• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I hoped to love RO2

When I first started playing RO1, I thought to myself who would ever play this game as it was too difficult, too steep a learning curve, and just plain not an arcade type game? However, for what ever reason, maybe the challenge, I slowly kept coming back to RO1. Soon, I found myself addicted and began learning the maps, the tricks, the hiding places, bayonet thrusts, etc. I, in effect, mastered the game and getting killed at every turn soon waned. Now I try to place in the top of the kill ladder. However, that took lots of practice and patience. I read the same complaints about RO2 that I had with the original. Just give it time, practice and patience and RO2 will become the game we all want.
Just my 2 cents
`swamp

Upvote 0
I think the scale is gone.

RO1 maps where huge, alot of variety in units, terrain and structures.

RO2 matches feel WAY to quick and small, like popular games already out.

Once the devs release more content and modders work on maps we will once again have that feeling of epic battles.

Exactly my feelings SunKing. The game is incredible, but I just don't have that 'epic' feeling while playing it.

Hopefully once the new vehicles start to arrive, especially troop carriers, the maps can be designed to have that more open battle feeling that RO had.

I would LOVE to have a 'Berzina' style map with this engine!

Upvote 0
When I first started playing RO1, I thought to myself who would ever play this game as it was too difficult, too steep a learning curve, and just plain not an arcade type game? However, for what ever reason, maybe the challenge, I slowly kept coming back to RO1. Soon, I found myself addicted and began learning the maps, the tricks, the hiding places, bayonet thrusts, etc. I, in effect, mastered the game and getting killed at every turn soon waned. Now I try to place in the top of the kill ladder. However, that took lots of practice and patience. I read the same complaints about RO2 that I had with the original. Just give it time, practice and patience and RO2 will become the game we all want.
Just my 2 cents
`swamp

Totally agree. I mean, its just a game after all. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm still only playing the Axis campaign and haven't touched MP yet, but I'm very satisfied with RO2 so far. The reloading times seem quite a bit sped up from Ostfront, perhaps a little less realistic, but not a huge deal. The game still feels very realistic to me. To me, the game has a lot more atmosphere then what Ostfront could achieve.

Upvote 0
Coming from RO1, im amazingly dissapointed in this game.

There is something missing from it that i cant quite put my finger on.
There doesnt seem to be much of an atmosphere to it.
I dont give a hoot about the map im playing on, where as in RO1 the battles were so epic, the teamwork so important, that every inch of ground you take, made it mean something.

its so generic this game its unreal.
RO1 used to stand out because it was hard, unforgiving and rewarding.

This game is just plain boring, bordering on frustrating and just MEH.

They should have focused it plainly and solely on RO, not trying to make the best of both worlds, coz lets be honest, when COD MW3 comes out, then that will b a far better game for the COD guys, and they will leave.
Then BF3 will come out, and again people will leave.

I was going to say we would be left with the RO guys, but considering this doesnt feel like an RO sequal at all, im not so sure...

As much as i hate to say it, but i'd much rather be playing one of those right now, solely based on the fact that they will at least run well.:(

I have no faith in tripwire giving us the game we were expecting.
I do however have faith in modders crafting us what should have been a true RO sequal
or at least providing something similar.

I will continue to play the game, but until they at least get these rediculous performance problems corrected, i will be truly regretful that i spent money on this, as it still feels like Beta.
They really should have delayed this.

I mean, fairplay that a small group can pull this off.
But if it was up to me, i would put every ounce of my effort into keeping a solid reputation thats built up from RO1 and stuck with it, at least to be safe.

I never usually moan about any game, i just uninstall it and dont play.
But i want to like this game so much, as i was so looking forward to play it
And since everyone and their mother is posting feedback on the game, i thought i'd add my 2 pennies.

C'mon you modders! :D

you spelt sequel wrong. twice.

Upvote 0
Exactly my feelings SunKing. The game is incredible, but I just don't have that 'epic' feeling while playing it.

Hopefully once the new vehicles start to arrive, especially troop carriers, the maps can be designed to have that more open battle feeling that RO had.

I would LOVE to have a 'Berzina' style map with this engine!

I am starting to like RO2 now. It must be the server but I jumped into a realistic server and everything played well. I originaly gave this game a 6/10. But now on the right server with proper server settings I give it an 7/10!

Upvote 0
I have to agree completly, in order to make money they had to make a game open to a wider audience, even if it means the game will have lots of CoD elements, because those are the ones which attract customers and their money. When another modding community that doesn't need money to live will show up and make a realistic game like RO was everybody will be happy, but now RO2 is the closest thing to that.
TWI is no longer a group of modders it's a company right? And it needs money to keep working.

It is not an issue about making money, TWI could have catered to both RO1 fans and casual players equally. TWI added a lot of new features to appeal to the mainstream, a mode that largely removed those new features and gave a more RO1 like experience could have satisfied the RO1 fans, and it would not have taken much work to do because TWI would only have had to remove features.

TWI did not even make the effort, in fact they flat out lied to the concerned players on the forum by saying the MKB would be VERY rare, that the concerns about weapon mods were being blown out of proprotion and all would be fine. None of that is true, it is as bad as many people feared it would be. Hardcore realism is barely more realistic than relaxed realism, and certainly no more historical.

This outrage has nothing to do with TWI trying to broaden its customer base, it has everything to do with with TWI disrespecting its long term base by not putting in the effort to even be honest with them. It should have been obvious the current situation would not be well received by the old vets, why did TWI decieve them about what would happen when saying the MKB and ATV40 and MP40/2 and whatnot would be rare when they were not?

All they had to do was add a third realism setting (call it historical realism) that removed most unlocks, gave the PPSH its drum, cut down on semi's and auto's, and made bolts more common, and most peopls anger would have been averted. Did TWI feel the vets were not worth the effort?

Reactions: Scarf Ace
Upvote 0
Seems to me that RO2 is more like how TWI wanted to make RO1 in the first place, but they were limited by available resources. Either it's your "cup of tea" or not. Hearing RO1 "vets" go on and on about the good ol' days gets really old. I remember just as much complaining and moaning here on the forums about problems/complaints back then. Move on and realize nothing is going to be the way you want it unless you make it. It's a different game. Have fun.

Upvote 0
Seems to me that RO2 is more like how TWI wanted to make RO1 in the first place, but they were limited by available resources. Either it's your "cup of tea" or not. Hearing RO1 "vets" go on and on about the good ol' days gets really old. I remember just as much complaining and moaning here on the forums about problems/complaints back then. Move on and realize nothing is going to be the way you want it unless you make it. It's a different game. Have fun.

It's the same with every sequel of every game.

Upvote 0
Lack of atmosphere and/or the epicness/ importance of trying to win on a map.

Random FPS drops, arty FPS drops, poor optimization for many people including me.

Stats not working.

VOIP making people sound like Chewbakka, which is in fact a very good resource for teamwork.

Mediocre maps that almost seem to encourage solo play. Comiisars house and grain elevator are good however.

The use key that does 3 things in one.

The recon plane, that spots enemies, when pressing T brings up "enemy xxxx spotted" with rediculously big icons.

The cover system which when used, still makes you vulnerable to headshots.

Prone that gets stuck on some open areas.

Clunky controls, in which at rare times, your character could not do what you wanted him to do.

The radial orders menu that is overcomplicated resulting in you giving the wrong orders accidentally.

Being unable to respond to orders.

No1 caring about orders.

Being unable to mark artillery with squad leader any further than 100m away.

Mounted MG emplacements, which i would have loved to be a choice of weapon for the MG'er.

MG'er recoil when deployed being too high.

Lockdown being in the game.

anything else?

Spot on post right here.

Upvote 0
This thread is full of ****.

How is RO2 worse than RO1???????
All I see is improvements in every aspect, some bugs here and there which obviously will get fixed.

How can the atmosphere be worse? With all the new battlecries and animations????
There is actually more initiative to win this time around because of the leveling system.....

So please lock this thread because the OP has lost his mind and needs to lubricate his e-peen better.

If you're not able to identify what is disappointing you about this game, then your complaint is completely worthless. Because you're basically complaining without giving the developers the chance to improve upon what you think they're doing wrong.

So in my opinion, this entire thread does not make any sense and should be locked.

Red Orchestra 2 instead of building upon Red Orchestra 1 takes away all of the features that made it unique.
*The battlecries are f***ing stupid,all those do is give away your position or give away the position of enemies. (no fun,not at all)
*The lack of weapon sway makes pointing and aiming too easy
*The fast aiming down the sight makes the freeaim system worthless
*Autobolting/autoreloading makes checking your ammo meaningless.
*The "CTRL key for everything" makes giving ammo to a machine gunner behind cover impossible.
*The tanking system is terrible because now you HAVE to look through the scope to turn the tank turret.
*There is no penalty for being shot,just press the "all actions in one" CTRL key and hope your guy doesn't go into cover instead. (You cant get your legs crippled,you cant have your arms messed up in a way that slows down weapon swap)
*There is a constant forced respawning in territory.
*Spawning off of a squad leader makes getting to the battlefield easier,thus takes away the travel penalties of getting killed.
*Weapon unlocks,perks,and leveling up encourages killwhoring/bad camping.
*You can fire right after sprinting in ro2 which encourages running and gunning.
*You can't remove your bayonet in red orchestra 2 which means your gun sticks out of a window a bit more and makes you easier to spot.
*Stamina comes back super-fast in ro2. (there's no weapon-sway penalty if your stamina is low either)
*You can't have your weapon shot out of your hand in ro2 (or shoot the weapon out of an enemie's hand),which takes away one of the thrilling unpredictable moments of the first game.
*Reloading is done too quickly in red orchestra 2,when compared to ostfront (checking your ammo doesn't have as much of a point anymore).
*Holdbreath zoom/ironsight zoom is just terrible. A riflemen gets what is essentially a sniper scope without any blindspots. (The 3d scope system gives the sniper a doughnut shaped blindspot)

Anyone who says Red Orchestra 2 in it's state is better than red orchestra ostfront/darkest hour is either a troll or a battlefield player.

Last edited:
Reactions: PsYcHo126
Upvote 0
Lack of atmosphere and/or the epicness/ importance of trying to win on a map.

Random FPS drops, arty FPS drops, poor optimization for many people including me.

Stats not working.

VOIP making people sound like Chewbakka, which is in fact a very good resource for teamwork.

Mediocre maps that almost seem to encourage solo play. Comiisars house and grain elevator are good however.

The use key that does 3 things in one.

The recon plane, that spots enemies, when pressing T brings up "enemy xxxx spotted" with rediculously big icons.

The cover system which when used, still makes you vulnerable to headshots.

Prone that gets stuck on some open areas.

Clunky controls, in which at rare times, your character could not do what you wanted him to do.

The radial orders menu that is overcomplicated resulting in you giving the wrong orders accidentally.

Being unable to respond to orders.

No1 caring about orders.

Being unable to mark artillery with squad leader any further than 100m away.

Mounted MG emplacements, which i would have loved to be a choice of weapon for the MG'er.

MG'er recoil when deployed being too high.

Lockdown being in the game.

anything else?

The comical cybernetic eye (zoom key)

Upvote 0
with all respect to the loyal people and community, but do you seriously expect them to create a game just for that, well let's be very generous, 1000 players?

They might be small with small overheads etc, but the would not be able to survive more then a year (maybe even less)

Well I would've hoped they make the best damned game possible, without feeling like they have to add gimmicks like unlocks. Not only do the unlocks annoy the historical authenticity crowd, but they give a sense of a game being pulled in two completely different directions (between realism and wtfrealism).

I wouldve hoped that TW made a great game, that like RO1, was more disimilar to the rest of the playing field than RO2 is. That after the smoke clears from all of the AAA unimaginative FPS titles that are sure to dissapoint this year, RO2 would be the hardcore game that is still standing.

Upvote 0
I dont give a hoot about the map im playing on, where as in RO1 the battles were so epic, the teamwork so important, that every inch of ground you take, made it mean something.

this :)
and now im stucked with some idiotic "features" like lockdown or forced clicks on a spawnscreen wich most of the time does nothing.

i just wanted ro1 with better grafics (like 90% of ro1 players i guess) but instead we got ro2 :)

Upvote 0
with all respect to the loyal people and community, but do you seriously expect them to create a game just for that, well let's be very generous, 1000 players?

They might be small with small overheads etc, but the would not be able to survive more then a year (maybe even less)

this is what ive been saying...

people dont like change. I for one love the RO2 for what it is. Its a perfect mix of realism and fun. Deal with it.

Upvote 0