• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Lack of a really good zombie RPG

Has anyone else noticed the lack of a really immersive, realistic zombie game, where you would find weapons and food, kill zombies and barricade yourself in a building, I've been looking for one for ages but have come up short.

I would love this, myself.

Here's an idea of how it could be realistic in terms of infection and spread:

Instead of being thrust into a swarm of zombies, a player starts in a location of his choice in a rather large city, and he's basically having a normal day, and there's a few (less than 10) zombies that spawn in random places in the map and infect people who turn at a rather fast rate, making a greater total of zombies as time goes on.

The infection spreads and becomes a greater threat every passing "day" (think GTA time) and it's up to the player to rescue survivors (like Deadrising) or fortify a building (like a less rubbish Fort Zombie, or even Gmod) or make an escape vehicle by adding all the parts together (like Pikmin on the Gamecube).

A wonderful mix of games. Deadrising, GTA, Pikmin and Fort Zombie/Gmod. :IS2:

Upvote 0
Your (rogue like) prayers have been answered :D

http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com/

Only in alpha right now, but completely playable and really fun. Set in a 'randomly' generated city where you have to scavenge for food, weapons, ammo, tools, healing items etc.

City is made up of different districts (residential/commercial/park) with sewers and subway bellow ground and a few unique buildings, the hospital and police station.

Hunger and sleep system in it so you have to eat regularly and find somewhere where you can barricade yourself in to go to sleep. Food rots over time (military rations/tins last longer etc) and sleep is based on sound so gunfire/barriers being attacked/npcs shouting can wake you up.

Can trade with others and also recruit them if you have the right skill. Npcs also may tell you some information about where they saw items/zombies.

Whole bunch of skills (15?) like lightsleeper, carpenter, strong that you gain and get too choose one from a random set of three for every day you survive.

There is a little quest/story in so far but its mostly just freeplay, but there's a whole bunch of options for the scale of the zombie invasion and how it develops (how many and how tough the zombies are and how they 'evolve'), how big the city and districts are and the rough % of survivors in the city though I believe things such as when the military begin to show up can't be set.

Upvote 0
Dead State

A Zombie RPG in production by Obsidian/Troika veterans Doublebear :)

http://www.deadstate.doublebearproductions.com/

Dead State is a compelling, high-tension RPG set at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse - a deadly illness is rampaging through the world, turning those infected into the walking dead. As society is beginning to fall apart, the player must organize a scant handful of allies, working on fortifying a shelter, scouting for food and supplies, making uncertain alliances with others, and attempting to hold together a group as humanity teeters on the brink of extinction. And although the zombies lurk as an ever present threat, the biggest obstacle to the player may just be other humans with the same goal: survival at any cost.

Upvote 0
I've heard of Dead State and that sounds great, but I also hear it's turn-based. I'm definitely gonna watch that one, and hopefully get it once it comes out. :D

And Rogue Survivor? Sounds like a great concept but I cannot bring myself to play a game that looks like that. :( Same thing between me and Dwarf Fortress.

Upvote 0
I'll have to agree with C-Gibby on this one. I'm not a graphics whore at all, but at the same time i wont play anything that looks like a DOS game because it feels so limited, no matter what goes on under the hood. It's not immersive, and because of that i probably couldnt care less about the survivor.

We need an open world shooter with multiple towns, multiple ways to get off the map like finding a radio station and calling in back-up, finding a boat, or finding your own heli or airplane, stuff like that.
An infection that spreads dynamically, and a code that spawns useful stuff just as randomly.
Other stuff might be hospitals where you could collect antidote to the virus if you have been bitten, but filled with zombies ofcourse since it probably is an overrun evac centre, or military bases.

It'd be great if it was filled with shamblers and some infected, instead of just infected running all the time. I dislike the special abilities some zeds and infected have in L4D and Killing Floor. I like my zombies as simple shamblers, but an occasional infected-type might be cool as they are not very unrealistic (just think of them as long-dead zombies or freshly killed zombies, having more intact muscle tissue etc).

The only thing that could come close right now is making a zombie-mission for ArmA 2 with Charon's undead mod which adds both shamblers and infected, allowing the infection to spread around the entire island randomly through use of civilian module which randomly spawns citizens across the map. Zombies will seek them out and hunt them all over, increasing the horde in size over time.
Downside is that somebody has to place all the interesting stuff himself, which is a LOT of work if you want to fill an entire island (Chernarus for example is 20x20km full of towns, forests, hunter cabins etc). None of that stuff will be random.
And ofcourse ArmA2 is not ideally suited for close combat :p

Upvote 0
The only thing that could come close right now is making a zombie-mission for ArmA 2 with Charon's undead mod which adds both shamblers and infected, allowing the infection to spread around the entire island randomly through use of civilian module which randomly spawns citizens across the map. Zombies will seek them out and hunt them all over, increasing the horde in size over time.
Downside is that somebody has to place all the interesting stuff himself, which is a LOT of work if you want to fill an entire island (Chernarus for example is 20x20km full of towns, forests, hunter cabins etc). None of that stuff will be random.

I did an undead mission once. It was epix. :IS2:
But the civilian module? I never knew about that! But yeah, Arma 2 does suck when it comes to close-quarter fighting.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Resident Evil: Outbreak series was revived with a PC port? Or a 3rd installment?

Upvote 0
I'll have to agree with C-Gibby on this one. I'm not a graphics whore at all, but at the same time i wont play anything that looks like a DOS game because it feels so limited, no matter what goes on under the hood. It's not immersive, and because of that i probably couldnt care less about the survivor.

We need an open world shooter with multiple towns, multiple ways to get off the map like finding a radio station and calling in back-up, finding a boat, or finding your own heli or airplane, stuff like that.
An infection that spreads dynamically, and a code that spawns useful stuff just as randomly.
Other stuff might be hospitals where you could collect antidote to the virus if you have been bitten, but filled with zombies ofcourse since it probably is an overrun evac centre, or military bases.

It'd be great if it was filled with shamblers and some infected, instead of just infected running all the time. I dislike the special abilities some zeds and infected have in L4D and Killing Floor. I like my zombies as simple shamblers, but an occasional infected-type might be cool as they are not very unrealistic (just think of them as long-dead zombies or freshly killed zombies, having more intact muscle tissue etc).

The other big issue is that the more the infection spreads the more it bogs your machine.

Upvote 0
I really like the idea of shamblers and a first person type of game. Think of how tense some parts of condemned were, that kind of atmosphere and in your face melee violence would lend itself well to a zombie rpg.

I'd want guns and resources to be scarce, tough choices around other survivors and multiple paths/outcomes.

Why hasn't someone made this!

Upvote 0
Fort Zombie is as close as you're going to get right now. It was a great start, but the game is plagued by too many issues and too generic a flavor. It's still fun, though, until the very end of the game.

Rogue-likes
I know this is personal preference, so if you're just stuck on that, read no further.

But honestly, I think anyone with a real love for gaming has to be able to play these games. "Don't care what's under the hood" just makes me cringe. Think about that analogy as it actually applies to cars. Rogue-like games have some of the best mechanics, the ONLY things they lack are modern UIs, graphics and sounds. Rogue-survivor is great.

I guess I take this position because I'm developing one of these kinds of games myself right now, working with some of the same people who helped on Rogue Survivor...and over the last two years I've played a lot of roguelikes and have come to really appreciate what they can do that modern games are just simply incapable of, because of budget limitations and what they think will sell.

I dunno. I just urge anyone who has that reaction ACTUALLY sit down and play some of these games sometime. If you enjoy reading books, you can play a rogue-like. The only thing really stopping you is your own need to have someone else dictate all your immersion for you. And, I mean, they're ALL free. Compare that to the disappointment you feel when you're let down by a game you paid for. What's there to lose except an hour? (Or several hundred hours, in the case of Dwarf Fortress.)

Teh uber zombie game
I think we won't have to wait terribly long. Zombies are still at the height of their popularity right now. AMC has a zombie mini-series starting on Halloween, ffs. Just like when WW2 was "the" FPS genre de' jour, it took several years of spastic concept development before someone really hit on some magic formulas. L4D, Dead Rising, a few others have already explored the survival-lite and FPS side of things...so what's next is the MMOs, the splinter genres and the genre busters. We're about due for them I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IMO rockstar can definetly pull it off. only thing is then the pc version will be ****

that is, after they make gta V-london

Upvote 0