• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation KF New Specimen : The Brute (under construction)

He could cover his head with his arms so you can't headshot him :B

yes, he could perform flurrys exposing his head for short periods

good idea!

his gloves could be metal to make them more of bullet shields

I wish I just knew how to implement it in-game (when its done)

well, thats the hard bit, cus you'll have to animate the skeleton with your own custom animations and give it its very own AI

the way i did it for jedi knight was....

you weigh the mesh to the skeleton provided in the SDK

that created a character model to port into the game

the skeleton was fed animations by outside files, so getting the model into the game to replace another model or to make an additional model using animations already ingame is the easy bit

its the A.I and animations that i find difficult to get my head around

and to answer your earlier question, 10000-14000 polys should be fine mate if your providing LOD support - 18000 is a bit much if you were going to spawn waves and waves of them

UT3 characters are like 5000-7000 polys

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wish I just knew how to implement it in-game (when its done)

Well Yomommassis said he'll help you with that so just wait for it.
You both use 3ds max so he can tell you what to look out for and stuff, no problem.

From what I've heard, getting the animation done is the part that prevents most things from making it into the game so I'd not be too worried.

Upvote 0
is there anyone on these boards that can point me to the tools used to make the SDK AI and animations? would i have to specify kill boxes on the model? of is this done on the skeleton already?

is there a hierarchy system so that when you shoot at arms, they come off? do you have to model the dismembered limbs under the body parts designed to fall off?

whos Yomommassis? is he a developer?

many thanks

Upvote 0
is Yomommassis a dev? i have some questions:

i would like to know what tools are used to edit the AI and the animations

or what tools/format where used to import the animations into the game

what folder or compressed file/s holds the character models and animations and AI

RE: dismembering - is there a hierarchy on the bone structure? do we have to model the severed limbs underneath? or does the game use caps?

what tools are used to export from 3dsmax to game format?

to we have to draw the kill boxes, to specify headshot zones or are they already drawn into the skeleton?

im at work asking all these questions, when i get home ill take a look in my folders - but something tells me ill still have many of these questions when i finished looking

is there any basic tutorials or short descriptions on getting a model into killing floor?

can it all be done using the UT3 tools?

i know its prolly possible to edit the models using the ut3 tools, im more interested in the animations and AI side of things

just the names of the tools would be enough so i can get started, or is all this locked away and only trip wire have access to editing such?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The unreal editor does not have any native tools for modeling or animation. You do all of that in external programs and then bring the chracter into the game either on an existing rig or on a custom made rig. ActorX is the tool for exporting into the Unreal Editor.

From there you can edit AI using uscript either in editor or your favorite text editing program by extending an existing AI class.

Upvote 0
nice job - although the hardest work i think community specimens would benefit the game more than maps or weapons.

if he's a charger - how about making him a cyclops because horo wanted to remove his depth perception, so as soon as he sees a player directly- he runs at it irrespective of distance.
Because of this if you keep a spec between you and him he just trundles forward slowly.
if he gets headshot he goes berzerk (cos he's blind) and then goes into a rage (i'm thinking zangief's spinning clothes line) that takes out players and spec's alike in the vicinity.
remove the skin from midway up his forarms down to his hands and enlarge them so they look like mutated slabs of bone, maybe fused into a fist.
He can bang them together boxer style (but making a loud boney crack) to indicate he's about to charge.

Upvote 0
FYI - http://www.wolfpackclan.com/modules/newbbex/810-18-hemis-new-specimen.html

we are holding the same topic on our very own website

we are looking at ways to make him unique - so hes not just another flesh pounder

I need to start thinking about what he does ingame - if he blocks head shots.... and think about balance, and also gotta think about the coding limitations of the A.I

I think he will move fairly fast with his hands up, and when he gets closes he punches you away from your group or into zombies - then he puts his hands back up again and looks for another player to punch

but the whole "punching away" mechanic will have to be researched - it will basically be like the shot gun recoil but x10000

i know the ut3 engine can do it as when you get hit by a rocket you go flying

if he just charges and punches the crap out of you thats pretty much like FP which we dont want

so this guy is like a crowd control specimen - he goes into the group and then punches people around the map away from the members - effectively making healers with healing guns more useful

ill think about it while im playing tonight

i think we are planning on having him bare knuckled also, no funny boxing gloves or boney hands, just normal hands, but large fists - remember, flesh pounder has gloves

hemi mentioned putting plates on the back of his arms, so when he does his boxing stance he creates a shield against headshots - i think its brilliant

Last edited:
Upvote 0
http://www.mostimpressive.nl/?p=225

Ive created a bit of backstory...hope I got the facts straight...please advice if im wrong so I can correct it :

The Brute

Horzine first experiments included worn down boxing champions of the london districts that had long forgotten their glory days as reigning masters of the sport. Degraded to simple street-thugs they had little left to live for and applied themselves for the biogenic experiments, hoping they would regain their strenght to rise again. Little did they know that Horzine had other plans with their former “brute” strength. Placing muscle stimulators under the skin and revitalizing the tissue underneath was the first step, but it produced undesired effects… The fluids had to be injected constantly, so Horzine placed a metal structure in the lower arms of the specimen. Covered with metal plating the structure in the arms fed the muscle tissue every 5 minutes with stimuli. The only problem was the tissue becomming bruised from the outside…oh and not to forget the horrible pain every injection gave to the specimen. The project was abandon due to loss of too many scientists working on the project, and other specimens were proving to be easier controlled. The specimen’s were put in stasis till further notice…..at least until the outbreak…

im a total dyslectic...I spelled Horzine "Horizon" lol...corrected

Last edited:
Upvote 0