• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Iron sites are too steady IMO

Krane65

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2012
Especially for the mosin nagant. I have the pleasure of owning a 91/30 and I can say that thing is like holding a long 2x4. I move around much more than the game characters do when shooting free handed. The Russians in RO2 can pretty much hold their weapon with the sites barely moving at all.

I don't know maybe I'm just really shaky and the Russians werent?

Last edited:
unless you're a masochist, like some of the folks around here.

Nice one Cocaine. Maybe a bit masochistic but then again we might look at "the other folks" and just give it a bit of a grin, thinking:
"These kids and their twitchy FPS fingers nowadays?!";) "Reward without effort, everything at all times and so on..."
Realism does not give me the sense of achievement nor does it feel immersive to me.

Truth is "these folks" you speak of like the game to be different from other FPS, maybe they like the slower, more tactical and (at least a bit) more authentic approach. These folks probably like even the maybe for some other folks boring history around it.

Upvote 0
Realistic doesn't have to mean masochistic. Done right, realism makes the game more intuitive, because you don't have to try to discern any arcane loopholes in the game design, it just works as expected. Of course, that means it's not likely to break any ground on emergent behavior, either.
"These kids and their twitchy FPS fingers nowadays?!";) "Reward without effort, everything at all times and so on..."
"Old men and their senility, wanting everything slowed down to a turn-based game so that their sluggish brains and arthritic hands can have a chance of keeping up."

Realism doesn't mean throwing in whatever arbitrary handicap you feel like. Arbitrary behavior is all well and good, but at least be honest about what it really is. The term "realistic" doesn't magically make a concept innately superior on a game design level, especially not when you're misusing the term to begin with.

Upvote 0
Iron sights should be removed entirely in my opinion. Unrealisticl representation of actual sights, too defined, too much clarity. When I look down the sight of my replica Nagant its a blur...TRIPWIRE MAKE THE IRONSIGHTS blurry! Demand refound. Remove Iron Sights from realism poll ahoy!

yeah, and while you're at it, make it double vision (Diplopia) when you're aiming down the sight, since the soldiers was tought to aim with both eyes open :)

Upvote 0
yeah, and while you're at it, make it double vision (Diplopia) when you're aiming down the sight, since the soldiers was tought to aim with both eyes open :)

Wow I never realized if I close one eye when shooting or keep them both open.... I haven't payed attention to what I do before... Next time I'm at the range I'm going to pay attention to that. It's funny some of the stuff we humans do without realizing it. :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Iron sights should be removed entirely in my opinion. Unrealisticl representation of actual sights, too defined, too much clarity. When I look down the sight of my replica Nagant its a blur...TRIPWIRE MAKE THE IRONSIGHTS blurry! Demand refound. Remove Iron Sights from realism poll ahoy!

Well yes and no... there is sight picture and site alignment. I learned from the best of them in the Corps. Your focus should be on the front site post! both won't be blurry. If both are blurry, well you go UNQ... or you don't get into the service at all lol...

for the REAL authentic-mode people out there how bout something where you have to both line up your sites and then site-in on your target all the while controlling (manually) your breathing and also your focus from rear site picture to the front site post focus ... yeah shooting in real life is not easy... when i play a GAME i don't expect it to be at all too difficult. :p

Upvote 0
Wow I never realized if I close one eye when shooting or keep them both open.... I haven't payed attention to what I do before... Next time I'm at the range I'm going to pay attention to that. It's funny some of the stuff we humans do without realizing it. :eek:
wait a minute, you started a thread to say the guns are too steady as compared to real life, yet don't know if you shoot with both eyes open? i'm gonna go out on a limb here, and guess you've been shooting with your weak eye closed. i'm also going to guess that after you get a lot more practice, you start to see how steady that rifle can get. especially if someone shows you the right way to hold it. order yourself a couple crates of surplus ammo and go have fun! a guy should never have less than two full cans or 880 rounds. ;)

Upvote 0
wait a minute, you started a thread to say the guns are too steady as compared to real life, yet don't know if you shoot with both eyes open? i'm gonna go out on a limb here, and guess you've been shooting with your weak eye closed. i'm also going to guess that after you get a lot more practice, you start to see how steady that rifle can get. especially if someone shows you the right way to hold it. order yourself a couple crates of surplus ammo and go have fun! a guy should never have less than two full cans or 880 rounds. ;)

Haha indeed. Did have one surplus box of ammo (440) but i'm probably down to 300 or so rounds now. It's so much fun and it's easy to blow away 50 rounds or more in one trip to the range. Of course that comes with a purple and blue shoulder for the next week (but well worth it) :D

Upvote 0
While I haven't fired a Mosin or a Kar98, I have fired a Lee Enfield and I must say, if you haven't got it resting on top of something such as a piece of cover or even sandbags, then it is extremely difficult to keep the weapon sight steady when aiming. There are always very noticeable trembles unless you've got the hand skill of a brain surgeon.

Upvote 0
Haha indeed. Did have one surplus box of ammo (440) but i'm probably down to 300 or so rounds now. It's so much fun and it's easy to blow away 50 rounds or more in one trip to the range. Of course that comes with a purple and blue shoulder for the next week (but well worth it) :D
the bruise goes away after a few hundred rounds. i haven't had one in five years. there was the day, when i felt like you do know though. now i pound them all night, three times a week and do not feel the round. the point is, you really aren't in a position to say that the mosin doesn't sway enough in game. are you? you're still learning how to shoot it.
my apologies for sounding like a dick. it's because i am one. ;)
come to my range one day. i'm a rso at coyote point in the s.f. bay area. i'll convince you to become a member. ;)

Upvote 0
While I haven't fired a Mosin or a Kar98, I have fired a Lee Enfield and I must say, if you haven't got it resting on top of something such as a piece of cover or even sandbags, then it is extremely difficult to keep the weapon sight steady when aiming. There are always very noticeable trembles unless you've got the hand skill of a brain surgeon.
the rest is everything! it's not called "bench-rest'" shooting for naught!

Upvote 0
Exactly, at the moment resting has little effect on gameplay because the guns are so steady without any resting at all! Increase sway (and introduce sight misalignment, which is not present at all at the moment) and force us to use cover a little more.
what?
i'll go with that. make the gun sway when moving or tired and using free-aim. but when i throw it on a windowsill, i want that summa-biatch to be rock-steady if my stamina meter isn't in the red.

Upvote 0