• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I do not think there is poor hit detection.

stray cat

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2011
The awesome shock of seeing a TW developer made my arms turn into jello, ergo my terrible aim.. and the terrifying thunderous gunfire from my Mkb made Wilson freeze in his tracks

bhePF.gif

The only correct way to kill a developer is with an Mkb 42 :p

I do not think there is bad hit registration in this game. Let's take a look at this gif. It was used to point out problems with hit reg, but I think that issue does not exist. If you look carefully, the target falls dead with the 8th shot. And it appears that only the 6th, 7th and 8th shot do actually hit. All shots before are near misses. And since not every hit has to be lethal instantly, this gif proved that hit reg is reliable.
Unlike other games, in RO2, the bullets fly along a path at which the barrel is pointing (unlike in other games where a simple approximated cone of dispersion is used). At least that is what my impression is, developers correct please if I am wrong.

And from my experience, I think hitreg is spot on. I regularly play on very large servers in the US (I live in Europe) and I get a 190 ping at times. Yet I can hit sidewards running targets on extreme distances.

Example:
c187m.jpg

I think people mistake the very realistic feature that "your gun is shooting at where your barrel points" for crappy hitreg, which is especially noticable in close combat. I had not a single occurence where hit detection let me down. Yes I had situations where I started firing on an enemy on close combat only to have him spin around and kill me, however in every case he was either wounded and bandaged, wounded and died later, or I simply missed.

The problem is there's nothing wrong with that .gif at all.

When you see shots not register you will know it.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=939048&postcount=46

Copy-pasting my answer from that thread.

"Look at the video again. You missed a couple of times, then hit him in the leg and buttocks 2-3 times and twice in the arm. Then he dropped. I'm willing to bet that one hit to torso would've killed him.

I'm not saying there isn't a hitreg problem but this video isn't showing it. It's when you shoot someone in the chest and there is NO blood and only puff from the wall behind him."

Upvote 0
I do not think there is bad hit registration in this game. Let's take a look at this gif. It was used to point out problems with hit reg, but I think that issue does not exist. If you look carefully, the target falls dead with the 8th shot. And it appears that only the 6th, 7th and 8th shot do actually hit. All shots before are near misses. And since not every hit has to be lethal instantly, this gif proved that hit reg is reliable.
Unlike other games, in RO2, the bullets fly along a path at which the barrel is pointing (unlike in other games where a simple approximated cone of dispersion is used). At least that is what my impression is, developers correct please if I am wrong.

And from my experience, I think hitreg is spot on. I regularly play on very large servers in the US (I live in Europe) and I get a 190 ping at times. Yet I can hit sidewards running targets on extreme distances.

Example:
c187m.jpg

I think people mistake the very realistic feature that "your gun is shooting at where your barrel points" for crappy hitreg, which is especially noticable in close combat. I had not a single occurence where hit detection let me down. Yes I had situations where I started firing on an enemy on close combat only to have him spin around and kill me, however in every case he was either wounded and bandaged, wounded and died later, or I simply missed.

I hit a guy in the head and it registers it as a heart shot :rolleyes:

Reactions: The_Emperor
Upvote 0
There are problems. I've been seeing reports ever since late July way before the DDE beta. To this day, I experience hit registration issues on every single round of Ro2 that I play. I'm going to start running fraps to try to catch this stuff.

The trick is figuring out what's causing it, not determining IF there is an issue.

Upvote 0
the issues with hit reg become painfully obvious at close range, I too am of the opinion that hitting at long range is mostly consistent.

This is why I think poor hitreg does not exist. because on very close range you get a lot of these near misses simply because your barrel was just a bit off target. And players are used to a more primitive system in other FPS that basically guarantee a specific cone of spread which on very close distance would have been a kill.

Upvote 0
This is why I think poor hitreg does not exist. because on very close range you get a lot of these near misses simply because your barrel was just a bit off target. And players are used to a more primitive system in other FPS that basically guarantee a specific cone of spread which on very close distance would have been a kill.
You're just making **** up, what basis do you have for claims of bad hit reg actually being cases of players "having their barrel just a bit off target"?.

Do you think every close distance kill is done by sporadic spraying? It has nothing to do with cone of spread or other FPS, a rifle pointed at the chest is fired. The bullet leaves the barrel, goes through the person (causing no damage) and hits the wall behind him.

I have had this happen with everything from the PPSH to the Kar98, in some cases I was behind folks casually camping a window. I'll fire and I'll see the bullet hitting something between me and whoever I'm trying to kill (can see the smoke).

RO2's shooting mechanics aren't rocket science, especially not at close ranges.

Upvote 0
- I never had any hitreg issues
- people report hitreg issues on close range but no on far ranges = strong indicator to a lot of near misses, as you can see on that gif
- "I don't have a problem, so there isn't a problem!"
- It's easier to see if you hit on close ranges, what are you talking about?

There is no strong indicator of anything, all I can see on that .gif is someone who is terrible with the MKB42.

Reactions: DasFist
Upvote 0
If there is actual clear proof of hitreg failing, as in a straight shot aimed down the sights on a standing target then it exists. But so far I never ever experienced that on all different pings. And you can see that people could easily confuse near misses with poor hitreg.

I'd take a video, but my performance in RO2 is bad enough already. I'm only pulling 30-40 fps on a good day, fraps will make it look like a powerpoint.

Plus, it's random. I'd have to record several games worth of footage to get one that is undeniably a hitreg failure. I don't have that kind of HDD space.

Upvote 0
If you are getting poor performance and fairly high ping times it's possible you are getting incorrect misses, but not neccessarily anything to do with hitreg.

The only thing that has worked for me is to crank the graphics up higher, which resulted in higher frames per second which makes no sense, but it worked.

I've only ever experienced what I thought may be hitreg issues when I've had people running at 90 degrees to me. The problem is, that could be an inconsistent ping, simply human error or a combination of them all. I've never seen any conclusive evidence.

However, you do often not fire on the first click. Which is for me completely gamebreaking and baffling as to why it wasn't fixed very quickly. Until they fix that I cannot play the game as it simply doesn't work.

Upvote 0
It's not just shots - some days ago I tried stabbing a prone enemy that wasn't aware of me. After three stabs that did nothing (and no way those could have missed, I was standing right on top of him), he noticed me and began to move, so I shot him - still nothing (though to be honest, we where both moving around by this point, so I might have legitimately missed the shot). He then unloaded on me with his SVT40 (while still prone, with me standing above/in him - would love to know how that would work in reality) and killed me.

Upvote 0