• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Let's do a brainstorm: Historically accurate mode

Let's do a brainstorm: Historically accurate mode

• Yes!

Votes: 185 93.9%
  • No!

Votes: 12 6.1%

• Total voters

Scarf Ace

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2011
I'm surely not the only guy here who wants a proper historically accurate mode. We should collect our ideas and try to come up with something that would be fun, realistic and hopefully easy to make for TWI, to increase the chance of it actually happening.
I'll try to compile any ideas you get.

My ideas:

• It's "semi-ranked". You can gain ranks, levels, upgrades and honour, but any upgrades and stats will not apply when playing this mode. The cosmetic side is completely unchanged, so experienced players will still look all rugged and stuff.
  • This means that all players will have equal access to unlocks, and all players will have equal skill stats (probably at the level of raw recruit)
  • None of the absurdly rare stuff is present. No MkB, no AVT, no MP-40/II, etc.
  • However, all historically accurate standard issue equipment is available to everyone, with no need to unlock them. This means bayonets for all riflemen, drum mags and select-fire for all PPSh-41s, etc.
  • Significantly more sway when low on stamina/suppressed. We need a reason to brace our weapons.
Other peoples' ideas:

My guess is that it would probably be a bit unbalanced, but tbh it can't be much worse than it is with current modes.
The poll is there to see if there is really a demand for this.

Last edited:
A main thing that I would want to see in something like this is somewhat more logical class slots as well.

on a 16 player server every side has:

1 commander
2 squadleaders
1 mg
1 sniper
2 assaults
1 elite rifleman
14 regular rifleman

this loadout seems pretty nice if it weren't that on a 16 player server you play 8v8. Aka you can fill up a team of 8 people without anyone picking a regular rifle.

Upvote 0
Make bayonetts detachable.
I don't think that should be exclusive to a realism setting, it should always be that way.
A main thing that I would want to see in something like this is somewhat more logical class slots as well.

on a 16 player server every side has:

1 commander
2 squadleaders
1 mg
1 sniper
2 assaults
1 elite rifleman
14 regular rifleman

this loadout seems pretty nice if it weren't that on a 16 player server you play 8v8. Aka you can fill up a team of 8 people without anyone picking a regular rifle.
Added (aren't class limits decided by the map?)

Upvote 0
A big thing for me would be the available classes.

in 8v8 atm you have

1 commander
2 squad leaders
1 mg
1 sniper
2 assault
1 elite rifleman
14 regular rifleman

this means that you can fill a team of 8 people without anyone having a rifle. The main offender being that you have 3 guys in a commanding function.

Now due to the squad system working the way it does you cannot get rid of that, but it would be nice if instead for instance the elite rifleman and an assault would be removed. As squadleaders have access to those weaponry as well.

Upvote 0
I think they are somewhat, but it would be nice to have some slight changes to see more rifleman.
Yeah, we seriously need more riflemen. Using a bolt action at the moment is nothing but a handicap when you have such easy access to semi autos. A big part of the RO1 feel was the whole rifleman grunt thing.

Upvote 0
doing the math though zets, right now its usually ~ 12 riflemen for 32 players, so 33%.

I'd say a good realistic value would be to turn this on its head ( 33% non bolt ). That isnt really a small change.

(But man O MAN would it change the HC gameplay for the better )
I think that sounds about right.

Also, I added stamina affecting sway to the OP.

Thanks for the votes so far guys! Remember: The more constructive and doable our suggestions are, the better our chances.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would love a mode like this but it has been suggested before and rejected with the motivation that we can create this mode ourselves. I hope TWI change their minds though.

I suggest a increased bandaging time. What I would like to see most in a mode like this though and would be happy if that was the only difference is somewhat more realistic loadouts and class limits.

Upvote 0
I would love a mode like this but it has been suggested before and rejected with the motivation that we can create this mode ourselves. I hope TWI change their minds though.

I suggest a increased bandaging time. What I would like to see most in a mode like this though and would be happy if that was the only difference is somewhat more realistic loadouts and class limits.
The TWI post rejecting such a mode was before the full release. I think that it's now more apparent that this kind of mode is a good idea, so they might change their minds.

As for bandaging, I agree, but I don't know how hard this would be to do considering the animations and stuff. I'll add it to the OP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that sounds about right.

Also, I added stamina affecting sway to the OP.

Thanks for the votes so far guys! Remember: The more constructive and doable our suggestions are, the better our chances.

A usual German squad at the time of Stalingrad consisted of a squad leader (nco) and the Mg team and the rest were supporting riflemen so around 10 guys. The Squad leader usually had an Mp40. Then you had the Mg gunner and his helper. Maybe one guy with the G41, and the rest were good old fashioned k98 riflemen.

NCO- 1 Mp40

Mg gunner- 1 Mg34

1 Semi-auto G41

7 Supporting riflemen

Now in a 64 player server it would roughly be a German platoon, so triple these numbers

3 Squad leaders with Mp-40
3 Mg gunners
3/4 Semi-auto
21 K98 supporting riflemen
1 Leutnant or platoon leader with Mp40

I think that when its a 16 player server the Platoon leader position should be locked and there should only be one NCO position open. So

1 NCO
1 Mg34
1 G41
5 riflemen

I also think it wouldn't be super rare if some of the riflemen were given mp40's for the close combat fighting, but the ratio of automatics/semi-auto to bolt action is a bit skewed

Upvote 0
I really want to see the teams built so there is 1 SL 1 elite 1 MG 1 sniper and then 6 or 8 rifles.

but

the next SL and elite do not even open up for the taking until there are another 6 rifles.

In other words, you have to another squad worth of rifles before there is another squad leader.

The first of those new riflemen could get a message saying "do you want to be SL?" and if he says no then it goes to the next and so on.

Upvote 0
A usual German squad at the time of Stalingrad consisted of a squad leader (nco) and the Mg team and the rest were supporting riflemen so around 10 guys. The Squad leader usually had an Mp40. Then you had the Mg gunner and his helper. Maybe one guy with the G41, and the rest were good old fashioned k98 riflemen.

NCO- 1 Mp40

Mg gunner- 1 Mg34

1 Semi-auto G41

7 Supporting riflemen

Now in a 64 player server it would roughly be a German platoon, so triple these numbers

3 Squad leaders with Mp-40
3 Mg gunners
3/4 Semi-auto
21 K98 supporting riflemen
1 Leutnant or platoon leader with Mp40

I think that when its a 16 player server the Platoon leader position should be locked and there should only be one NCO position open. So

1 NCO
1 Mg34
1 G41
5 riflemen

I also think it wouldn't be super rare if some of the riflemen were given mp40's for the close combat fighting, but the ratio of automatics/semi-auto to bolt action is a bit skewed
That sounds pretty good, especially if there are a few "assault" guys replacing some of the rifles, representing riflemen with MP40s. I'd say 2-3, so 19-18 riflemen on 64 players.
How would it be for the soviet side?

Upvote 0