• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I won't be buying this game anytime soon

BigGun

Oct 25, 2011
Guys I have been following the forums since this game was released and I have played RO1 for years and thoroughly love that game. However after reading these forums I can't bring myself to buy this game yet. Why?

1) My PC is 4 years old but runs RO1 at the highest detail level (w2ithout any glitches or bugs) and I still love that game.

2) Why would a build my next PC when guys who have the latest and greatest hardware are having all kinds of problems running this game? I'm sorry but this sequel sounds a lot like IL2 and Cliffs of Dover which I am also refusing to buy until that is stabilized.

3) I haven't seen anything compelling enough or new in RO2 to make me buy it yet. There are too few tanks, maps, etc. It seems like its just more of the same from RO1 with a different engine and eye candy. I'm sorry but I won't drop the $'s at this point to buy this game. Money's tight with this up and down stock market, budget deficits, health care ....

Give me a stable platform, a tried and true mod like "Darkest Hour" and a forum of happy users and then I will build my next PC and rush out and buy this game. I will continue to follow these forums and play RO1 at least 10 hours per week until this happens.

Good luck developers on getting this game optimized - I know you can do it. Once that happens I will be happy to put money in your and Bill Gates pockets.:)

Yes. Very reasonable.
However I can also list many games including combat mission shock force, il2 and rise of flight which have become favorites of mine even after very shakey starts. The original il2 was also buggy and unfinished at release.

What I can also say is that the games that have started off shakey but had the long term support turn out to be my favorites because they bring something unique to the table. They are always groundbreaking. Expansions generally come over a long 5-10yr period that plug into the original. I could go on.

As you say. Wait for a bit and the game will mature. For me it is enjoyable now and my favorite FPS. ARMA2 is the only thing that comes close, but ARMA2 is much more time consuming to play.

I must make a few points to you for a small rebuff:

a) This game is half the price of other blockbuster FPS releases. At least where I live this game is less than 50% the price of say BF3.
b) The dev team is small and will keep improving the game if past experience is to be taken into account.
c) The community is a long term one. As the game improves and keeps adding to itself for free people will come back. Especially people mesmerized by the BF3 release.
d) There are so many amazing ground breaking features in RO2 that I have become used to that simply are not in other games in the same genre - BF3, mw3, cod etc. RO2 is one of a kind. Nothing else gives you action and intensity without compromising on realism. For me it does not feel like the game is moving too fast (its urban and larger more open maps would demonstrate the game is slow enough), it feels like I am actually in Stalingrad where fighting was taking place at extreme close quarters... to escape arty trenches were meters away from each other. Its close its personal but its not so fast as games like BF3 where men run like they have batteries.

P.S. my only real problem with the game at the moment is wanting the more specialized weapon unlocks to be a server enable choice on ranked servers.

Reactions: MarioBava
Upvote 0
Guys I have been following the forums since this game was released and I have played RO1 for years and thoroughly love that game. However after reading these forums I can't bring myself to buy this game yet. Why?

1) My PC is 4 years old but runs RO1 at the highest detail level (w2ithout any glitches or bugs) and I still love that game.

2) Why would a build my next PC when guys who have the latest and greatest hardware are having all kinds of problems running this game? I'm sorry but this sequel sounds a lot like IL2 and Cliffs of Dover which I am also refusing to buy until that is stabilized.

3) I haven't seen anything compelling enough or new in RO2 to make me buy it yet. There are too few tanks, maps, etc. It seems like its just more of the same from RO1 with a different engine and eye candy. I'm sorry but I won't drop the $'s at this point to buy this game. Money's tight with this up and down stock market, budget deficits, health care ....

Give me a stable platform, a tried and true mod like "Darkest Hour" and a forum of happy users and then I will build my next PC and rush out and buy this game. I will continue to follow these forums and play RO1 at least 10 hours per week until this happens.

Good luck developers on getting this game optimized - I know you can do it. Once that happens I will be happy to put money in your and Bill Gates pockets.:)

A post that's honest but not flaming or raging.... it's refreshing.

I understand your position, and even before the beta was released I was suggesting to people that if they don't like glitchy gaming or the headaches that come with new releases, that they might want to put their purchase on hold for a couple of months until everything is smoothed out & let us lab rats try and sort things out.

My computer is only a few months old and designed for 3D animation, video editing, etc.... and the only weak spot on it is the video card, but RO2 has worked great for me and imo, is far more superior than RO1.

Granted RO1 has much more content than RO2 currently, but that's to be expected at this stage, and I completely understand some people are having issues with performance and others don't like how some RO1 elements just didn't make it.

There's a mixed reception over RO2 and the forum communities here and over at Steam have people conflicting their views on each other...... I'd probably just stay out of the mess and come back in another month or two to see how things are going.

You might even love RO2 and how it plays right now, it might even play perfectly fine on your system without any issues...... but that'd be a risk you'd have to take and determine for yourself.

I never bothered with pre-ordering a game or trying to get into any beta testing of a game because I've seen all of this happen many times before with other games and how the community can freak out over certain things..... I still remember being in the middle of the Half-Life 2 fiasco where Valve delayed it for well over a year beyond their original release date.

But with my experience with RO:CA, RO1 and KF and how Tripwire works hard on making their games solid, I knew there would be issues at the start and I knew they'd get those issues resolved eventually. They haven't left any of their games in a pile of crap yet and they haven't abandoned any of them while broken to jump to another game.... their support for their games imo is unmatched, even by the bigger gaming companies out there..... so I was willing to take the risk of pre-ordering a game that could have been completely unplayable for me and I came out the other end with a game that has worked far better than I was expecting, even in the beta stage.

Others were not so lucky.

Reactions: Vyllis
Upvote 0
Lets remember however that the part of the community who are having issues with performance is a relatively small but a noicy part. Reading the forums offers a bit biased opinion, as the people posting are almost always the people having issues. It might seem a huge portion of gamers are having issues when in reality those who are not having issues stay silent and enjoy gaming.

For the rest of your points, TWI has shown awesome commitment post-launch and there will be much more to see. I'm counting on it :)

Have fun elsewhere, but do expect that ROHOS will come back to haunt you :D

Upvote 0
I am a ROost veteran and I was quite dissapointed with RO2 mostly because I can't really enjoy it. I often end up playing for twenty or 30 minutes and then I'm done. It feels like It's away to drifted away from RO1 and this innovative stuff found in RO1 seems to be replaced with 'by-the-book'-features. Don't mistake me; RO2 is not a bad game in general but as a sequel it simply misses quite a lot of good stuff. So anyone that expect RO2 to be a full blown sequel to ROost may aswell be dissapointed. However, I do have to mention that RO2 isn't a finished product, It's still evolving, so I guess the future will decide a lot. But at the moment I don't feel very happy especially not since I've beenw waiting for so long.

Reactions: GRIZZLY and Damo
Upvote 0
[...]

2) Why would a build my next PC when guys who have the latest and greatest hardware are having all kinds of problems running this game? I'm sorry but this sequel sounds a lot like IL2 and Cliffs of Dover which I am also refusing to buy until that is stabilized.[...]

I'm running Red Orchestra 2 on:

E6600 2x 2,4ghz
2gb Ram
Cheap Mainboard from Asrock
Nvidia 9600gt

Expect the graphic card my pc components are about 6 years old and where pretty cheap at that time though, bought the graphic card about 4 years ago and it was just a midclass card at that time though. I can run the game on high graphic settings on 1280x1024 at 40fps pretty smooth. Once the put more effort in the performance I doubt you'll need a high spec pc.

Upvote 0

I wish I held off preordering it, but I had blind faith in TWI, something i will not be doing at all for any dev.

I was really looking forward to the hero system, not the one we have now but the one they intended.

Last edited:
Reactions: DasFist and Golf33
Upvote 0
I wholeheartedly suggest that you should wait and see how things go.
There was sharp drop in player base, both new comers and ro series vets alike.
This alone gives anyone a significant warning as for game's current condition.

If you don't have uber rig with quad core +3.5?Ghz, 8G ram, recent gfx card, you might encounter so many bugs that will turn you right off.

memory leaking, sound bug still around, and unless you're ok with rather arcadic rail gun shoot out, you might not like ro2 than ro1.

Someone up there stated forum complaints are only small fraction of whole user base, while this can't be proven right or wrong as I never saw statistics on this issue.

Then what about ppl who had technical issue but just tired to even try to fix it or complain it on forum and abandon the game?

I for one, have lots of fps games COD MW2, GRAW2, BFBC2, Crysis wars, Crysis 2, RO1, ARMA2, ARMA2 OA, GTA4, red faction guerrila, red faction armaggeddon.
Most are very cpu taxing, gfx heavy games and yes, most have nicer graphic than ro2.

I like fps and action games, and have i5 760 2.8GHz, gtx 460 1G, 4G ram, cheap dedi sound card, yet all the games above run fine without much issue.

RO2? It's hell of issues after issues, memory leaking, sound crackling, micro stuttering, dipping fps, broken 3D sound system can't figure out sound direction.

RO2 is the worst error fillled fps game I've ever bought to date. < no matter who says otherwise, this is very truth about my experience with ro2.
buggiest game I ever bought to date.

Last edited:
Reactions: DasFist
Upvote 0

Good choice. This game is not worth your money...yet though. Wait a year. Things can only get better.

Upvote 0
Good choice. This game is not worth your money...yet though. Wait a year. Things can only get better.

Serious question, the only thing you do here is talking bad at the current state of the game, so why do don't you wait a year, come back and have fun instead of talking the whole time how bad this game is.

Upvote 0
Serious question, the only thing you do here is talking bad at the current state of the game, so why do don't you wait a year, come back and have fun instead of talking the whole time how bad this game is.
Maybe you should read with more attention instead from out of your prejudices.

Upvote 0