some ways, however i disagree that you NEED a dedicated medic (at least outside of boss wave and that might be a problem in itself), but it's a fact that when a team is not playing optimally it helps a great deal, IMHO too much to the point it ruins the thrill of any sense of danger.

i'm not sure we are on the same page. but i guess what i'm trying to say is that in the end movement speed+resistance>damage dealing, because medics might not be there, enemies have high HP compared to you, there are very little/none amount of relentless enemies you need to kill before they get to you, zeds single hits do low dmg, so as long as you get away you can rinse and repeat.

Fair enough! The context I said what I said in was that most randoms need a medic and you dont always get a good one anyway or rather one that knows what they are doing. Also having a medic makes some players sloppy so theres that dynamic to think of. The main point of all this is that surv. should be able to get out of danger fast (or by speed or stealth, the latter not really being possible unless through some gamey mechanic, well more gamey that upping the mov. spd)

Upvote 0
I have to say I'm a bit surprised... I finally caved in and tried the perk over the weekend and my experiences were overly positive.

Now mind you, I'm often someone who enjoys going offperk in my loadouts and mixing things up so the general idea behind the perk seems to be well in line with my style of play.

All that said.. I'm only level 7, so I have a lot to experience yet with the perk and its 'role'.

As far as I can tell though it's not supposed to have a defined role - that would defeat the point of it. It's the swiss army knife of the squad, able to fill in and help where needed.

My opinion may change over time as I unlock more abilities but so far I don't have any real complaints about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
infntnub;n2280718 said:
I have to say I'm a bit surprised... I finally caved in and tried the perk over the weekend and my experiences were overly positive.

Now mind you, I'm often someone who enjoys going offperk in my loadouts and mixing things up so the general idea behind the perk seems to be well in line with my style of play.

All that said.. I'm only level 7, so I have a lot to experience yet with the perk and its 'role'.

As far as I can tell though it's not supposed to have a defined role - that would defeat the point of it. It's the swiss army knife of the squad, able to fill in and help where needed.

My opinion may change over time as I unlock more abilities but so far I don't have any real complaints about it.

You'll have to wait until level 15 to rage properly (rip HE nades). The perk is great on hard, but you'll see how weird (weak) it'll feel on HoE or Suicidal, almost condemned to be a watered-down demolitionist.

Upvote 0
Having played Surv beyond lvl 20 I have come to the conclusion that it's not-all-that-bad-a-Perk on SUI but you are playing second fiddle to the other perks in whatever it is that you choose to do; you're essentially just half-filling in a gap in the team, as it happens, without having to switch to another perk.

When it comes to the Boss you're pretty much reducing your team's chance of success by deliberately handicapping yourself, and on HOE I have sympathy with teams that ask Survivalist players to switch to a 'proper' perk because of that.

IME the only thing that the Survivalist has to give it any kind of distinction is the +25% movement speed option. Being a fast perk helps him stay alive, particularly against the Boss (notwithstanding above note re Boss wave); however, the argument goes that if you were playing a 'proper' perk then you'd probably not need that speed as much.

The issue, as I now see it, is the lack of value in having a Jack-of-all-trades option in a game where that only matters when the team can't, or won't, properly compose itself; even then only when there are TWO roles not being fulfilled, not just the one. (With one role to fill you'd pick a perk that does that role well, not a perk that does a half-@rsed job of it.)

TL;DR: The Survivalist is the answer to a problem no half-way experienced player has. And it's a pretty bad perk to learn with.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheUndying
Upvote 0