• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I won't be buying this game anytime soon

Objectivly speaking - your opinion is biased?

Well, It do makes sense, but obviously I explained it bad.

Now,

If I had absolutely no expectations at all about RO2 I would consider it a lot better. So if the game was called something else my expectations would be flat. However, RO2 is a sequel to RO ost, and my expectations was based on my first experience with the orginal game. I drew a line from there and I expected that I would get (of course more or less) what I got from the first game - especially considering the marketing of RO2, and the fact that it actually is called Red Orchestra.

What I got from waiting all these years was not what I expected and it feels like Tripwire left me behind. It was totally diffrent in terms of game mechanics.The marketing didn't tell me about this either. I bought RO:2 because of the name and a lot of other people did. RO2 is by no doubt a great game but if someone would ask me at the moment if it is a great sequel - I say no, It's not a great sequel. It is at It's core great, but the game mechanics makes it poor. Fortunately, It's not over with RO2. It's not like the game is totally doomed. As a matter of fact It's not a question if Tripwire CAN fix it up, It's a matter of IF they will. There is a lot potential to restore it and make it to what it is supposed to be - a spiritual successor to Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Guys I have been following the forums since this game was released and I have played RO1 for years and thoroughly love that game. However after reading these forums I can't bring myself to buy this game yet. Why?

1) My PC is 4 years old but runs RO1 at the highest detail level (w2ithout any glitches or bugs) and I still love that game.

2) Why would a build my next PC when guys who have the latest and greatest hardware are having all kinds of problems running this game? I'm sorry but this sequel sounds a lot like IL2 and Cliffs of Dover which I am also refusing to buy until that is stabilized.

3) I haven't seen anything compelling enough or new in RO2 to make me buy it yet. There are too few tanks, maps, etc. It seems like its just more of the same from RO1 with a different engine and eye candy. I'm sorry but I won't drop the $'s at this point to buy this game. Money's tight with this up and down stock market, budget deficits, health care ....

Give me a stable platform, a tried and true mod like "Darkest Hour" and a forum of happy users and then I will build my next PC and rush out and buy this game. I will continue to follow these forums and play RO1 at least 10 hours per week until this happens.

Good luck developers on getting this game optimized - I know you can do it. Once that happens I will be happy to put money in your and Bill Gates pockets.:)

Well, actually, I did precisely what you propose to do. I upgraded my entire system at some expense to run 2011 releases. I can honestly tell you that right this moment I am running RO2 at 60 fps with no sound issues. I think the industry in general is at one of those awkward periods of transision where the new releases are far more likely to tax hardware than has been the case in the past. I can see the frustration in the posts, but there ain't no goin back. Might as well upgrade as soon as it's affordable. I'm being quite straight about this. Time waits for no one.

Upvote 0
Guys I just had a chance to read the reponses to my post. Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think that my post would stir things up like they have. However after reading all the positive comments I'm happy to hear that there are many of you who are feeling positive about the game in its current state and are optimistic about its future.

Question: If I were to buy the game through Steam and load it on my current rig would I be able to re download it onto my new build in February 2012 and not pay a 2'nd time?

The reason I ask is I am now tempted to give it a try after hearing about how some of you are running the game on 4 year old computers. I just don't want to dowmload it onto this old machine and find out that maybe I can't run it then have to download and pay for it again in Feb 2012.

The basics of my current machine are:

Time of this report: 5/1/2011, 07:36:40
Operating System: Windows Vista

Upvote 0
This.

Just because more people play RO2 doesn't neccesary mean RO2 is better. RO1 is a old game. Most people are fed up with it nowdays.

BF2 is an old game and it still have populated servers. RO1 had a decent population while in its prime, however even at its peak I never seen the same amount of available servers or players playing RO1 as I did back in the Mod days.

I can still actually find populated servers for RO:CA.... not many, but they do exist, which still speaks volumes on how well RO:CA did.

I wasn't impressed with RO1.... I didn't like the direction it headed and I found that I was only playing RO1 once or twice a week (at best) where I played the mod every single day...... between RO:CA and RO:OF, someone dropped the ball.

Now RO2 has more available servers and players to play against than what I ever saw in RO1.... Tripwire has even said they made more money with RO2 in the last couple of months then they did in the entire lifetime of RO1, so that's saying something.

Yes, a few people bought RO2 with certain expectations and ended up disappointed and/or stopped playing the game completely.... but nobody can make the claim that everybody who paid for RO2 and helped Trip break those sales records fit this description and many people do enjoy the game.

And when more content and more patches are added into the game, it will only increase in sales and increase in players.

Despite the fact that some people consider RO1 better than RO2 that doesn't mean all those people will stick to RO1 and play it simply because it's a quite old game that those people most likely have played a lot already. If RO3 became a fullblown arcade game more people would play it simply because that's what 8% of all gamers want. That's why games like COD and battlefield are so successfull. But it wouldn't make the game better - it would make it worse, simply because the fact that RO isn't about being an arcadegame.

At the moment I wouldn't call RO2 a complete spiritual successor to the orginal Red Orchestra.

*sigh* this again?

Yeah, RO2 isn't a "Spiritual Successor" to RO1..... and RO1 isn't a "Spiritual Successor" to RO:CA, so since that's the case, this argument of "Spiritual Successor" is moot.

The more it moves away from the orginal game the worse it is - no matter if we enjoy the gameplay or not.

Red Orchestra Ostfront is not the Original Game

If RO2 was called something else, like World At War: Heroes of Stalingrad I would automaticly like the game better. Because then my expectations would be completely flat. Because RO2 is supposed to be a SEQUEL to RO1.

From what I remember the devs saying (correct me if I am wrong anyone) they said that RO2 was basically what they wanted RO1 to be..... and I agree.

Overall RO1 was a disappointment for me.

This means that people have certain expectations. Changing direction isn't very loyal to the old customers especially if they aren't informed about this - Which I - and a lot more people - wasn't.

worfisfrustratedmz8.gif

Tripwire told everybody what was being included into RO2. Stats, Unlocks, Heroes, Cover System, Suppression, the Weapons, Maps, Vehicles, Realism, Relaxed Realism, etc. etc..... they provided countless screenshots and gameplay videos of what to expect, so drop the whole "poor me, we weren't informed" crap, because nobody's buying it.

I bought the game because it was a sequel to the first RO1 which I loved and still love to play. If COD became a combat simulator I wouldn't like that either. Because COD isn't about that. Any game that completely change direction lose It's meaning to why it was created in the first place.

:rolleyes:

Just a question; Giving content... do you mean DLC's? Because those are generally sold and not given. I may be wrong, but I don't think TWI will be throwing us loads of free content. Just because the game contains a lot of errors is not a logical reason to buy the game. It's TWI's job to fix those things. Also, I doubt TWI will change the direction of this game by making it more like the orginal RO. Which is one of the important fixes. The people that did most of the work with keeping RO1 alive was modders.

Again, you show your ignorance.

Before the game was even close to being released they said that any new vehicles, weapons, maps or whatever that they make for RO2 in the future would be free content for everybody to download and install on their systems.

Do you even remember how much content was in RO1 when it was first released? Certainly less than what is in it now..... and besides paying for the game itself, I never had to dish out another cent for anything else that was added in later..... and I don't expect to pay for additional content for RO2.

They are not sure if their official mods will be free or something you pay a small amount for, but that's it.... so those could also be free, depending on the situation and/or how well the mods do.

Everything in the mod was obviously free..... everything in RO1 was free, including DH and MN, and many of the things in Killing Floor were either free as well, or given to you if you purchased another game, etc...... to think that Trip will suddenly switch to an EA mentality and charge people for new maps and such clearly shows you know nothing about Tripwire or the history of RO.

- Less command system isn't more realistic.

The command system is actually more dynamic and provides many more options than the limited command menu in RO1 or RO:CA.

The weaponhandling isn't more realistic (not saying RO1s was either - but it was a lot more realistic than in RO2)

Based on what? Subjective guesses and asumptions on how you think it should be?

-The current bandage system isn't more realistic.

And neither was RO1's getting shot in the leg, slowing down for a few seconds and then running off as if nothing happened, where the player didn't have to do anything to stop bleeding or fixing an injury.... you slowed down and then it was like nothing ever happened., so both cancel each other out in regards to what's more "Real"

-Lockdown timer isn't more realistic.

That part I can agree with you on..... I wouldn't mind if they left it in, but letting server admins have the ability to turn it on or off would be nice.

-Tactical view isn't more realistic.

And neither was a useless floating compass.

- The maps isn't more realistic

The maps are vastly more realistic, vastly more detailed and overall far more superior to anything in RO1..... even the mod had better maps than RO1, so much so that most of the stock maps everybody loves in RO1 were ported from the mod.

- The skillpoints isn't more realistic

Yes they are.... a seasoned soldier who has had real battle experience and has ranked up in their career are going to be more skilled, more experienced and a better soldier than some new recruit who just set foot on their first battlefield.

Statistics simulate the above.

- The onlocks isn't more realistic.

Yes they are, as no military is stupid enough to give the higher quality and/or prototype weapons to new recruits who stand a greater chance of dying on their first day on the battlefield.

- Above all - the current gameplay is far from more realistic than in RO1.

I have yet to see any real evidence proving this.

Realize that RO2 is for a wider audience which will automaticly eliminate certain realistic features in the game.

If it was called Something else I can give it 8/10.

As a sequel to RO OST I give it 5/10

As a sequel to the overall Red Orchestra "Series" I'd give RO2 a 9.5, with the 0.5 being for the expected bugs at release..... RO1 would be a 6 out of 10..... if it wasn't for the current level of content Trip added into RO1 over the years, I would have given it a 4.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Guys I have been following the forums since this game was released and I have played RO1 for years and thoroughly love that game. However after reading these forums I can't bring myself to buy this game yet. Why?

1) My PC is 4 years old but runs RO1 at the highest detail level (w2ithout any glitches or bugs) and I still love that game.

2) Why would a build my next PC when guys who have the latest and greatest hardware are having all kinds of problems running this game? I'm sorry but this sequel sounds a lot like IL2 and Cliffs of Dover which I am also refusing to buy until that is stabilized.

3) I haven't seen anything compelling enough or new in RO2 to make me buy it yet. There are too few tanks, maps, etc. It seems like its just more of the same from RO1 with a different engine and eye candy. I'm sorry but I won't drop the $'s at this point to buy this game. Money's tight with this up and down stock market, budget deficits, health care ....

Give me a stable platform, a tried and true mod like "Darkest Hour" and a forum of happy users and then I will build my next PC and rush out and buy this game. I will continue to follow these forums and play RO1 at least 10 hours per week until this happens.

Good luck developers on getting this game optimized - I know you can do it. Once that happens I will be happy to put money in your and Bill Gates pockets.:)

If you have actually played RO1 for years and like the game and you have not actually played RO2 or even own it, then you cannot judge at all whether you like it or not, or whether you should be buying it or not (and with your Oct 2011 join date I doubt you spent much time at all playing RO1 or like I am about to say you joined just to complain....but haven't actually played so are an even lower form of complainer).

These forums are only a very small portion of the actual game community; most players never come to the forums, and those that do tend in a much higher proportion to have a "complaint" about the game and are here to whine.

The game costs under $40. Just buy it. Play it for 2 or 3 months, then leave a review as an RO vet of the previous game. Only then can you actually speak to anything with any knowledge besides picking and choosing stuff you think might be a problem.

This post you have left is just an uninformed, completely inexperienced review based on you reading the complaints of players who choose to come here to whine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BF2 is an old game and it still have populated servers. RO1 had a decent population while in its prime, however even at its peak I never seen the same amount of available servers or players playing RO1 as I did back in the Mod days.I can still actually find populated servers for RO:CA.... not many, but they do exist, which still speaks volumes on how well RO:CA did.
I wasn't impressed with RO1.... I didn't like the direction it headed and I found that I was only playing RO1 once or twice a week (at best) where I played the mod every single day...... between RO:CA and RO:OF, someone dropped the ball.
Now RO2 has more available servers and players to play against than what I ever saw in RO1.... Tripwire has even said they made more money with RO2 in the last couple of months then they did in the entire lifetime of RO1, so that's saying something.
Yes, a few people bought RO2 with certain expectations and ended up disappointed and/or stopped playing the game completely.... but nobody can make the claim that everybody who paid for RO2 and helped Trip break those sales records fit this description and many people do enjoy the game.
And when more content and more patches are added into the game, it will only increase in sales and increase in players.
*sigh* this again?
Yeah, RO2 isn't a "Spiritual Successor" to RO1..... and RO1 isn't a "Spiritual Successor" to RO:CA, so since that's the case, this argument of "Spiritual Successor" is moot.
Red Orchestra Ostfront is not the Original Game
From what I remember

the devs saying (correct me if I am wrong anyone) they said that RO2 was basically what they wanted RO1 to be..... and I agree.
Overall RO1 was a disappointment for me.
Tripwire told everybody what was being included into RO2. Stats, Unlocks, Heroes, Cover System, Suppression, the Weapons, Maps, Vehicles, Realism, Relaxed Realism, etc. etc..... they provided countless screenshots and gameplay videos of what to expect, so drop the whole "poor me, we weren't informed" crap, because nobody's buying it.
Again, you show your ignorance.

Before the game was even close to being released they said that any new vehicles, weapons, maps or whatever that they make for RO2 in the future would be free content for everybody to download and install on their systems.

Do you even remember how much content was in RO1 when it was first released? Certainly less than what is in it now..... and besides paying for the game itself, I never had to dish out another cent for anything else that was added in later..... and I don't expect to pay for additional content for RO2.
They are not sure if their official mods will be free or something you pay a small amount for, but that's it.... so those could also be free, depending on the situation and/or how well the mods do.
Everything in the mod was obviously free..... everything in RO1 was free, including DH and MN, and many of the things in Killing Floor were either free as well, or given to you if you purchased another game, etc...... to think that Trip will suddenly switch to an EA mentality and charge people for new maps and such clearly shows you know nothing about Tripwire or the history of RO.

Of course more people played BF2. It's a game that are suited for 80% of all gamers out there, what did you expect? The more realism you add into a game the more niche the audience will become that plays it. With RO2; A lot of people are dissapointed with the game simply because they thought it would be more like RO1 and not like COD/BF. Because as it is now RO2 is made for a wider audience which automaticly makes the whole game worse. Saying that ''RO2 was what they wanted RO1 to become'' doesn't tell very much at all especially since you don't have any source that confirms this. Second, it doesn't matter, because RO1 never became like RO2.

The fact that many people here on this board doesn't enjoy the game and complain about certain gamemechanics, and the realism itself, tells quite a lot. The overall gamers outside of this board won't stick with the game for to long:

In the end, it is like in must game, that only the must dedicated players are left, and in RO2's case I doubt the will be left unless the game is fixed up - which it may be by modders. We may also consider that popularity doesn't have anything to do with how good a game is. If the creators of Arma made arma 3 into a arcadegame the game would become more popular. More people would buy it, and it would make Bohemia Inc. complete sellout and their corefans would rage agianst them. But it wouldn't do the game better. It would only mean that they sold our their fans and changed the direction of the series. In order to judge a game you have to look at it's meaning in the first place and don't tell me that people leave RO2 for no reason, and that there are no complaints by no reason. When it comes to greed, I know TWI isn't on that side of things, and that's one of the reasons why I support them, and why I support companies such as Bohemia interactive. But with the direction TWI was headed I've been more or more doubtfull.

The command system is actually more dynamic and provides many more options than the limited command menu in RO1 or RO:CA.

While it contains more options, such as being able to give orders to a certain units, the command system in overall is stripped down and simplified. Put it into a console game and it would work perfectly which kinda tells how stripped down it is. But it's more accesible, though.

Based on what? Subjective guesses and asumptions on how you think it should be?.

Military combat simulators such as Virtual Battlespace 2 and the ridiculous fact that you can mow down hords of enemies running around with a MG in RO2 which isn't normal nor realistic in any sense.

And neither was RO1's getting shot in the leg, slowing down for a few seconds and then running off as if nothing happened, where the player didn't have to do anything to stop bleeding or fixing an injury.... you slowed down and then it was like nothing ever happened., so both cancel each other out in regards to what's more "Real"?
No, it wasn't more realistic than in RO1. But in RO2? Yes, a lot more, since it actually punished the player. RO2 is quite forgiving.

And neither was a useless floating compass.
A compass feels a lot more authentic and realistic than HUD that shows up on the screen and shows exactly where the enemy CAP is. It's very good in terms of making the game accesible for people but it makes the game even more arcade.

The maps are vastly more realistic, vastly more detailed and overall far more superior to anything in RO1..... even the mod had better maps than RO1, so much so that most of the stock maps everybody loves in RO1 were ported from the mod.

The maps in RO2 are away to small and limited. I barely get spawnkilled on the orginal maps for RO1 and they are - in overall, less restricting, and you don't instantly die because you step into a Protected Area. The maps in RO2 are designed to keep the gameplay speed up all the time.

Yes they are.... a seasoned soldier who has had real battle experience and has ranked up in their career are going to be more skilled, more experienced and a better soldier than some new recruit who just set foot on their first battlefield.

No, there is nothing realistic with earning skillpoints. Especially not in real-life. Skillpoints in games aren't about skills, it's about an aid that the game awards you with for playing it. In RO1 you had to learn the game itself, and how to handle the weapons, and that required real skills which you attained from practising - and you had to be aware of it otherwise you wouldn't learn.

Statistics simulate the above.
Yes they are, as no military is stupid enough to give the higher quality and/or prototype weapons to new recruits who stand a greater chance of dying on their first day on the battlefield..

It's funny, because you defend completely unrealistic stuff as Skillpoints, simply because doing that would increase your ability in the game (I'm not making an assumption that you're a bad player - but no matter how good or bad someone is - skillpoints is still an aid) but you don't like when I talk about adding more realistic features in the game.

Unlocks weren't added in RO2 with realism in the mind of TWI. It was added to make the game more accesible and fun and most of all - appealing to the 80% of all gamers which want exactly this in games. It's to make people keep on playing it in order to strive for something. Because if you're a Hero you are THE boss. Unfortunately, forcing players to ''Unlock'' stuff is just stupid.mWhen you buy a game it should all be included. Not like ''Well, you have to play or game for roughly x hours in order to unlock this and that..''. This is just another attempt to follow the line to success by doing like battlefield and COD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I for one, have lots of fps games COD MW2, GRAW2, BFBC2, Crysis wars, Crysis 2, RO1, ARMA2, ARMA2 OA, GTA4, red faction guerrila, red faction armaggeddon.
Most are very cpu taxing, gfx heavy games and yes, most have nicer graphic than ro2.
You listed about 50% ****ty games and at least one cant be played online.
MW2 is the worst FPS game in history that almost destroyed fps gaming on the pc.
BFBC2 had network issues that make the ones in RO2 seem almost nonexistent and the frostbyte engine cant be modded.

So dice says you either play our game or you dont, also the servers cant be customized very much. (relaxed realism or realism kill cam on or off forget it) your server then showed as hardcore even though it wasnt.

The stat system encouraged bad behaviour that would make your team lose not so in RO2 because when you camp in your spawn lockdown will make you lose.

I dont know why you only look at graphics when Ro2 has the gameplay that pc gamers always wanted and that they dont get in other titles.
Now everybody whines at minor things

Reactions: catfish@rock
Upvote 0
I really don't care for bugs and poor performance. For me RO2 is kinda disappointment because 2 things:
1)Too much "clever" features that came out as not so important as they sounded. Like cover system - I bet if it wasn't implemented nobody would cry over this. Or healing - I prefered RO1's shooting weapon out of hand or slowind down enemy over some random shot wounds that is healed with speed of a professor in medicine. And I don't like how tanks are implemented. Where we came to no 2:
2) Scale. Or more precisely a lack of scale. RO1 was great with its big, CA maps, that were brutally simple and unbalanced. In Ro2 I realy don't feel this scale. Maps are extremely boring and dull. I feel like I'm playing on some artifical paintball field rather than digital version of real battlefields. And tanks - in RO2good tanker could turn certain loss to victory. Tanks were feared and more important, useful. In RO2 due to maps design tank either stands back and is useless or goes into front line and dies seconds later because of AT nades. For me RO2 is too much "infantry only" focused game. If it's called war game then it should be goddamn war game - if enemy infantry defence is too strong I'll use tank support, then seconds later I have to run away with my tank just not to be shot by ground attack plane or artillery.
And last but not least - detroyable envoirment. If enemy hides in wooden shed I want to blow up this wooden shed with tank or artillery, not to snipe with shells through small window.

Oh and one more thing - have you ever noticed that RO2 is quite similar to CoD:WaW hardcore?

Reactions: catfish@rock
Upvote 0
Give RO2 time, Stalingrad did not have the huge terrain that you are used to in RO1. About the only thing that comes close is Spartanovka right now with the stock maps. When the SDK is released the mod maps will start populating right away.

Stalingrad isn't the problem, but map and game design force people to play it in gun'n'run way. Just take a look on where trenches are on Spartanovka map - between houses, which make them barely useful.

If you take a look here, there is plenty open space for long range combat. Stalingrad battle wasn't only battle in urban area, but outskirts.

link

RO:O had many urban maps that felt more epic and like real battlefields than RO2 has, for example Kriegstadt.

Also most players have access to automatic weapons and bolts are minority - it's another issue, but it was reported many many times.

Reactions: Cyper
Upvote 0
The CoD games are based off of the Quake 3 engine. It's been modified, but it's core is more than 6 years old.

Not so much optimized as it is undemanding of your hardware. ;)

ok cod series was poor example.

crysis 2(dx11), crysis wars(dx10), crysis warhead(dx10), gta4, red faction guerrilla, red faction armaggeddon(dx11) run rather fantastically with my rig.

point is gta4, which ais generally regarded as a poorly optimized game, runs with avg 56.xx fps with no stuttering, no dipping fps, no sound issues with my rig, fps of 50-110.

If you check some video clips, you will know red faction guerrilla, and red faction armaggeddon are also very cpu taxing games with virtually every object in game is destructible to pieces, and process is calculated through cpu, it's not scripted gimmicks.

I am saying RO2 shows the poorest, very undesirable performance results with my rig that can run above games rather fantastically, meaing ro2 is one of the badly optimized games I bought to date.

Frankly speaking, it is the worst performing game I bought to date.

This seems to be TWI's fault to rush out product without proper polishing, and pure code failure.
and UE3 was around for what 4 years now?

Last edited:
Upvote 0