• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I won't be buying this game anytime soon

Question: If I were to buy the game through Steam and load it on my current rig would I be able to re download it onto my new build in February 2012 and not pay a 2'nd time?

!

Yes ofcourse !! You have the same steam profile so....
It is impossible to play it on 2 pc`s together but you can
install it on 2 pc`s and play it on 1 and next time on pc 2.

Upvote 0
To OP.

Sincerely, I really want to say that there is high chance that your system might not handle the deliberate overload of RO2 unless you sacrifice graphical option fairly hard.

I have i5 760 2.8GHz, 4G ram DDR3, GTX460 1G gigabyte udv?
7200? RPM? hard drive, windows 7 home premium, audiotrack maya5.1 pos sound card

1. Texture hi
(if set to med, game really look pretty bad)

2. Detail mode(world detail as various scattered objects, dust blowing)=hi
(if detail set to med, there's no dust, really rare clean battlefield looking very clean and barren)

3. Fxquality detail =med

4. character detail = low
everything else at low.

no AA, no Vsync, aniso X16
no bloom, no depth of field, no post process effect
shadow aggressively diminished in resolution to 32
texturemaxlodsize aggressively diminished to 1024 or 512 with LODbias 1 or2
Particlelodbias=1 (lesser graphic setting than 0)
SkeletalmeshLODbias=1 (less detailed character detail at close distance)

Game still stutters hard in mp with more than 16 ppl on.
Sound breaks up if many gun sound or auto sound go off simulteneously.
Arty is guaranteed sound breaker

small map fps from 35-80? with stuttering, sound breaking
big map fps from 30-65 with more stuttering, sound breaking
In all maps fps dips if more than 16 ppl playing on server. (no exception)

I can run GTA4 (unoptimized game in general) almost fantastically with avg fps of 56.xx but RO2 fps is very inconsistent, stutters, sound breaks, memory leaks pretty often.

All these leads to ONE CONCLUSION.
Game is rushed, and code is not optimized.

Do you know recent flight simulator il2 cliff of dover?
RO2 is kind of similar to that game, full of bugs, stuttering, mundane sound quality, sound breaking,

IL2 COD too is only allowed to run fine for very limited users with uber system, (quad faster than 3.5GHz, 8G ram, gfx powerful than 570 or sli, cf)

RO2 should run far better with current contents yet its code is poorly written due to deadline, it ends up requiring much more system requirement than what it actually need.

There are few cases that some ppl with average spec luckily have rare issue (I presume they sacrificed lots of options)
But I'd say it's very very very very very risky to choose ro2 in current state.
For the same reason, I don't even look at il2 cliff of dover as it's rushed mess.

With 40 bucks you can chooose much safer, much solidified options guaranteed by lots of ppl.
In terms of technical integrity, RO2 was horrible, absolutely horrible choice among my pc game purchase history.
I played lots of fps, so I know manageble graphic is important yet, smooth performance is absolutely required for good fps experience.

If you really want the game, wait till so many technical issues are somewhat ironed out or some serious mod comes out.
I bet my steam library....that you can find better ways to spend 40 bucks than putting into current state of RO2.
Please THIS IS VERY RISKY CHOICE, FOR THIS KIND OF RUSHED, ISSUEFUL OF GAME, LONG AND HARD CONSIDERATION IS NEEDED BEFORE PURCHASE DECISION... REALLY...

Last edited:
Reactions: Viersbovsky
Upvote 0
If you have actually played RO1 for years and like the game and you have not actually played RO2 or even own it, then you cannot judge at all whether you like it or not, or whether you should be buying it or not (and with your Oct 2011 join date I doubt you spent much time at all playing RO1 or like I am about to say you joined just to complain....but haven't actually played so are an even lower form of complainer).

These forums are only a very small portion of the actual game community; most players never come to the forums, and those that do tend in a much higher proportion to have a "complaint" about the game and are here to whine.

The game costs under $40. Just buy it. Play it for 2 or 3 months, then leave a review as an RO vet of the previous game. Only then can you actually speak to anything with any knowledge besides picking and choosing stuff you think might be a problem.

This post you have left is just an uninformed, completely inexperienced review based on you reading the complaints of players who choose to come here to whine.

Ok this kind of reply is exactly why I have never actually joined or wrote anything on these forums before. Seriously can you respond conrstructively without making unfounded conclusions?

I have been playing RO Osftront since 9/4/2006. How do I know this? I opened the CD-Rom box and looked at my Steam acctivation date. I have never had a reason to post because my PC always ran RO1 just fine.

Seriously grow up man. Your name has 73' in which makes you 9 years younger than I, however you behave worse than my 8 year old when he is having a tantrum.

To all of you who provided useful feedback - thanks I appreciate it. I won't be posting here until after I build my next machine. Thanks and good night. I wish the developers well in making this game great - I am looking forward to playing it.

Upvote 0
The CoD games are based off of the Quake 3 engine. It's been modified, but it's core is more than 6 years old.

Not so much optimized as it is undemanding of your hardware. ;)

What is the difference? What matters is how detailed the user think the world is. The users don't care if you managed to optimized a extremely demanding effect that does little difference to make it only very demanding. It's a bit subjective but what matters when comparing games against eachother is what the users think of the graphics.

Upvote 0
I too get fps of 35-80 in sp.

In mp small maps with under 12 ppl fps:35-75. okish frequency of memory leaking, sound breaking, stuttering. still happens though.

In big mp maps with +12 ppl fps 30-65 very inconsistent fps, stuttering, sound breaking, memory leaks all the time.
Stuttering in mp maps with +12 ppl, sound breaking, hard memory leaking in big maps are real problem.

Don't you think just throwing "I have constant +40 fps." can be quite misleading if not presented with proper specific conditions?

I am pretty confident that RO2's rushed poorly written code is causing poor performance when my rig can run GTA4 with consistent 50-100 fps in mp with many ppl, BFBC2 no prob, crysis 2 pc mp(dx11) no problem, alien vs predator 3(dx11) mp no problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I too get fps of 35-80 in sp.

In mp small maps with under 12 ppl fps:35-75. okish frequency of memory leaking, sound breaking, stuttering. still happens though.

In big mp maps with +12 ppl fps 30-65 very inconsistent fps, stuttering, sound breaking, memory leaks all the time.
Stuttering in mp maps with +12 ppl, sound breaking, hard memory leaking in big maps are real problem.

Don't you think just throwing "I have constant +40 fps." can be quite misleading if not presented with proper specific conditions?

I am pretty confident that RO2's rushed poorly written code is causing poor performance when my rig can run GTA4 with consistent 50-100 fps in mp with many ppl, BFBC2 no prob, crysis 2 pc mp(dx11) no problem, alien vs predator 3(dx11) mp no problem.

I never play on 64 servers, as there are problems with lag.
Most of the time I play on 32-48 player servers.
I don't have any stuttering nor sound problems and I have no idea how you determine memory leaks?
Most of the time I've got 50-65 fps, rarely it drops below that, mostly in large maps when you're standing at a map's edge and watching towards the other edge.

Upvote 0
you're right not to buy it anytime soon.

i suggest you check this game out in about 6+ months and see where its at. if there are gonna be mods, they should be out by then and most performance issues will be fixed by then.

As of now i wouldnt recommend it, unless you like semi-arcade like gimmicky shooters.

i live in Los Angeles, yet i find only 2-3 "realism" servers with acceptable pings, so this is kind of a downer.

Im running:

i7-2600k
8gb Ram
2x 6970 crossfire.

my fps? 20-35 on ultra with spikes down to 10fps, and 10-25 on low. what in f***'s name? that massive patch really killed my game

Last edited:
Reactions: Rumo
Upvote 0
I never play on 64 servers, as there are problems with lag.
Most of the time I play on 32-48 player servers.
I don't have any stuttering nor sound problems and I have no idea how you determine memory leaks?
Most of the time I've got 50-65 fps, rarely it drops below that, mostly in large maps when you're standing at a map's edge and watching towards the other edge.

I strongly believe there is something you're not telling that enhance your performance.
Or you're the one of luckiest few that can run without much issues without uber rig.

You might be running ro2 with clean windows 7 vista 32bit install without any other game app or other 3rd party app installed?

Is your hard drive have 1000?RPM? Did you install ro2 in SSD?

I installed ro2 on system drive maybe that's why I get such horrible performance thean again, I can run GTA4 from system drive in general highest setting rather fantastically, so I still doubt ro2 being properly coded, my arse.

What I mean by memory leaking is total memory consumes up to 1.7G and going up steady till it breach 2.0G line, in small maps if I manually free up mem aggressively, it's kinda ok, in big maps memory leaks like crazy.

Is your ro2 really not showing 30 fps with big map and arty with +12 ppl on server?
Really no stuttering or sound breaks with bunch of players firing weapon simultaneously in the vincinity?
I am seriously doubt it that you're one of the luckiest few that can run without much issues without uber rig.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I strongly believe there is something you're not telling that enhance your performance.
Or you're the one of luckiest few that can run without much issues without uber rig.

You might be running ro2 with clean windows 7 vista 32bit install without any other game app or other 3rd party app installed?

Is your hard drive have 1000?RPM? Did you install ro2 in SSD?

I installed ro2 on system drive maybe that's why I get such horrible performance thean again, I can run GTA4 from system drive in general highest setting rather fantastically, so I still doubt ro2 being properly coded, my arse.

What I mean by memory leaking is total memory consumes up to 1.7G and going up steady till it breach 2.0G line, in small maps if I manually free up mem aggressively, it's kinda ok, in big maps memory leaks like crazy.

Is your ro2 really not showing 30 fps with big map and arty with +12 ppl on server?
Really no stuttering or sound breaks with bunch of players firing weapon simultaneously in the vincinity?
I am seriously doubt it that you're one of the luckiest few that can run without much issues without uber rig.

I consider myself lucky.
I have a 7200rpm hard drive and a 64bit windows 7. The only drivers I keep up-to-date are the video card drivers. Never messed up with game's config files, or driver settings. Checked my ingame settings yesterday and I actually have post-processing and lighting on ultra.

Seeing as you have problems with sounds - it might be your soundcard. Do you by any chance use an USB headset? How many sound channels do you have set in the game's audio options?

Upvote 0
and a forum of happy users

Unfortunately wherever you go there's a forum mixed of people who are pissed off unhappy gamers and happy/content gamers look at Bethesda's forums and EA's forums no matter where you go (besides the sims forum for some reason) half of the people are pissed off while the other half are mellow

Ok maybe I'm exaggerating more like 1/4 or 1/5 of the forum(s)

I understand what you mean but for games like the elder scrolls series I'm too much of a fan not to upgrade my pc to the max and buy their game full price but if your a casual gamer or your addicted to just the one game I can understand hell I played the Darkest Hour mod for a good 2 months (before my computer screwed up)

Upvote 0
I consider myself lucky.
I have a 7200rpm hard drive and a 64bit windows 7. The only drivers I keep up-to-date are the video card drivers. Never messed up with game's config files, or driver settings. Checked my ingame settings yesterday and I actually have post-processing and lighting on ultra.

Seeing as you have problems with sounds - it might be your soundcard. Do you by any chance use an USB headset? How many sound channels do you have set in the game's audio options?

Sound card at 2 channel stereo, no USB headset and have no issue with any other application or games.

Weird stuff, maybe 64bit OS's abililty utilize full 4G is making difference then, 32bit window 7 only recognize 3.45G basically.

Anyway it seems to be safe to say RO2 is very poorly optimized, I actually wanted it to be good.
too bad.

Upvote 0
Anyway it seems to be safe to say RO2 is very poorly optimized, I actually wanted it to be good.
too bad.

Safe to say? It's ludicrous to say otherwise. Worst performing game on my system. (4.8gHz i7, 3 gtx580's)

I get over 80 FPS in Metro 2033, Crysis2 and Battlefield 3.

In RO2 I'm lucky if I get 35- 50 Fps with stutters and drops to 0 along with the sound popping and glitching.

I want my money back. I've got two hours in game and 100 minutes of it is from testing config settings and graphics tweaks to try and get normal framerates.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately wherever you go there's a forum mixed of people who are pissed off unhappy gamers and happy/content gamers look at Bethesda's forums and EA's forums no matter where you go (besides the sims forum for some reason)
Nope, Sims Forum has it too. Sims 3 especially has terrible, absolutely terrible performance. It also has a lot of unexplained bugs, and whenever someone asks EA Support for help they get the usual "Make sure you have updated video drivers," etc.

Upvote 0