• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-CarryOnUp

I took a quick look in the editor (Beta5) and have identified a couple areas to work on with regards to optimization.

The biggest problem I initially noticed was the overuse of anti-portals. You have 66 when you should never really have more than 20 in a map. More is not always better because each anti-portal can actually slow the map down if not used optimally. I would cut each floor down to 2-3 anti-portals that cover as much space as you can. The other leftover bits can be left with just the BSP floor.

The next largest contributor to the FPS drop will most likely be the lack of cull distances on static meshes throughout the map. I know it takes a lot of time but all static meshes should have a cull distance assigned to them. At the very least prioritize and give cull distances to the higher poly meshes.

The way the map is designed I can't really see a benefit from zoning off each floor but you may want to try it on a floor or two, just as a test. You should absolutely zone off all of the trader rooms. Right now all of those static meshes inside them are being rendered throughout the map because they don't have cull distances and aren't zoned.

If you need any clarification just ask. Hope this helps. :cool:

Upvote 0
The lack of trader zoning was an error on my part. I brought it over from another map without its zoning sheet.

I'm thinking to zone off the ground level and the one above that as these will be more populated than the levels above to follow a more natural construction site flow. This will also block out the high polycount vehicles outside the perimeter. I've never used cull distances on static meshes before but the vehicles could certainly do with it as there's only a need to view them from the edges of the building they're located at.

Thanks for the useful feedback and advice.

Upvote 0
I've just tried your beta 5 map and its completely lag free on my machine. FPS at its lowest was the expected 60. Hopefully this will still be the case once you are finished decorating. Your map is pretty sound but i'd recommend you play it alot to see where YOU as a player are dominating the enemies. for example on the ground floor i kept running backwards around and around the building and the only ones that could keep up was the crawlers and FPs. Might be worth putting something in the way to stop players from doing this. also zombies did not try to take shortcuts through the building when i was running around the edges.

Upvote 0